Career Officer
# 11
02-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
This AFK issue was brought to Dan's attention in the old Fleet Marks thread. I am sure he was aware of it before then. At this point they have not given any indication that reporting an AFKer will have any consequence to that player. I'm not sure if it's even worth reporting.

Dan said they are aware of the problem and are looking into options to combat this.

In another game I have played, team members can report a player AFK and they will be marked as idle, preventing them from receiving any benefits from the run until they engage in combat. Sure, this may not work with trolls looking to just run around and cause problems for your group, but to an AFKer this is probably the worst thing. If we had something like that, I am sure it would significantly reduce the AFK problem once people were aware that they wouldn't get anything if they just sit in a run doing nothing.
Personally, I rather boot them out of the event and hope a replacement is allowed in.

Because in that flag system, an AFKer isn't still going to help you. You are stuck doing the event with four people. While some groups can easily do events without a fifth, many groups cannot. And those four players are very much likely to suffer no matter what, they will fail the Objectives (or the STF if it's Khitomer or Cure Space). Which easily turns that flag to into a self-inflicted griefing tool.

To put it bluntly: Oh you can flag them, but it isn't going to help you any.

So if Stahl is going to implement a Moocher Flag, he better have that flag adjust the event for the other four people.
Republic Veteran
# 12
02-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybone13 View Post
Trust me. It won't work unless implemented right. I've seen a similar system and it made things worse.
The one used in WOW's PVP did fairly well. If you were reported AFK by minimum 3 people, you were marked as idle and did not earn honor points. After 1 minute, if you still had not entered combat, you were removed from the pvp game and given a cool down for a certain period of time similar to the leaver penalty.

Simply having the system in place may make people think twice about AFKing in a public queue. As of right now there really is nothing bad that can happen to them or to their account so they could care less.

When it comes to systems like this I see so many naysayers. It's fair to be skeptical, but unless we try such a system this problem will never go away or be looked at as addressed. The only way to know if it will work or not is to give it a try. Otherwise, we can never progress as a game or as a community.
# 13
02-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevaldt View Post
They held a convo with me for a bit even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
Nothing seems to happen when you report AFkers. I just let the STF fail, or in infected since it cant fail, you can leave and stf without penalty 15 min after it started. You just have to guess if already in one that started.

Quote:
Right click on user and report to GM for idling in stf, before you do so see if they react to any tells first, adds to the report if they are actively mooching and not AFK.
I feel it is very important to point out what the OP is talking about. They are not talking about AFKers. As the OP describes, they held a conversation with the person. The OP calls them moochers. This is a very important distinction because any action or solution to "AFKers" that you all in this thread try to come up with, will not help the OP with the problem they are describing.

Essentially, the person the OP is talking about can be hailed by a GM or customer service rep and since they are at their keyboard, they will respond. And chit chat. And will never be flagged AFK.

They are just not actively participating in the content that they engaged in. It's a different problem than AFKers. Or the phrase AFKer is being used wrong. And will only further confuse the situation.

Moocher, as the OP coined it, is better. It keeps the distinction and can avoid confusion when seeking a solution to your problem.

Yeah it might seem like semantics. But really, I think in this case it's important, because there's been solutions I've seen in other situations that actively stop AFKing, that would completely NOT stop the mooching the OP is talking about.
Career Officer
# 14
02-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacknz View Post
Dan mentioned in the recent interview he did on STOked that this is being looked into and several options are being considered.
+1 Its about time too.. I wish this game would allow us to fire upon AFK'ers....
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Career Officer
# 15
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
The one used in WOW's PVP did fairly well. If you were reported AFK by minimum 3 people, you were marked as idle and did not earn honor points. After 1 minute, if you still had not entered combat, you were removed from the pvp game and given a cool down for a certain period of time similar to the leaver penalty.

Simply having the system in place may make people think twice about AFKing in a public queue. As of right now there really is nothing bad that can happen to them or to their account so they could care less.

When it comes to systems like this I see so many naysayers. It's fair to be skeptical, but unless we try such a system this problem will never go away or be looked at as addressed. The only way to know if it will work or not is to give it a try. Otherwise, we can never progress as a game or as a community.
Automatic removal from the map is not a bad idea actually. If you sit there doing nothing for too long you're gone.

But handling the situation is a double edged sword. It could be open to abuse by some players reporting others who are actually doing something simply because they think the player sucks thus giving them a penalty when they didn't do anything wrong. And with my experiences in GW1 if players who do the right thing and report only people who are in fact not helping and just sitting there and get penalized themselves it would nullify the whole system and nobody would report leechers out for fear of being punished for reporting.

In the end the system would do no good if players who do nothing wrong are being punished. Leechers will leech knowing nobody will report them and players who play will just put up with it so they don't get in trouble themselves.

We also have to take into consideration bugs in the game. Example: the day before the Feb. 21 patch, I was in Infected: The Conduit Elite. 1 player on the team told another player he reported him. I assumed it was because the player sat there the whole time leeching. The player who was apparently reported responding to the player who said he reported him, saying he couldn't do anything because he couldn't assign bridge officers to any ship stations due to the bug that was fixed the next day. I could understand but the player could have said something ahead of time. I was going toward the player so I could report him myself for leeching but after he responded and explained why I couldn't bring myself to report him. I actually felt sorry for him and hope he was never punished, or if he was, after explaining the problem his punishment reversed.

I think about the best bet is to have an automatic removal from the map type system if you're sitting there for 5 minutes not doing anything. But lag could cause a player to appear to be AFK for a couple minutes or so depending on how bad it is. And also the player could move just a little every minute or two to prevent being idle so it would need to take into account whether or not the player
#1 attacked something
#2 used a supportive skill on another player such as transfer shield strength (sitting there using only skills on yourself wouldn't count as being "active")

There is no surefire way to do something about the jerks who enter and don't help all so they can reap rewards with no effort without having collateral damage of some kind. I think the best we can do is add some kind of system and then give feedback and the developers can make adjustments accordingly to reduce collateral damage and the system is at least tolerable to most players.

In my experience I hardly ever see any leechers in fleet actions and STFs, but that's probably because I'm too busy trying to complete the mission to notice them. I admit I'm a coward. Ill hit evasive maneuvers and get out of attack range to keep myself from dying so I don't have my team waiting for 60 seconds for me to respawn. Since I try to die as little as possible that could be it. I'm not respawning at the starting point of the map where another team member is sitting there.

Last edited by monkeybone13; 02-23-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Captain
# 16
02-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
The first thing they could do is drop rewards to zero if you don't deal or take any damage in an STF. That would at least get the moochers involved for the few moments necessary to qualify, which would hopefully entice them into actually playing the game.
I feel this idea is the best one given how badly the silence system gets abused in Zone. Griefers will be all over the ability to tag someone AFK or Idle.
# 17
02-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
I feel this idea is the best one given how badly the silence system gets abused in Zone. Griefers will be all over the ability to tag someone AFK or Idle.
You could still 'mooch' in this system however, just shoot at it once or twice.
____

The o3 - Killed you good
Captain
# 18
02-23-2013, 08:43 PM
A method I liked is having it based on an Activity threshold. If you pass the Activity threshold, then you get normal rewards, but if you don't pass the activity threshold, then you get a consolation prize. In Elite STFs, it would be 5 Omega Marks total and no loot or BNPs. If we limit the rewards that afkers get so its not worth their time, then either they learn their lesson and become active players or move on to other games. Either way, the game becomes better without having to deal with these idiots.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
02-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Just drag any Borg ships towards the moocher so he has to engage.

Many times the person is afk so he gets blown up.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.