Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Dialog with Object
02-24-2013, 11:52 AM
I don't know how many will remember, but during beta testing for the foundry code merge that went with Season 6, there was a feature that showed up for a while called Dialog with Object objective. Now as you can imagine, it behaved very similar to the Dialog with Contact objective, but was tied to a detail object instead of an NPC.

I and a few others were very excited to see this as it had a multitude of uses especially for puzzles. Unfortunately at the time there were bugs which necessitated it pull and the feature never made it into Season 6.

I was recently reminded of this feature while discussing puzzle building. I was hoping CrypticFrost might be willing to poke around find out what became of this and if there is any chance that it might make a return.

@greendragoon
Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
02-25-2013, 11:09 AM
I'll see what I can find out.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticfrost View Post
I'll see what I can find out.
Thank you so much. Has anyone mentioned lately how awesome you are and how much what you do means to the Foundry community?

@greendragoon
Captain
# 4
02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
The objects now have default texts.

If I recall, the problem with the dialog with object in storyboard wasn't that it was buggy. It just didn't have complete functionality.

Ex: We could not specify an animation while using dialogue with object. This means that we'd still pretty much work around it, with invis objects and map-based popups.

I don't remember it having any added functionality that wasn't already in the Foundry. I might be wrong though.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
02-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Well that's kind of silly, half the features in the foundry have only partial implementation. It did in fact as it allowed a dialog with a failure outcome to be tied to a physical object.

Currently, if you want to tie a dialog to an object, you can:
  1. Have the object trigger a map dialog which on failure will reduce to an Ops button, but have no further connection to the object.
  2. Use the objects default dialog which as no failure option.

There are a lot of uses the objective had that are not covered under other means.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 6
02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Well that's kind of silly, half the features in the foundry have only partial implementation. It did in fact as it allowed a dialog with a failure outcome to be tied to a physical object.

Currently, if you want to tie a dialog to an object, you can:
  1. Have the object trigger a map dialog which on failure will reduce to an Ops button, but have no further connection to the object.
  2. Use the objects default dialog which as no failure option.

There are a lot of uses the objective had that are not covered under other means.
Those are good points. I hadn't considered the fail part.