Empire Veteran
# 1 Is Star Trek possible?
02-24-2013, 12:25 AM
Something I've always rather felt is, that Star Trek is kind of...too perfect, at least the TNG era feels that way to me. It seems to me that in some ways, Star Trek in general, is rather unobtainable, in various ways.

Technology: As it stands now, most technology in Star Trek is still very very within the realm of sci-fi, and until such a time as proved otherwise, isn't currently obtainable for us within the early 21st century.

United Earth: This is the big point to me. Not so much the united governments, but more humanity as a species, at this point in time, I do honestly wonder if humanity could truly put aside all differences and such, and unite for all time like that.

Aliens: Most sci-fi series make aliens be our allies or our enemies, or a mixture there-of. While I don't want to get into an argument on if aliens exist or not, just that if they did, I honestly wonder how...benevolent they might actually be. I mean, what would humanity truly have to offer the greater galaxy?

There's more, but I'll leave it with that for the time being. Do you all think that 'Star Trek' is possible for us in reality?

Survivor of Romulus
# 2
02-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Something I've always rather felt is, that Star Trek is kind of...too perfect, at least the TNG era feels that way to me. It seems to me that in some ways, Star Trek in general, is rather unobtainable, in various ways.
Some of it is

Quote:
Technology: As it stands now, most technology in Star Trek is still very very within the realm of sci-fi, and until such a time as proved otherwise, isn't currently obtainable for us within the early 21st century.
well with 3d prototyping we are not far from replicators
Nanotech is already well on the way
We already have a lot of the medical tech Bones uses.
and the Phaser is not out of the bounds of science

so far no possibility of transporters , warp drive or any of the other "CORE" systems (warp drive is probably impossible as it requires the laws of physics to be wrong)

Quote:
United Earth: This is the big point to me. Not so much the united governments, but more humanity as a species, at this point in time, I do honestly wonder if humanity could truly put aside all differences and such, and unite for all time like that.
Ah we have to have a couple of WARS first
the Eugenics war and the Third World war
But even in trek 90% of humanity hates each other

Quote:
Aliens: Most sci-fi series make aliens be our allies or our enemies, or a mixture there-of. While I don't want to get into an argument on if aliens exist or not, just that if they did, I honestly wonder how...benevolent they might actually be. I mean, what would humanity truly have to offer the greater galaxy?
superior tech , resources and of course our great wisdom
actual aliens are more statistically likely to be EXTREMELY primative compared with us than highly advanced
And I can promise you that Aliens out there will NOT look anything like humans our format is mathmatically improbable even for here

incidentally there are at least 12 species on EARTH that classify as intelligent and that we could work with to get into space (most of them aquatic)

Quote:
There's more, but I'll leave it with that for the time being. Do you all think that 'Star Trek' is possible for us in reality?
Give it three Generations
Career Officer
# 3
02-24-2013, 12:41 AM
The fact that we were able to create something akin to the Trek Communicator (if not better) in about 30 years is, in my estimation, the best example of what is yet to come.

DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.

Last edited by daveyny; 02-24-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Directed energy weapons and antimatter bombs/torpedo's are within our grasp. The space craft would probably not look anything like the ones from Trek, but those are possible too. Now, transporter technology is most likely impossible with what we know about science/physics/all that good stuff now.

I won't touch on the subject of United Earth.

Aliens: The thing about Trek aliens is that they are all basically "human." They have human wants and drives. They are all three dimensional and are affected by the fourth dimension of time. But what stops an alien from being, say... Five dimensional? Or six? Or twenty? Nothing really. If you want an example of what I'm talking about, read this book Michael Crichton's Sphere
Around the beginning they talk about aliens, and the possibility of aliens existing on more dimensions than we see/can comprehend.
There are a plethora of things that could cause problems, and hosts of other theories, but you can go look them up yourselves. Needless to say, I don't think there are little green men or the popular "Greys" out there.
"Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
Elim Garak
Captain
# 5
02-24-2013, 01:44 AM
Physicist Miguel Alcubierre found a set of solutions to the problem of FTL travel, taking advantage of the fact that while nothing can move faster than light in an Einsteinian plenum, space itself doesn't technically, ah, "move". So, if you can cause the space in front of your vessel to contract, and the space behind it to expand, the bubble of flat space you're sitting in will sort of "surf" the metric of space/time.

The problem with Alcubierre's theory is that it requires a mass of exotic matter equal to approximately the mass of Jupiter. However, Howard White worked the numbers over, and found that if he assumed the exotic-matter ring to be more flattened (similar to the ring in a Vulcan D'Keyr-class cruiser, as opposed to Alcubierre's torus), and vibrated the edge of the envelope, it should only require a few hundred kilos of exotic matter.

NASA is in the process of constructing a test-bed to see if they can detect the production of an Alcubierre-White warp on a microscopic scale. If the theory does indeed describe something real, and if it turns out that dark matter exists, construction of an Alcubierre-White warp drive is just a matter of engineering. Travel speed would be limited to about ten times the speed of light under current theory, but that's a heck of a lot faster than we can manage now...

Meanwhile, in California, a physicist has designed a long-range stun weapon. It employs a relatively low-powered laser to ionize the air between the emitter and the target, then follows that with a powerful electric charge (which will follow the path of least resistance - that is, down the ionized beam). As the light beam and electrical discharge must be properly phased in order for this to work (and because what else would you call something that fires a beam on stun?), he has named his experimental weapon a phaser. The downside is that it's about the size of a typical kitchen table, and can only fire a couple of times before it needs its capacitors recharged, but then cell phones started off so big they had to fit into cars, and now I have a combination telephone, computer, and internet-access device that fits into a shirt pocket, so...
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Ensign
# 6
02-24-2013, 02:13 AM
A united earth is much more likely when given the ability of the species to move to other planets. sure there will probably be a few wars over land on earth itself seeing as it's the homeworld of humanity. But given enough time and the technology to spread out if Humanity where to reach other distant solar systems with habitable worlds and colonize I see no problem with a single government for each world.

The main problem with a one world government as it stands right now is that without competition and oversight of an outside government I don't see it lasting as a peaceful force. Here is where my peccimism kicks in full force: humanity is all to coruptable.

Without competition a government will grow complacent perhaps even abusive, even with competition governments do. but the point is that by having different diverse nations, planets, governments we protect humanity from itself by ensuring that even if one government grows abusive another is out there still being what it was intended and can potentially provide support, aid, and refuge or assylum to the people.

Our current problem with our theoretical warp drive or the Alcubierre drive is that it's essentially a solar system killer instead of a FTL drive. The collection of exoctic particles around the distortion evelope would have no way of being safely disipated and would most likely discharge exotic radiation at whatever was directly in the path of the vessel on disengaging the drive. (Source: extreme tech)

We already have tablets which probably far exceed the padd tech used in TNG, tricorders aren't that far off. Qualcomm is working on that, or at least getting people motivated to work on it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
02-24-2013, 02:56 AM
Firstly there is no evidence of antimatter existing (its a theory ONLY like dark matter , unicorns and the Non horizon universe)

Secondly Faster than light travel and warp travel are not the same thing
"Warp" would be impossible the nature of the cosmos would ERASE anyone stupid enough to try from physical existance

the best way to move faster than light would be to get Above the galaxy and more "against" spin
then drop down
the relative combined sublight speeds could exceed crash 1 (light speed)
Career Officer
# 8
02-24-2013, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Firstly there is no evidence of antimatter existing (its a theory ONLY like dark matter , unicorns and the Non horizon universe)
Better check again. Not only does antimatter exist, we have both observed it and created it in the laboratory.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/te.../antistat.html
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
02-24-2013, 03:18 AM
All I can say is this :

Explaining Trek Science
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
02-24-2013, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman98 View Post
Better check again. Not only does antimatter exist, we have both observed it and created it in the laboratory.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/te.../antistat.html
No we have NOT
No credible independant lab has created a visible (with the human eye) quantity of this theoretical material

its like higgs particles it has only been "observed by effect" by people who are deliberately looking
its seen by other stuff reacting to it (ie its hearsay)

as i say Unicorns , bigfoot , anti matter (actually in theory the existance of ANY at all would be potentially fatal for the cosmos)

you want to prove something exists
make 1 lb of it in a jar