Career Officer
# 31
02-24-2013, 06:07 PM
public queues are vital for new players...
Captain
# 32
02-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeowhiskey4 View Post
no need for chat bans...just a boot off a match. Hell...make it only valid within the first few minutes of a game... that way even the poorer players in an stf still have the opportunity to piss off the more elite ones and not be booted...

In private ones dont you end up 9 times out of 10 in one about to finish/halfway through?
and besides...if that were the solution then get rid of public queues altogether...
I don't know what you're getting at.

I didn't mention chat bans, I mentioned using chat channels to arrange for private matches.

Quite frankly, would be know-it-all "elite" PvEers are one the type of players who would end up abusing vote kick. Imo, these are the most annoying b/c they don't even realize they're griefing, but instead feel smug about doing themselves a favor by abusing the mechanic.

I assume in your 2nd paragraph you're refering to PvE again (this started regarding PvP not PvE) and no I've never come close to a 9 out of 10 failure rate in any PvE in this game random PuG groups or not.

Ideally, Cryptic would devote the resources to automate AFKer detection and/or have a report system in place where they can check the logs of a AFKer and not involve the player at all.

But, if it's AFKer Vote Kick or keep things the way they are where people can create private matches I pick private matches. AFKer Vote Kick creates a griefing mechanic to combat a griefing mechanic. Private Matches uses a grief avoidance mechanic. I know Private Matches take some social initiative, but this is an MMO afterall and not a single player game.
Captain
# 33
02-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc10b View Post
No it's not just a space issue. I had two AFKers in KA Ground a while back. They just stood in the chamber and didn't move until we had finished the boss.

They got really lucky with their rolls too as they managed to get all the loot everytime too.
Ah, but there's the rub: Those people AREN'T AFK. They've consciously made a decision to NOT do anything and are actively clicking the "Need" button anyway. No true "anti-AFK" system is really going to stop it. There's always going to be people hellbent on doing the minimum possible effort.

The only answers that will have any effect are systems for excluding undesirable individuals from your particular mission and, of course, naming and shaming those individuals so that others can also exclude them, thus resulting in them being channeled into an Leecher Ghetto with other leechers...or the avoidance of public queues, if you really run into the problem that much.
Lieutenant
# 34
02-25-2013, 07:03 AM
I have not been here for as long as most, but I have played a lot of STFs, and I do not really see this AFK issue that some are complaining about. However, I also do not do elite STFs, so perhaps the problem is centered there?

I suppose that is one more reason to avoid pugging an ELITE.
Starfleet Veteran
# 35
02-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Don't know if we are playing the same STO but I was doing PvPs the whole weekend...about 20-25 times perhaps and have not seen a single AFK.

Were you perhaps referring to STFs? that is an ongoing issues or perhaps space PvP?...its difficult but not impossible to AFK a PVP since you get killed or your teamates would have it with the attitude and all quit....ground is even more impossible...since someone can revive you and put you as the "dummy" target....

Still sorry to disagree with your perspective but I don't see any major AFK issues in PvPs
[
Empire Veteran
# 36
02-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader2007 View Post
Don't know if we are playing the same STO but I was doing PvPs the whole weekend...about 20-25 times perhaps and have not seen a single AFK.
I'm not sure which STO you are playing, but this is not a new problem, and has indeed gotten worse. It is particularly bad in the FvK matches.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeknow View Post
Well as far as the AFK leechers, there is no easy fix for that. Possibly have a minimal hard cap % of DPS or heals and debuffs done (to be fair to Engie and Sci chars) to an opponent to receive any rewards? As well as after a certain period of inactivity (and not simply a wiggling of the mouse resetting it) boot them from the instances?
Too easy to build a macro that simulates flight. All that do is make people better at building macros.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
If you've ever been unfairly silenced in this game you'll understand the fear. The silence tool was implemented to shut down goldfarmer spam. It gets abused to do more than that.

So the fear is legitimate.
5-man; 3 of 5 in a fleet together, final boss is almost dead, 3 fleeties vote out 2 non-fleetmates. Happened in those "other" games regularly...
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
Ah, but there's the rub: Those people AREN'T AFK. They've consciously made a decision to NOT do anything and are actively clicking the "Need" button anyway. No true "anti-AFK" system is really going to stop it. There's always going to be people hellbent on doing the minimum possible effort.

The only answers that will have any effect are systems for excluding undesirable individuals from your particular mission and, of course, naming and shaming those individuals so that others can also exclude them, thus resulting in them being channeled into an Leecher Ghetto with other leechers...or the avoidance of public queues, if you really run into the problem that much.

Not being able to name and shame outweighs the risk of someone being unfairly thrashed on the forums. The rules are, however, the rules. I'm surprised there isn't a well-known STO forum venue (like we used to use VN Boards way back in my Asheron's Call days) specifically running a subforum for N&S.
Career Officer
# 40
02-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Decrease the idle timer. Add a pattern check to determine if there is a repeating input pattern (3rd party macro running on software or Logitech keyboard) and have it ignore those inputs when checking idle. Remove all rewards if idle at mission completion.

The key is, there is 3rd party software and hardware available which would make it possible to even automate the queuing process, queuing, joining and leaving at the end all without an operator. Hell, I've done it myself in previous games, mainly to save myself from carpel-tunnel when farming/mining out in the world, usually still while at the keys, just not repeatedly running the same path and clicking in the same spots. Some of these even record and playback mouse movement. The hard-core paid multi-hacks often have bots with a "wiggle" randomization programmed in to make it more difficult to detect... unsure/doubt any of those have been made for STO (yet). (were I to bother with one for this, it would likely include in the pattern a spam of left-mouse clicks in the area "need" appears in when that window pops up).

Better FPSs and other mmos used to have the ability to filter out the repeating patterns which suggest simple "botting" macros used by afk farmers.

Its a matter of applying that same detection here - seek the anti-idle pattern and reject it for purposes of idle, afk flag, and inactivity logout.
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 4-5-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.

Last edited by jnohd; 02-25-2013 at 03:24 PM.