Career Officer
# 1 More fleet marks = more afk.
02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
All day, in pvp's I am seeing afk's. I havent done an stf in months, but it was nearly every match, afk's, often people from the same fleets. Now that we are rewarding fleet marks for pvp, and more generously in pve, you can count on seeing people afk.

Being afk in a public game is like a kick in the face to anyone who is acually trying to play the game with a competitive spirit, or a gamer's enthusiasm: ' you work for me now, grind my dilithium and fleet marks while I do **** all, I hope you like losing, or getting fewer rewards for your efforts. '

We really should start a wall of shame for these people's fleets that let their members behave so anti-socially. I could list a few fleets famous for it, but I wont. Yet.

What I dont understand is, why do you even need dilthium or fleet marks if you cant be bothered to play the game to begin with?

--------------- /rant

What this game needs is what EVERY OTHER mmo/multiplayer online game has: A system to boot afk's, and even punish them with temp que bans instead of letting them sit idle for 15 minutes and get teh same rewards as everyone else. I know games where I cant take a quick bio without being ejected from the game and banned for an hour.

All told, sto is truly the finest community of gamers on the mmo market, and I have plyed them all, but something has to be done about these afk leechers.

Last edited by pulserazor; 02-21-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Captain
# 2
02-21-2013, 06:20 PM
That was the one advantage of the foundry exploit missions as those were pretty much aimed at the AFKer. At the end of the day, there will always be people trying to get something for nothing and unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it.

"Naming and shaming" however tempting it is, is not the way forward and is a sure fire way to get yourself in trouble with the moderators. So however frustrating it is, I counsel you not to do it.
Lieutenant
# 3
02-21-2013, 07:03 PM
i know of a fleet that has a klingon fleet that trades wins for for dil. no doubt they will now have even more incentive for it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixa1 View Post
i know of a fleet that has a klingon fleet that trades wins for for dil. no doubt they will now have even more incentive for it.

Several fleets that I know with Fed and KDF do that.
Captain
# 5
02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
They should remove fleet marks as a requirement for fleet projects. Increase the number and type of commodities needed for each project. Then make the fleet events give large piles (100+ each) of general commodities in npc drops. Then remove all commodity traders in sector space and on starbases selling general commodities (including on the Tuffli and D'kora) so the only way to get them otherwise is through replicator or doff missions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsheadroom View Post
They should remove fleet marks as a requirement for fleet projects. Increase the number and type of commodities needed for each project. Then make the fleet events give large piles (100+ each) of general commodities in npc drops. Then remove all commodity traders in sector space and on starbases selling general commodities (including on the Tuffli and D'kora) so the only way to get them otherwise is through replicator or doff missions.

No. They just need to consolidate the freaking currencies in game which would alleviate many problems that spread ourselves out way too much.

Most games there is either one or two currency types in game and one premium currency for F2P models that you have for the online game shop or in game unique items.

STO has in game:

EC
Dilith
GPL
Lobi
Rom Marks
Omega Marks
Fleet Marks

And Zen for the online store

Thats EIGHT damn different types of currency for one freaking game and its total BS! This is just short bus retarded.

All the marks needs to be consolidated into one general mark type. GPL is ABSOLUTELY USELESS, so just nuke it or allow us to buy Lobi, Dilith or Mark packs with it. That would narrow it down to EC, Dilith, Lobi, Marks and Zen. That removes 3 currencies for the game, allows players to choose what content they want to do with their allotted time online and then decide where they want to allocate it (Rep or Fleet bases). That would save us all a whole lot of headaches and a whole lot of unnecessary grinding and misuse of valuable in-game time. Cryptic pretty much has the players running on a hamster wheel doing a lot for practically NOTHING but a peanut here or there.
Captain
# 7
02-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeknow View Post
No. They just need to consolidate the freaking currencies in game which would alleviate many problems that spread ourselves out way too much.
Funny, when you said "No" so decisively, I thought you were going to offer a solution to the afkers in fleet events instead of a tangential whine about the number of currencies you have to keep track of. I'll take it to mean my idea is good and you are merely blustering.
Captain
# 8
02-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Then remove all commodity traders in sector space and on starbases selling general commodities (including on the Tuffli and D'kora) so the only way to get them otherwise is through replicator or doff missions.
One of the main reasons to HAVE a Tuffli is for the commodities vendor, it sells at a discounted rate.
Also, if you take away the NPC commodity vendors everywhere, Ferengi lose a key part of their unique trait of 20% discounts.

Additionally, not removing them from the replicator is where your idea really falls down. If you can still get them from there (granted, at increased prices), all you need is loads of EC to rocket through the projects (especially if you do the non-upgrade ones that need more DOffs, but no Dil). One of the best sources of EC: The foundry farming missions that were just nerfed to stop people exploiting them.

All that would happen if this change occurred is that people would return to farming the foundry for fleet-required currency (EC, instead of Marks now), and an inevitable "no more loot for Foundry" nerf by Cryptic a few weeks later.
Captain
# 9
02-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Meh,

Just make afk auto-logoff after ... 10 minutes of inactivity (whatever value they want, it doesn't matter as long as it happens). Problem solved and this type of thread disappears too.

As for multiple currencies - well that's another topic.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Funny, when you said "No" so decisively, I thought you were going to offer a solution to the afkers in fleet events instead of a tangential whine about the number of currencies you have to keep track of. I'll take it to mean my idea is good and you are merely blustering.

Well as far as the AFK leechers, there is no easy fix for that. Possibly have a minimal hard cap % of DPS or heals and debuffs done (to be fair to Engie and Sci chars) to an opponent to receive any rewards? As well as after a certain period of inactivity (and not simply a wiggling of the mouse resetting it) boot them from the instances?