Community Moderator
I wanted to start a thread about any projects that Foundry authors are working on, what they're learning, and what issues they're running into as a way to inspire and inform.

So the question is, "What are you working on right now?"

Did you learn how to do something cool in the Foundry while you were working on it?

Did you run into a problem with your project? Did you figure out a workaround?

I'll start.

The working title of my current project is "Incident at Melosia III". It was originally published as "Engineering Emergency" but it was too short to qualify for any rewards and really didn't resolve the overall plot introduced. So I am working on expanding it into a more complete mission, with some optional combat.

The basic premise is that a warp drive failure is tied into a diplomatic incident involving the transport of a team of diplomats.

This mission involves much heavier use of triggers than anything I've tried to do before.

One of the things I'm trying to do, which doesn't seem to be working as intended, was to set up an optional combat scenario involving rebel and loyalist forces. If you chose to support the rebels in the combat zone, you would fight loyalists and there would be rebel allies. And vice versa. Or you could avoid the combat zone altogether and go directly to the planet.

As of now, the thing basically spawns all of the combatants friend or foe. Makes for a cool light show involving hordes of shuttles and fighters, but not exactly what I was looking for. I'll be cleaning this up somehow.

I was able to set it up so that once you chose the rebels, you no longer had a choice to support the loyalists and vice versa. That part works great. I learned how to set up triggers based on the success of a dialogue and how to use failed dialogues to create conditional triggers.

I use one contact to send the player to one of three optional dialogues. One is supposed to set up a fight against the loyalists, supported by rebels. Another is supposed to do the opposite, and the third causes navigational beacons to appear and guide the player around the combat zone.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to make the choice "stick" once the diplomatic team is on the ground.

Still a work very much in progress, with somewhat more left to do. Yesterday I decided that I was making the player run around too much on the last map and began moving things around so that they don't have to run back and forth too much.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lieutenant
# 2
02-25-2013, 11:12 AM
I have been making over the past couple years some crazy mission involving the player dealing with 23rd century Connies. There is a part where you can fight a battle from the bridge. I'm making use of dialog and triggers to make the ship react to your choices. I wrote out a huge sequence that lets you do an actual battle with your ship taking damage, and there is also a different path that lets you avoid the battle completely. Just gotta finish the rest of the story, kinda stuck on that.
Captain
# 3
02-25-2013, 11:36 AM
I got three projects in the works right now. I keep bouncing between them but not putting enough time to push one out strong.

A full non-combat diplomacy mission involving moral command ethics and Trill symbiots.

A mission that spun off of a fleet made foundry mission involving the sudden influx of breen cruisers at christmas which has built into a full fledged mission that I've decided to finish.

And then my next mission in the Amanda Barclay collection, the one for the Klingon faction. This is the one that will probably end up finished first.
Career Officer
# 4
02-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Excellent thread!

I don't have any Foundry missions live, but I am using The Foundry to make my next video.

I found that Demo Record taken on a Foundry mission is less likely to crash, so decided to do my next video almost exclusively using it. It's been a lot easier, and so this new video will be a lot longer, and story driven.

It's almost done, and should be finished before the end of the week.

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
02-25-2013, 11:59 AM
I've been putting in time where ever I can working on Part 2 of In the Shadow of MIDAS. I'm making slow progress, but like it's prequel, it's a big mission. The big thing I've been working on is the showcase puzzle for the mission.

It basically involves using your communicator to coordinate with other members of an away team. To achieve this I'm using a persistent map dialog. (A dialog where all available options lead to failure.) When ever the dialog completes, it collapses to the Ops button along the side. I can then use the Dialog Prompt Reached state transition to detect when certain orders are given and trigger map changes accordingly. This means for example you can have one character man a security console while you move through having them unlock security doors along the way.

I'm still working out the details, but I'm hoping that I''ll also be able to have you be able to call in security team support or contact the ship and find out if there is any change outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish1701 View Post
Excellent thread!

I don't have any Foundry missions live, but I am using The Foundry to make my next video.

I found that Demo Record taken on a Foundry mission is less likely to crash, so decided to do my next video almost exclusively using it. It's been a lot easier, and so this new video will be a lot longer, and story driven.

It's almost done, and should be finished before the end of the week.
Just be aware that there is a bug with custom ground NPCs in the foundry where they don't record with demo record.

@greendragoon
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-25-2013, 12:01 PM
I just finished publishing "Dark Alliance 2: Black Spiral". It's my second project, and I learned a whole lot making this one, as well as uncovered quite a few bugs that I'm avoiding on the current one I'm working on now.

I wanted to try the whole "building in the sky" technique I've seen on various missions. Unfortunately, the objects I was using had severe pathing problems which caused the BOffs and the enemy NPC's to fall through the platforms whenever they encounted anything on the map. Pathing is a HUGE problem on every custom map, so I kept having to publish to the live server to test out any issues.

Some objects worked, but replacing the ones that didn't would ruin the feel I was trying to create, so I separated the map into two parts. It worked out, because I used some random build pieces to create a tram system going from one part of the complex to the other.

I also figured out that triggers work across maps. So something you do in one map could have an effect on the other. I tested it out with a pop-up conversation trigger and it worked perfectly. I'm going to try to make more use of this in Part 3 (like having different characters appear based on prior conversations, etc. Only problem is that you can't incorporate this into the story string.

The big challenge I have now, is that Part 2 ends with the player separated from his/her ship and crew with no away team. My first map on Part 3 starts with that. I know there are ways to spawn a character solo on a map, but that tends to be buggy sometimes and I want to perfect it, so I'm trying different techniques to see if there's a more solid method.

by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC
Captain
# 7
02-25-2013, 12:04 PM
I try to keep Mastiffs inside invisible walls, but each time I spawn another group inside, they BOTH go through and try to kill the player.
That's the last thing I need to publish my mission, and it's driving me crazy.

Once it's done, I'll try to translate my missions and publish them in English, to aim for a larger group of people. Then, I have about 5missions planned, already have the plot, need to do, well, everything else.
Community Moderator
# 8
02-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufpdewolfe View Post
I have been making over the past couple years some crazy mission involving the player dealing with 23rd century Connies. There is a part where you can fight a battle from the bridge. I'm making use of dialog and triggers to make the ship react to your choices. I wrote out a huge sequence that lets you do an actual battle with your ship taking damage, and there is also a different path that lets you avoid the battle completely. Just gotta finish the rest of the story, kinda stuck on that.
The battle sequence and fighting from the bridge sounds pretty cool. I'd love to see that!

Feel free to bounce story ideas off other Foundry authors so you can finish it.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Community Moderator
# 9
02-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by designationxr377 View Post
And then my next mission in the Amanda Barclay collection, the one for the Klingon faction. This is the one that will probably end up finished first.
Please do! Amanda Barclay is pretty much my favorite Foundry character, and a KDF mission involving her is guaranteed to make me pull my KDF characters out of the mothballs.

(Off-Topic: They totally need to immortalize Amanda as a VR DOFF )
Community Moderator
# 10
02-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
I've been putting in time where ever I can working on Part 2 of In the Shadow of MIDAS. I'm making slow progress, but like it's prequel, it's a big mission. The big thing I've been working on is the showcase puzzle for the mission.

It basically involves using your communicator to coordinate with other members of an away team. To achieve this I'm using a persistent map dialog. (A dialog where all available options lead to failure.) When ever the dialog completes, it collapses to the Ops button along the side. I can then use the Dialog Prompt Reached state transition to detect when certain orders are given and trigger map changes accordingly. This means for example you can have one character man a security console while you move through having them unlock security doors along the way.

I'm still working out the details, but I'm hoping that I''ll also be able to have you be able to call in security team support or contact the ship and find out if there is any change outside.
That sounds incredible! I hope you'll share how the mechanics of it works; your description is intriguing but I'm not understanding the setup.