Lt. Commander
Sorry if I've been posting too much lately, but I don't post unless I absolutely cannot find what I'm looking for on the forums, ugcstarbase, youtube, or google.

I'm having a problem with a mission objective though. The objective is simple - the player is to repair a ship, then beam a crew down. So there's three things I want to learn how to do (if it can be done).

first, Not too important, but I made a costume for a bird of prey - How do I get that to look damaged?

Second, do I use interact with object or interact with contact? Object doesn't allow me to choose the bird of prey as a component (maybe there's something I can hide?) and contact doesn't really make sense.

Third, after doing this, and getting the npcs that the player is supposed to beam down, how do I make the BoP an objective again with a repair animation? Do I just place another BoP over the old and swap out the state between objectives?

If anybody has any tutorials about interacting with stuff like this in space, that would be awesome.

I hope I explained this right, thank you for anyone who responds!
Captain
# 2
02-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff484 View Post
Sorry if I've been posting too much lately, but I don't post unless I absolutely cannot find what I'm looking for on the forums, ugcstarbase, youtube, or google.

I'm having a problem with a mission objective though. The objective is simple - the player is to repair a ship, then beam a crew down. So there's three things I want to learn how to do (if it can be done).

first, Not too important, but I made a costume for a bird of prey - How do I get that to look damaged?

Second, do I use interact with object or interact with contact? Object doesn't allow me to choose the bird of prey as a component (maybe there's something I can hide?) and contact doesn't really make sense.

Third, after doing this, and getting the npcs that the player is supposed to beam down, how do I make the BoP an objective again with a repair animation? Do I just place another BoP over the old and swap out the state between objectives?

If anybody has any tutorials about interacting with stuff like this in space, that would be awesome.

I hope I explained this right, thank you for anyone who responds!

Lots of questions here.

1. Instead of using a npc contact, look for a damaged BoP in the details. If you use a ship as an object, then you can interact with it that way. It also works as a component.

2. If not wanting to use a ship from the details, then you can find a npc and reskin it as a BoP. I know I've done this before, but I always forget how I do it. I think there is a npc contact that vents plasma and I reskin it to the ship I want. It still vents the plasma.

3. You might have to use an invisible object as the second interact. You have to hid its descriptive text in space as something like 'energy readings."

Really though, I think if you just switch from a npc contact to a ship from the details, then you'll have a much easier time.

I hope that makes sense.
Rihannsu
# 3
02-23-2013, 03:36 PM
2: NPC animation. But IIRC those are glitched right now

3: you can also swap objects. If your objective is to help them fix a plasma leak you could remove the leaking ship and replace it with a non-leaking ship.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 4
02-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
2: NPC animation. But IIRC those are glitched right now

3: you can also swap objects. If your objective is to help them fix a plasma leak you could remove the leaking ship and replace it with a non-leaking ship.
Now that I read this, I think my advice is wrong. I don't think there is a detail of a leaking ship. I always look for it, give up, ask in sbugc chat, and then somebody tells me it's an animation.
Captain
# 5
02-23-2013, 05:55 PM
For ships, consoles, or whatever that you want to interact with multiple times: you can make multiple copies of the object then place them on top of each other, using their coordinates to make them line-up correctly.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Lots of questions here.

1. Instead of using a npc contact, look for a damaged BoP in the details. If you use a ship as an object, then you can interact with it that way. It also works as a component.
This was the first thing I tried to do, I couldn't find a BoP, although there is a Vorcha.

Thanks for the advice though, I'm going to give it a shot!
Survivor of Remus
# 7
02-24-2013, 06:46 AM
Using invisible objects is your best option for multiple interaction, each item on a map may only added to the story board once as an objective, but you can make new invisible objects appear after each objective and make them then next objective. You could, after the repair objective is complete, just transition to the next map or use a pop up dialog then transition.

As for the damage there is an fx you can add to make something look damaged
Captain
# 8
02-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Keep in mind about invisible objects: their interaction range on ground maps is rather large and so the option may come up much further from the physical object than you expect.

In space, invisible object need to be named or they will say "Object." You can use triggers to make them appear in succession as they are needed to avoid clutter.