Ensign
I've been considering returning to the game but the thought of installing Pando Media Booster is something I do not want to consider. I've read quite a bit on it and it's behind the scenes use of bandwidth and I don't want that program on my machine.

Is there a way to play the game without having to install it?

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I know that's a NCSoft requirement to install their games but IIRC STO doesn't require PMB to be installed....
____

The o3 - Killed you good
Captain
# 3
02-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I don't know what this is, but I know with full certainty that I don't have it on my machine and I play STO every day. So.... yes.
Career Officer
# 4
02-23-2013, 12:42 PM
You only need it with a new copy of the downloader from PWE.

Install through Steam or buy a disc or use an old disc and you'll be fine.
Ensign
# 5
02-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcademaster View Post
I don't know what this is, but I know with full certainty that I don't have it on my machine and I play STO every day. So.... yes.
May I ask how you installed the game? I have the disc from the collectors edition, but I'm certain an update would be required if I were to try and use it. If it's even Windows 7 compatible, I'd need to check that.

How exactly did you install the game? The version I click on here, on the official site, requires it be installed.
Ensign
# 6
02-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
You only need it with a new copy of the downloader from PWE.

Install through Steam or buy a disc or use an old disc and you'll be fine.
Okay that's great news, thank you. And everyone else who took the time.
Captain
# 7
02-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Well if you google /Pando Media Booster star trek online\ you get quite a few hits , so I'd say that yes , it seems that there are sites that use this program to speed up the ... currently 15GB of STO ( it's compressed it may be less , but un-compressed that's the size of the game at the moment) .

This is an external site confirming it :

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/10093/

And this is a thread on the STO forums about the issue , including how to remove the program after it downloads STO :

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=250083

Hope it helps .
"We're not mad at Angry Birds, and we're not trying to defend the universe from Angry Birds. Although you might want to consider defending yourself from Angry Birds. If you aren't paying for the app, you aren't a customer, you're the product ."

- former CIA, NSA chief Michael Hayden -- your guide to F2P ...
Captain
# 8
02-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Just download it through Steam. You don't have to run the launcher through steam.

As a plus side, if you find yourself with some spare pocket-change in your steam account, you can throw it directly into STO(by launching it through Steam) without going through the Perfect World payment options.
Captain
# 9
02-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Pando is just a downloader, even if you do use it you can get rid of it once the game is installed or you can download the game torrent from here using any torrent program, I would not recommend buying a disc unless you want the TOS Enterprise, even if you get the disc you will still be downloading a ton of updates anyway to bring it current, so you may be better off downloading the latest client either way.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10 pando
04-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Ok. Thank you everyone who has posted about pando, but I still dont see an answer to what I need to know. This one is simple. Can you still play the game and update the game without pando, after the game is installed. Can I take it off my computer?