Lt. Commander
# 21
02-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
The problem with that idea is, most people don't PvP. For the vast majority of the playerbase, that solution is effectively "don't have any endgame".
Yep...but I never really saw STO as catering to the PvP crowd much at any point that I can recall, and it's not exactly inviting or easy to access. There's no area of the galaxy you can just roam into if you want to get funky, you have to queue for it. There's no specific PvP gear or ships to obtain, no PvP specific reward system or ranking system that I'm aware of for Fleet's or individual players. Last I heard, 'balance' was also an issue(but when is it not, tbh?).
____

The o3 - Killed you good
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Quote:
The problem with that idea is, most people don't PvP. For the vast majority of the playerbase, that solution is effectively "don't have any endgame".
I agree to a certain point, STO has never created or attempted a good balance when it comes to anything that is pvp, unless you want to count waiting in a queue which isn't and iam sure that Cryptic could certainly come up with another means to satisfy that in a more realistic sense than a final endgame of losing what you have. Alot of good solutions have been introduced on many different topics in the forums and we have seen nothing to create that, this idea that queue a pvp is joke cheap way around the satisfactory of the game. But, if Cryptic wanted to introduce something it would go along way in the game. Example, we had heard about a territory system, well that would be great way to introduce a pvp situation within the game that would be persistence instead of the artificial attempt at what exist as pvp currently. Though i wont hold my breath, as that solution would make way too much sense.

Cheers,

T
Captain
# 23
02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Said it before, I'll say it again:

You want to know what actual grind is, go play PWI. Yeah, T5 rep is a couple of weeks of the same thing. But if you demand the best gear you got to earn it. STOs grind is minor.
# 24
02-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
People are playing a Star Trek game to save the galaxy and be heroic?! When they can measure epeen by spamming keybinds instead? That's some twisted priorities.
# 25
02-22-2013, 07:07 PM
My issues with the STO grind.

1) Lack of variety
This is both from the limited number of options to gain what I want combined with the terrible reward balance issue. Only two STF exist in my eyes (ISE/CSE) I love Azure Nebula but I get more marks doing the daily in the sector, etc etc.

1a) Lack of surprises
The Defari dailies are some of the best, simply because they rotate what one you get in some places and the hunt for the rare bosses. Wouldn't it be awesome to queue up for an Azure Nebula and have a rare Scimitar worth 10 pts spawned in the center with a crapton of defensive ships? Bad idea perhaps but I think you get where I'm going with this one.

1b) Lack of Style variety
Starbase Blockade was the first item to make something other than DPS useful. Azure Nebula is kind of like that too but not really for PuGs. Yet there is not a single Tau Daily that uses something similar and it makes me sad.

2) Lack of side rewards
Why are STFs so great? You get dilitihium to do whatever you want with AND omega marks. Not true for fleet mark grinding or rommie marks. And potential purple Mk 12 awesome stuff.

2a) Lack of progressive rewards
As stated before, who wants a Mk 10 shield when they have a month of grinding to get the mk 12? Very few. However if that Mk 10 shield could be used to reduce the cost of getting the Mk 12 so one wasn't wasting currency to aquire it that just might be a good thing you know?

3) Poor UI implementation
The grind is so 'in your face' thanks to the UI methods. Sad but true.

All IMHO.