Captain
# 61
02-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
At this rate, I'm thinking of having my KDF captain encounter Lambert during a retelling of the Fekri arc.
By all means feel free to use the character All I'd established for him thus far, was that he is one eighth Quch'Ha Klingon on his mother's side, yet behaved as if he was full-blood Klingon, going so far as to wear a vintage (TOS era) baldric over his Starfleet uniform, and had inherited his great-grandfather's mek'leth... He was named for Kor's father, so may be Kor's grandson... Other than that, he was a blank slate which I never got round to writing, so if you think you can do something with him, please feel free
Captain
# 62
02-21-2013, 04:41 PM
How long can these be? I have an idea for a story, but it's kind of like a mini-episode story.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Captain
# 63
02-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
He was going to Gre'thor as a dishonored warrior...
I see...I was just checking since in the game we find Gre'thor mentioned a lot more than Sto-Vo-Kor, and players sometimes make that mistake.

Quote:
There's no honor in attacking a foe who cannot defend themselves, in kicking someone when they're down, and that's exactly what Lambert did when he fired on the damaged cube. Add to that the fact that he was acting without authorization, he had truly shamed himself with his actions, and would have definitely have been facing a court-martial for what he did...
Indeed.

Quote:
Then there's the way in which he dispatched himself... Both the hegh'bat and mauk-to'Vor, require a Second to provide the blade, or strike the killing blow, and while Amanda did wipe the blade on her sleeve as per tradition, Lambert did it all himself, which was against tradition, so some might argue that he had not truly redeemed himself, and he may well find himself on the Barge of the Dead...
I had not thought about that commonality between those two rituals, but you're right...under Klingon beliefs it's possible that would've been an issue.

Quote:
I figured Amanda naming a specific person as a template would have been better than saying "guestimate a Human version of the Borg Queen's body", and equally, although I was tempted to have her suggest Meliden use herself as the template, I figured it may have come across as a bit sexual harassmenty, rather than complimentary
Yeah, agreed that neither of those options would've been good. Even Alyosha, who is for all intents and purposes asexual (he experiences no physical attraction to humans and I think that his disgust with the behavior of his own species would be so severe he would never experience attraction there either), would understand that he shouldn't suggest that.

Quote:
Also, don't forget that in the Academy Days entry, there was the throwaway line that Amanda also liked women, so not such a totally unrealistic comment for her to make, but I'm glad that the revision worked better
While that does make it a bit less "unlikely," I guess in my experience women do have a tendency to have a different attitude towards that sort of "entertainment," regardless of the gender they're attracted to. So yes, the revision does seem to work better.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Commander
# 64
02-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
How long can these be? I have an idea for a story, but it's kind of like a mini-episode story.
I don't think there's any actual length limit, but I know for a fact that there is a time limit (ie until the end of next week).
Captain
# 65
02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
ambassadormolari: What a chilling threat at the end there. I wonder if the Iconians did that? We have seen their skill with computer viruses, after all. Also, Arkos was quite clever there in how he dispatched the threat.

Hopefully my entry will be up over the weekend. I'm feeling fairly confident I'll be writing something that hasn't already been done in this challenge yet.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Commander
# 66
02-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
ambassadormolari: What a chilling threat at the end there. I wonder if the Iconians did that? We have seen their skill with computer viruses, after all. Also, Arkos was quite clever there in how he dispatched the threat.
Not that clever. I think Geordi pulled a similar stunt with a bomb in one episode of TNG. As for who did it...who knows? I left it deliberately vague for that reason.

Last edited by ambassadormolari; 02-21-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Captain
# 67
02-22-2013, 06:31 AM
@ ambassadormolari (one of B5's best characters imo btw) - it was a very exciting entry and I am a little envyous of your action writing skills.

Quote:
As for who did it...who knows? I left it deliberately vague for that reason.
That's the kind of mystery I love to read about! esides, maybe in a later LC you could sort of continue where you left off and provide more insight.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene

Last edited by cmdrscarlet; 02-22-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Clarity of thought
Captain
# 68
02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
@ AmbassadorMolari: As other have said, a fantastic entry, it really captured the tension and fear which drones create, as well of the sense of panic which is unavoidable when a drone decides to take hostile action, as they truly are formidable... I'd rather go hand to hand with a Klingon or a Romulan than let a drone within 10 feet of me... And indeed, it'll be interesting to see if future LCs explore further what happened to the cube
Captain
# 69
02-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I see...I was just checking since in the game we find Gre'thor mentioned a lot more than Sto-Vo-Kor, and players sometimes make that mistake.
I have to admit, I'm no expert when it comes to Klingon culture, but I knew the difference between the two The closest I will claim to expertise, was creating the word for the loincloth

Quote:
Indeed.

I had not thought about that commonality between those two rituals, but you're right...under Klingon beliefs it's possible that would've been an issue.
I figure that as a child, Lambert would have been the kind of wannabe who would have been constantly bragging on what an awesome warrior his great-grandfather had been, despite being more Human than Klingon

Quote:
Yeah, agreed that neither of those options would've been good. Even Alyosha, who is for all intents and purposes asexual (he experiences no physical attraction to humans and I think that his disgust with the behavior of his own species would be so severe he would never experience attraction there either), would understand that he shouldn't suggest that.
Yeah, I figured Amanda didn't need a visit from Sexual Harassment Panda I'm glad the revision made it clearer that she was simply trying to find an easily known reference... ^_^

Quote:
Hopefully my entry will be up over the weekend. I'm feeling fairly confident I'll be writing something that hasn't already been done in this challenge yet.
Really looking forward to reading it ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 70
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
I don't particularly enjoy writing in the first person, which is why I chose to do it in my entry. I need the practice!

I feel like this is one of my weaker submissions. But, I was able to sneak in a preview for one of the upcoming changes to Odyssey's command crew. Feel free to offer suggestions or critiques.

The shuttle Asher is named after British author Neal Asher. I got the idea for the brig from the ships in his Agent Cormac series. Those ships are certainly more advanced than the "current" 25th century Star Trek ones.