Career Officer
# 21
02-23-2013, 06:49 AM
Slow and painful? Only if Star Trek Online is the only thing you do in your life...ever. In which case, you should probably seek some help...

I'm hoping Cryptic will take the time to make some quality of life updates until May, along with events such as First Contact day or C-Store releases (that ARE NOT bundles) that people have been asking for.

Cryptic has disappointed time and time again whenever they tease new content (with the exception of the 3rd anniversary), so it's best to keep your expectations lowered until some solid information pops up about the May update (Or June/July knowing Cryptic's track record).

For those expecting a new faction, it could go down one of two ways. Either Cryptic actually pulls it off, shocks everybody, and happy laughter ensues, or they don't and we end up laughing at all the fools who thought it was happening. Either way, it's gonna be pretty damn funny.
@HyperLimited
Career Officer
# 22
02-23-2013, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
Just take it one day at a time. May wont be here soon enough
Fixed for you.
Lieutenant
# 23
02-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Cryptic likes to hold the details in till the last minute. In general, all you get is vague teasers and comments up until about a week before whatever's going to be released. Then a few days before whatever comes out, they'll do a blog/announcement with general details or a summary, but it won't have much specific and it's just designed to get you more interested. Then a day before they'll give real details and/or stats in another blog. Right after that they release it the next day.

It's all calculated. You hear about it way in advance, and you get interest, but it's all conjecture and speculation. That keeps you interested though. Then comes the teaser blog a few days before release, to really peak your interest. Then right before release they finally let you know the stats and feed your growing enthusiasm. Then they bring it out right after that, while you're still enthusiastic and before the shine has worn off, and you're reaching for your wallet and spending zen before you've really processed the stats details or formed any kind of educated opinion.

It works even for non-premium releases. Because maybe you want a new ship for the new content, or you want a new costume for RP purposes, or it's something like the terribad new romulus adventure zone and you need more inventory space for the bajillion quest-items.

It's not till after you've spent the zen you realize that maybe it was mostly hype, that the new content might be good, but it might also be mediocre at best, or awful and broken at worst. But by then they already have your money

There may well be stuff released between now and may, but you're probably not going to hear a whole lot about it until closer to when it's released.
Empire Veteran
# 24
02-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
JUST TO ADD TO YOUR DESPAIR:

I know that we're all now waiting with bated breath for May to roll around...

.... but in all honestly, it's probably going to be an "official announcement" type of affair, along with more dates.
I mean, c'mon.
Do you honestly expect them to have an entirely new faction, even if it's as halfway developed as the current KDF, with a decent number of starships, new starting zones, costumes, and UI, ready to go... in 3 months?
Let''s face it. I'm as stoked as the next guy that we're finally seeing the official acknowledgement here. But it'll be quite some time till we have a functional faction up and running.
The kdf is only half done?
Name a faction in any mmo that is as bad as the kdf?
Commander
# 25
02-23-2013, 07:01 AM
People are forgetting First Contact day in April. I believe its the spring equivilant to the Winter Festival, which should mean a new ship to celebrate it.

My guess is they'll be a mission where you make first contact with an Alien race, or maybe the mission is to make first contact with a bunch of races and the prize for succeeding is an Alien ship from a race you made first contact with.
Career Officer
# 26
02-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Dstahl: We are not ready to begin discussing the details of what is in our May update, however the reference definitely suggests that it is related to Romulans in some way. We will share more news about the update and give a clearer response to your question as we get closer to May.
That entire question session was a non-answer full of ifs and maybes.

Even if they do bring the Romulan faction into the game, how much content do you think their going to add? They ((Romulans)) already have the Tau Dewa Sector. We'll get a couple generically neutral ships for the masses and more Z-Store ships ((For the weekend warriors who don't care how bad the games grind has gotten, or the amount of bugs that run through it.)) then maaaaybe a 5 mission story arc like the Jem Hadar. Not going to be that big though...

The Federation players would start posting whine threads on the forums all over again if the spotlight was taken off them..
Click here to see the true story of the KDF and Cryptic!

"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl

Last edited by thebumble; 02-23-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Captain
# 27
02-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
I'd consider myself #3, the Realist.
Hmmm , a realist would sound more like anazonda from a few posts back :
"Ignore whatever tweets, blogs or comments given... Until it's in-game, it's vaporware. "

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1
Either way , I'm left to wonder if CBS will keep a sharper eye on Cryptic's shenanigans due to the proximity of the release of the JJ movie and the "Season 8 is dead to me" ?
I don't actually think they will.

Nothing in STO has any basis within or toward the new JJ film. STO is set in the 'Prime' Universe, not the rebooted JJ one. The consequences of the May film, I don't believe will have any relevance to this game.
On the surface that's true .
However my logic is as follows :
Joe-walking-wallet sees JJ move and get's exited . Joe then hears about/finds STO . If Joe has a good experience in STO he's likely to purchase the JJ DVD/BR (ca-ching!) .

OTOTH if Joe has a bad experience in STO -- either via the game or by hearsay (aka the forums) , and suddenly he does not feel like purchasing the DVD/BR or any other Star Trek merchandise -- in which case that equals to $$$ getting lost .

Paramount would not be happy .
I doubt that CBS would be happy (as Joe's bad experience has also made him less likely to purchase any other Star Trek shows) .

In short , the smart move by Cryptic would have been to release any new content a month before the JJ movie comes out -- with plenty of time to iron out the flaws (the glaring ones anyway) .
But Cryptic is Cryptic , thus any care about their reputation or the reputation Star Trek franchise is ... (insert your own ideas here) .

So the possibility that I foresee is either cuts to the intended content for May (to avoid releasing too unpolished/buggy material) and/or a much harsher moderation of the forums during the months of May-June .
I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Empire Veteran
# 28
02-23-2013, 07:30 AM
The wait doesn't bother me.
In a month is first contact day, they will start releasing the may update info, and testing will begin.
Also info on the new Star Trek movie.
Neverwinter should be in beta but it doesn't effect me. Another "you make the content" half done game from cryptic is not in my future.
Career Officer
# 29
02-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avarseir View Post
Now that all the promised content: winter event; anniversary event; new fleet ships; andorian ships; has been released.. will it be a slow and painful wait till May 2013?
Inevitebly.

The wait through March will be followed by mass hysteria in April, and massive dissapointment in May when it turns out we're not actually getting a Romulan Faction.
Iconian? A label created by the Dewans to give voice to their destruction.
In the end, what they chose to call us is irrelevant.
We simply... are.

Career Officer
# 30
02-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Depending on how big this big update is, I imagine we'll see a bit of a slum in stuff for a while starting right about now.

Basically ever since the teaser came out, this is what I'm expecting: New content dries up starting around the end of February, once the events end and the Kumari line is out. After that, it's all heads-down, not unlike the F2P conversion known around here as the Drought of 2011. The difference this time, though, is with about twice the hands on deck this time around, the team will be able to have more people working on new content while still being able to spare some folks for a token release or two in the interim.

I'd expect one costume C-Store release each for KDF and Fed between now and the May update (close to early April, if I had to hazard a guess), with scattered low-maintenance events throught, like a Q XP Weekend, an FE rerun w/ Lobi accolades reactivated, and maybe a DOff weekend. Maybe a C-Store sale somewhere in there as well.