Captain
# 61
02-22-2013, 03:52 AM
In a true roleplaying game you should roll, play, a ..eh person. And then you decide to join Starfleet and start a career.

Classes is also such a game thing. Do we have that in the real world classes?

However there is nothing wrong with the game as it is. It is about Starfleet. You are supposed to be into that. So what about the other faction? They are just there for a contrast to give it a meaning, a perspective to the core faction. But they also bring in more versality, something different. So more factions would be great and even a non faction as civilians.

Factions are also a game thing. What exactly is a faction? More factions means more options, but also more railroaded. In the end this discussion here is about more sandbox or more themepark. Why not both?
Captain
# 62
02-22-2013, 03:59 AM
The problem I could see with it, would be how you would measure progression effectively if you make is a sub faction or class. After all you can't be a Starfleet captain if you're not in Starfleet. You also got the problem that most of the content in the game is geared toward military style combat, so you'd either have to introduce a whole load of new exclusive content (and annoy the KDF) or radically overhaul the system.

I think the idea of captain powers and abilities/kits would also have to change or be looked at if you made civilians their own class rather than a faction and consider what sort of abilities you'd want them to have as well as balancing issues.

After all, I wouldn't want people turning up into ESTFs in Tufflis. I don't think anyone would.
Empire Veteran
# 63
02-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaths1 View Post
there are no civilians - civilians are a lie!
First, the cake was a lie and now civilians - how many more times !

lol
Which one will you be?

Community Moderator
# 64
02-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
It is surprising to see a faction request for "civilian" instead of something more specific like "Ferengi Trader".

Seems like if STO was going to add a non-military faction, it would need to have at least some sort themed faction or alternate gameplay to the ever present space combat of the other factions.
I'm not necessarily arguing for a "Civilian" faction, mind you... and I strongly believe that if such a thing were to happen, it needs to happen later. Maybe in a couple of years, maybe longer.

But players have been asking for alternative gameplay options for as long as I can remember.

Even a "Civilian" could be involved in exploration and diplomacy, for example.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 65
02-22-2013, 07:57 AM
<snip>
Forgot about my non-participation in forum discussions unless it's constructive promise.

My bad.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf

Last edited by lordmalak1; 02-22-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 66
02-22-2013, 08:17 AM
can't see that idea working out. this game is on the verge of maybe getting a romulan faction at long last and getting the kdf beefed up...... i can't see how this would be worth doing. when others would be shouting wheres my cardassians?? etc

don't get me wrong but the playable mercenary/freelancer kinda faction would be a great idea in a star wars game. just can't see it in a star trek game. that said, it would be nice to see more of these groups make appearnces in story/missions/eps. or even just places/zones to visit.
Community Moderator
# 67
02-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I will say this...

We do need more civilian art assets in the game. Civilian clothing, civilian starships, etc.

If for no other reason than to put them in the Foundry or reuse them in Cryptic-designed scenarios. We need to see civilians walking around, even if we're not playing as one.

The Federation is more than just Starfleet and there are civilians in the Klingon Empire who aren't necessarily a member of the KDF. It's an immersion thing.

While I personally can't see the attraction of playing as a merchant, you've got to admit that a few non-military types and ne'er-do-wells played big parts in Star Trek lore. Where are the Harry Mudds, the Cyrano Joneses, the Cassidy Yates, the Quarks, or the Lwaxana Trois?

And I can certainly see why the Role-Play crowd might want the ability to play as a civilian or at least appear to be one.

And when STO expands into that "galactic west of Sol" area, might be a good time to start introducing those things.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 68
02-22-2013, 10:05 AM
What would be their mission? Goals? Rewards?

1. Go out and do manual labor that no one else wants to do and get paid squat.

2. Clock out and go to a bar for drinks with fellow civilian workers.

3. Get dances from girls at bikini bar.

Yeah, that could work -

- Oh wait, I play this game to ESCAPE from reality!

Seriously, people - Mission - Goals -Rewards. That's what you have to consider when making suggestions like this. A civ faction is about as mundane as you can get in a sci-fi game. The Sims - Star Trek is what it sounds like, and I don't play games like that. If there's any sort of non-military aligned faction, it's gonna have to be an "independent" or "mercenary" type faction that allows for their mission, goals and rewards to be as synonymous with the KDF's and Starfleet's objectives as much as possible.

Re: The mission objective at Ker'rat - salvage the tech from the Borg.

That's something that can still work for a non-aligned faction.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Starfleet Veteran
# 69
02-22-2013, 10:08 AM
A faction that's game play options are wait for the nice Starfleet Officers to come save us from x. Not really interested.

Unless of course my Klingon gets to follow them around all day, beating them up so he can take their stuff.
Lieutenant
# 70
02-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
1. Go out and do manual labor that no one else wants to do and get paid squat.
You realize you just perfectly described the new romulus "adventure zone," right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
Seriously, people - Mission - Goals -Rewards. That's what you have to consider when making suggestions like this. A civ faction is about as mundane as you can get in a sci-fi game. The Sims - Star Trek is what it sounds like, and I don't play games like that. If there's any sort of non-military aligned faction, it's gonna have to be an "independent" or "mercenary" type faction that allows for their mission, goals and rewards to be as synonymous with the KDF's and Starfleet's objectives as much as possible.
The idea has already been expanded in that way, in multiple posts. It would, ideally, be a catch all for all sorts of groups that don't fall under the umbrellas of starfleet, KDF, or one of the other major factions.

So, in addition to traders and the like:
Ferengi
Mercenaries
Pirates
Explorers/Scouts
Mirror Universe types
Rebels and Renegades (like the marquis)
Criminal Organizations (like the orion syndicate)

There's plenty of combat potential within an independent faction, and many if not most missions can easily be converted to work with such a faction.

The rewards would be the usual: Items and Currency. And you know what? It'd make a whole lot more sense. How often did we hear about how the federation in general grew out of the need for money, and the desire for material wealth? Yet we all run around scrambling to earn over a half dozen different currencies. At least with a merchant/pirate/mercenary faction that would be in-character.