Career Officer
# 11
02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
Interesting stuff. Star Treks idea of time and dates being constant across the galaxy flies in the face of Einstien's general relativity though. A person in a jet aircraft is experiencing time differently than you and i are on the ground.
Except that you need to have a common frame of reference for practically everything.

This is why they have temporal beacons to synchronize chronometers. Heck, just on Earth we sync our clocks to the same signals.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Rihannsu
# 12
02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Think again... see: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Stardate

That was part of Gene's idea. his backstory for why stardates are so erratic in the show is that they're based on your specific location and the speed you're moving at(amoung others).
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 13
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post

That was part of Gene's idea. his backstory for why stardates are so erratic in the show is that they're based on your specific location and the speed you're moving at(amoung others).
Ah thats been my excuse why one player is in the "Klingon war" timeframe while another is waiting for Iconians to show up.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
02-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Dang, I was gonna make a joke about how all the chronometers must be fitted with Einstein Compensators so that they'll all show the same time, but hey if Gene had it figured then lets go with that
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Career Officer
# 15
02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Um... the STO one doesn't do dates in 2009... only 2010-2013.
Anyways:
sample date: 2410,1,1,12:00
StevePugh: 87001.36(might be assuming 12 pm)
STOacademy: 87607.97(this one is assuming it was 12 am)
Well, whatever the case, a lot of the game is set in 2409, but as has been mentioned every character is in a different time. That's the unfortunate nature of an MMO.

That being said, one easy way of setting stardates is to just use the current date and convert that to the in-game stardate. That's what I did in my missions, at first. Although now it's a bit behind the times.

I think using the STO Academy calculator makes the most sense since it's in-line with the method used in the game. In addition, all of the Stardate calculations were rather contrived. TNG just increased them with each season, for example. TOS had basically no coherent system as far as I know.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 16
02-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Quote:

But... that makes no sense! That's so stupid! How would you ever arrange for multiple ships to meet up if everybody's using a different timezone?

That's why the battle of Wolf 359 was lost. The Borg showed up all at once while single Starfleet ships showed up every half an hour.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Rihannsu
# 17
02-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
But... that makes no sense! That's so stupid! How would you ever arrange for multiple ships to meet up if everybody's using a different timezone?

That's why the battle of Wolf 359 was lost. The Borg showed up all at once while single Starfleet ships showed up every half an hour.
lol, that was my thought too, but presumably the ship computers can calculate it.

It really is the sort of time/date system that only computers can use well.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 18
02-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Actually, relativistic time differences due to orbital speed and local gravity would be quite minimal and could be kept in sync via subspace transmissions from a computer network designed to calculate the variables much in the way GPS satellites do today. The very slight differences could only be detected by an observer through very sensitive equipment. Also, a ship moving at warp is technically not moving at all, the space around it is, so they would be unaffected by time dilation due to high speed.

The fact is the TOS writers just made these dates up because they had no way to know how huge, and anal retentive, a fan base they would have one day.

Another thing to keep in mind is that time itself works differently in an MMO setting than in a linier story line. We are all in the same "now" at every point in the game and when you complete a mission you are not doing it in real time, progressing into the game's future, so much as adding these events to your backstory. Put another way, suppose a mission takes place over a week of "game time." the player doesn't vannish from the gamne for a week, rather that week is counted as already having taken place once the mission is completed.

Last edited by ajstoner; 02-26-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that time itself works differently in an MMO setting than in a linier story line. We are all in the same "now" at every point in the game and when you complete a mission you are not doing it in real time, progressing into the game's future, so much as adding these events to your backstory. Put another way, suppose a mission takes place over a week of "game time." the player doesn't vannish from the gamne for a week, rather that week is counted as already having taken place once the mission is completed.
This is why I avoid using stardates in Foundry missions, unless they're official ones used in the shows and movies. When a player picks up a Foundry mission, their stardate is completely different from the next player's stardate. Maybe someday when they allow us to link quests, or they do a dialog string like [CurrentDate] or something like that, it'll make more sense.

by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC
Ensign
# 20
04-29-2013, 09:58 PM
1) I've been a user for over a year (despite what it claims my join date is... I got the game before it went free), it says "After a certain amount of time has passed since your registration date, you will be able to create new threads", how long do they want?

2) Has anyone come up with a formula for stardates accurate to the game?
I've used about 5 different sites and they call have different ones.
And others don't reveal their math. I need the math.