Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 844
# 11
02-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdax View Post
Just curious what more learned Captains then I think about the Charal as a viable escort for Engineering Captains. The Boff and console layout appear to favor both a Tactical and Engineer path. So then, what say you?
An eng captain should be the only captain flying the tac variant really it's lack of engineering BO and science is exactly why they should that way an eng can keep it alive longer

Plus an eng could run all energy up front and rear and have no problem with drain from any weapon

Whereas a tac will probably just go poof when the Borg don't even get past "we" in their iconic phrase
----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====----
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 185
# 12
02-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebloome View Post
The Sci and Eng variants of the andorian escort are more than fine for Engineers.
Engineers give it a bit more of that survivability it NEEDS, while still being able to give a whole lot of damage output.

When I see a tact. captain using the tactical version of the andorian escort in an elite STF. I point and laugh. I've already seen 3 of that distinctive setup explode already when they tried to kill elite cubes.
Yeah I disagree with that, its a total waste of time putting anything that Tac's in those ships, main reason is as I said before the BO slots are not good enough to support Engineers or Science officers.

Commander and Lt Commander bridge slots allow for level 3 skills to then use an Engineer or a Science Officer in a Lt or Ensign slot is a waste.

Then theres the whole asking for Fleet mates/ Friends to train your Tac BO's as the basic skill trainer can't do level 3 skills.

Then theres an Engineers and Science skill tree, how many of those Captains would have trained in Tactical skill tree and even if they did put a few in it still not going to match a Tactical Captain on an Escort same as an Engineer will have better skills for a cruiser compared to putting a Tac on it.

Further more this is an Escort we are talking about, I would laugh to if I saw an escort going solo against an elite cube. Elites are supposed to be a teamwork mission not every man for him self and an escort should always be in the presences of a cruiser for heals even if they are the best pilot. Those mission are not about who is the best its about teamwork!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 177
# 13
02-24-2013, 02:31 AM
Its a great line of ships for any captain wanting to deal DPS!

I have a fed tac and sci toon and I am finding this ship is better to use with the sci toon than the tac.

Either way is fine though and I run the same setups for the two captains

My setup on the sci version

omega torp, three phaser DHC, kumari wing cannons
phaser turret, cutting beam
adapted maco set
wing cannon, borg console for eng consoles
the other two kumari consoles, two field gens in sci
four rare mkXI phaser consoles in tac

BOFFs

comm tac: tac team, cannon scatter volley, torpedo spread 3, attack pattern beta 3
ltcomm tac: torpedo spread 1, cannon scatter volley, attack pattern beta 2
sci lt: hazard emitter, transfer shield strength
eng lt: epts1, eptw2
eng ens: epts1

two tac team doffs, two brace for impact, and sensor scan doff (sci toon...)

Setup works great for PvE!

Things melt and I can take a bit of damage before going down.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 49
# 14
02-24-2013, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariseabove View Post
Yeah I disagree with that, its a total waste of time putting anything that Tac's in those ships, main reason is as I said before the BO slots are not good enough to support Engineers or Science officers.

Commander and Lt Commander bridge slots allow for level 3 skills to then use an Engineer or a Science Officer in a Lt or Ensign slot is a waste.

Then theres the whole asking for Fleet mates/ Friends to train your Tac BO's as the basic skill trainer can't do level 3 skills.

Then theres an Engineers and Science skill tree, how many of those Captains would have trained in Tactical skill tree and even if they did put a few in it still not going to match a Tactical Captain on an Escort same as an Engineer will have better skills for a cruiser compared to putting a Tac on it.

Further more this is an Escort we are talking about, I would laugh to if I saw an escort going solo against an elite cube. Elites are supposed to be a teamwork mission not every man for him self and an escort should always be in the presences of a cruiser for heals even if they are the best pilot. Those mission are not about who is the best its about teamwork!
I read your last paragraph, then I choked on my tea and nearly spit it up. That was a funny read. Really, no sarcasm intended, I nearly spit my tea all over my keyboard.

I'm an engineer, I use the sci varient of this ship. Even before they fixed the shield modifier and healing bugs, elite cubes didn't pose a problem to kill at all in KASE. You'll find that while one person works on one side of a gate and the other works on the other + probes, when you're the 2 instead of 3, you'll find yourself soloing Cubes. Alot. If you honestly think both people should run to the opposite side to kill a cube, while jockeying back to take care of probes that come through... * snerk. *

The rest of your post, really, whats the problem? You'll always need to ask others to train Sci/Tac/Eng III captain only trainables, unless you have a level 50 alt of all 3.

As for building the boff laying.

Com.Tact - TT1, Torp:S2, C:SV2, AP whatever 3.
Lt.Com Tact- TT1, Torp:S2, C:SV2
E.Engie - EptS1
Lt. Uni - EptS1, Aux2Struct
Lt. Sci - TSS1. HE2 ( Or HE1, HE2. )

Best balance build you'll get out of it for PVE imho. That is if you run cannon + torp which is very nice for PVE. ( That is, if you can't afford to buy the 2x Elite Tact. Team doffs to get TT1 to overlap itself on 15sec GCD. )

Last edited by rosebloome; 02-24-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
# 15
02-24-2013, 03:51 AM
So which one would be better for engi, tactical or engineer version of this ship?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,222
# 16
02-24-2013, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariseabove View Post
Yeah I disagree with that, its a total waste of time putting anything that Tac's in those ships, main reason is as I said before the BO slots are not good enough to support Engineers or Science officers.

Commander and Lt Commander bridge slots allow for level 3 skills to then use an Engineer or a Science Officer in a Lt or Ensign slot is a waste.

Then theres the whole asking for Fleet mates/ Friends to train your Tac BO's as the basic skill trainer can't do level 3 skills.

Then theres an Engineers and Science skill tree, how many of those Captains would have trained in Tactical skill tree and even if they did put a few in it still not going to match a Tactical Captain on an Escort same as an Engineer will have better skills for a cruiser compared to putting a Tac on it.

Further more this is an Escort we are talking about, I would laugh to if I saw an escort going solo against an elite cube. Elites are supposed to be a teamwork mission not every man for him self and an escort should always be in the presences of a cruiser for heals even if they are the best pilot. Those mission are not about who is the best its about teamwork!
nothing of this makes any sense...last paragraph "soloing an elite cube a teamwork only thing"
yeah with your idea of skilling a captain you probably fail at the attempt, however if you can't take down a cube in ISE or any other elite stf with any ship or any captain you are doing everything wrong...from skilltree to shipbuild, really anything.

any captain works with escorts...a tac will probably be able to do most dps and a engi will be able to take alot of beating for an escort.

on topic: as others said before, it really doesn't matter which type you take they are all escorts. However the tactical boff seats on the kumari (tac version) force you to take either a mine or a beamweapon additionaly to your torpedo launcher...otherwise you won't be able to fill all tac boff slots.

roseblooms build is the way to go for PVE in my opinion.
Quote:
Com.Tact - TT1, Torp:S2, C:SV2, AP whatever 3.
Lt.Com Tact- TT1, Torp:S2, C:SV2
E.Engie - EptS1
Lt. Uni - EptS1, Aux2Struct
Lt. Sci - TSS1. HE2 ( Or HE1, HE2. )
for the kumari i would go with:

Com.Tact - TT1, Torp:S2, C:SV2, AP whatever 3.
Lt.Com Tact- TT1, AP beta (or delta), C:SV2
E.Engie - EptS1
Lt. Tac - Torp:S1, Disp.P beta1 (for tricobald mines)
Lt. Uni - TSS1. HE2 ( Or HE1, HE2. )
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 02-24-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 185
# 17
02-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebloome View Post
I read your last paragraph, then I choked on my tea and nearly spit it up. That was a funny read. Really, no sarcasm intended, I nearly spit my tea all over my keyboard.

I'm an engineer, I use the sci varient of this ship. Even before they fixed the shield modifier and healing bugs, elite cubes didn't pose a problem to kill at all in KASE. You'll find that while one person works on one side of a gate and the other works on the other + probes, when you're the 2 instead of 3, you'll find yourself soloing Cubes. Alot. If you honestly think both people should run to the opposite side to kill a cube, while jockeying back to take care of probes that come through... * snerk. *
Yeah I don't know why you nearly choked, I was only responding to what you said LOL,
maybe you should take your own advice LOL.

I simply said stf's where teamwork and cruisers should be close by, I did not say what your implying!

Anyway in case you forgot here is what you said before,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebloome View Post
When I see a tact. captain using the tactical version of the andorian escort in an elite STF. I point and laugh. I've already seen 3 of that distinctive setup explode already when they tried to kill elite cubes.

And over to the troll we have here,

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
nothing of this makes any sense...last paragraph "soloing an elite cube a teamwork only thing"
yeah with your idea of skilling a captain you probably fail at the attempt, however if you can't take down a cube in ISE or any other elite stf with any ship or any captain you are doing everything wrong...from skilltree to shipbuild, really anything.
If you actually read the previous page and seen "Rosebloome's" comments perhaps it would make sense.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 49
# 18
02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariseabove View Post
Yeah I don't know why you nearly choked, I was only responding to what you said LOL,
maybe you should take your own advice LOL.

I simply said stf's where teamwork and cruisers should be close by, I did not say what your implying!

Anyway in case you forgot here is what you said before,




And over to the troll we have here,



If you actually read the previous page and seen "Rosebloome's" comments perhaps it would make sense.
Hate to say it, but unless you're in a premade group with a specific setup of others ( Even then wouldn't trust pickups from zone, elitestf channels, etc. ) like fleet or friends, then elite STFs are pretty much every man for himself.

The tactical variant of the Andyscort gives like, the LEAST defensive capabilities out of any ship of the game, bar none, and a confusing bonus lt. tact boff slot all for 1 tact. console slot.

Its pretty rare for anyone in any Elite STF to use any real teamwork, aside from quietly knowing what they're supposed to do and get it done. I don't see much cross healing, as most people are smashing their faces agaisnt keyboards to try and get as much dps out as possible and saving their heals in case they get boss or elite tact. cube threat. Always, ALWAYS build a ship's layout and plan for it to be self sufficient. Always. Putting a tact. Captain in the Kumari tact. vairent.. the captain with least class specific survival abilities in what I can see as the worst survivability ship in the game is well.. a recipe for diaster unless you have RELIABLE backup. Just a FYI, I run all pugs duo with my gf, who flies an offensive oriented vesta.

Back on topic.

If you get just one of these ships, I'd highly recommend the Sci or Engineer vairants if you mostly pve and enter Ques solo. With the sci variant, you can stack shield % boost consoles and get a higher shield cap for your surv needs. Just remember, Eng. and Sci variants of the Andorian escort are pretty much copy pastes, except one has 4 sci consoles, other has 4 engineer consoles.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,222
# 19
02-25-2013, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariseabove View Post
Yeah I don't know why you nearly choked, I was only responding to what you said LOL,
maybe you should take your own advice LOL.

I simply said stf's where teamwork and cruisers should be close by, I did not say what your implying!

Anyway in case you forgot here is what you said before,




And over to the troll we have here,



If you actually read the previous page and seen "Rosebloome's" comments perhaps it would make sense.
If you think my coment about soloing an elite cube in stfs was trolling, you are further away from being even an average player than i expected.
To be honest, that is like the benchmark for a PVE performance to be able to solo a cube in ISE or whatever elite stf. The tactical cube is teamwork, but even those can be worn down by single ships with above average captains.
an Escort should be able to deal enough dmg to take it down before shields run out, a cruiser should be able to outlast it and a sci vessel should be able to either nerf powerlevels or have enough dmg potential to take it down fast.
Go pro or go home
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,394
# 20
02-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalwis View Post
So which one would be better for engi, tactical or engineer version of this ship?
I'd recommend the Charal (engi) ship. It's what I fly. It's got 5 forward weapons. 4 tactical consoles. It's not going to scrimp on tactical firepower. But it's also got more breathing room in the BOFF layout.

Remember though I bought the three pack. So I can just switch out to one of the others whenever I feel like. If you're only making a single purchase, you should take the one that you are going to feel most comfortable in.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 PM.