Captain
# 31
02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
So the fact their are still some annoying bugs that have been around for years and are still not fixed is acceptable for you?
No I didn't say that. Perhaps you should try reading what's said, and stop assuming things?

Quote:
Your idea of acceptable and reasonable is not the same as what most people would consider to be.
That's because most people don't have a clue what's involved in bug fixing or programing. I do and as such I actually know what I'm talking about.

How long it takes to fix a bug has everything to do with how long they can replicate the bug and then track down what is needed to fix it. If they can't replicate the bug on their test systems they'll never be able to fix it. Even if they can replicate it, they have to have the man hours to dig though the code and find it, and then find a way to fix it without breaking something else.

There's been more then one case that in the attempt to fix an nuisance bug, dev's break the whole game. What would you rather have, a nuisance or the game shut down for a day?

You all act as if STO is somehow different then every MMO out there. Every MMO including WoW still have bugs that are years old for various reasons. The bugs in STO are still there for the same reasons the ones in WoW, LotRO, and every other MMO are still there.
Republic Veteran
# 32
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
So the fact their are still some annoying bugs that have been around for years and are still not fixed is acceptable for you?

For me taking years and who knows how much longer to fix a bug is totally unacceptable amount of time.

The Tholian Red Alert was bugged from the start and still is not fixed. This is unacceptable.

Your idea of acceptable and reasonable is not the same as what most people would consider to be.

I am not asking for things to be fixed in days or even a week. I want things to be fixed much faster then years.
Ok, here's a concept for you: triage. When you take the perspective of X bug has not been fixed in Y years, you're assuming that bugs should get squashed first in, first out. That is almost never the case, and it's actually the worse way to do things. Setting priority on what to fix depends on a lot of things such as potential risk of the bug, estimated time to a fix, percentage of playerbase affected, etc.

Now, let's take this system and throw a wrench into called "we don't know what's wrong so we don't know how long it'll take to find and fix". This raises the complexity on setting priorities which is why sometimes people don't understand why certain priority calls were made.

Bottom line is this. If you really care about a bug getting fixed, I think you need to do your part and help identify the ROOT CAUSE of a problem instead of just saying "wtf cryptic, it's bugged -> fixed it now". If a root cause is identified, time to fixing is predictable and will therefore be much more likely to get a higher priority because it has much more known parameters in terms of planning.

Last edited by azntrigboi; 02-22-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Captain
# 33
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
No I didn't say that. Perhaps you should try reading what's said, and stop assuming things?

That's because most people don't have a clue what's involved in bug fixing or programing. I do and as such I actually know what I'm talking about.

How long it takes to fix a bug has everything to do with how long they can replicate the bug and then track down what is needed to fix it. If they can't replicate the bug on their test systems they'll never be able to fix it. Even if they can replicate it, they have to have the man hours to dig though the code and find it, and then find a way to fix it without breaking something else.

There's been more then one case that in the attempt to fix an nuisance bug, dev's break the whole game. What would you rather have, a nuisance or the game shut down for a day?

You all act as if STO is somehow different then every MMO out there. Every MMO including WoW still have bugs that are years old for various reasons. The bugs in STO are still there for the same reasons the ones in WoW, LotRO, and every other MMO are still there.
You said "There is no reasonable amount of time to fix a bug" that sounds like someone that thinks is is acceptable for bugs to be present for years and still sound like someone who has no problem with it.

Their was Dominion missions with mission completion major bugs that had been present for for a long time and I find it funny that they seem to of been fixed a short time before they made the MK XII sets in the Lobi store. That shows me they did not care about those bugs until it effected their ability to make money with new improved version of those mission rewards.

A lot of MMO games care less about quality of games and allowing bugs to be present and instead focus on money. I have played a lot of PC games you buy in the store that had some bugs and they did not take as long to fix as bugs this game has because they cared about their games and fixing bugs even very minor ones that a very small percentage of people had. I know some bugs can be harder to fix then others but their is no reason for any bugs to take years to fix and no reason for major bugs that a lot of people experienced to take many months and longer to fix.
Commander
# 34
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
i assume cryptic uses the following triage method

1.Does it cost money
2. if it costs money we fix it
3. if not let the players deal with it
4.sit back and enjoy the diminishing cash flow while the game Atrophies
Andy@andy30
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1615554000&dateline=1  365460663
Captain
# 35
02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
You know, I used to make this excuse when I was getting blowback after deliberately provoking people. Then I manned up and admitted to myself the problem was my rudeness.

This didnt stop me. But the self awareness did set me free and I'm much better at being a snarky person for it.
I never made that excuse. I was just letting someone know that their ideas were garbage. They refused to see the logical PoV, and as such, were verbally chastised by myself. Then a mod decided I was being a troll and flaming that person, and as such, I was temp banned.

Now I have returned, and the funny part is I still think that said person is an idiot. But alas, I must be more careful, or I cannot post on these wonderful forums evermore...

oh wells XD.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.