Career Officer
# 21
02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
In fairness.

If they took the basic idea of the Typhoon, it's defining features (paired nacelles, long secondary hull/saucer set further back on hull than usual) and redid it from scratch in a 2409 aesthetic, it would probably almost be cool. The existing one is a poorly thought out and terribly executed kitbash, but it has aspects just interesting enough to warrant attempting to make it not awful-looking.

The Jupiter on the otherhand is an irredeemable piece of crap that needs to be stricken from the game.
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
02-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Survivor of Remus
# 23
02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Maybe replacing the funky Jupiter design with a 2409 update/homage to the relatively intimidating Battleship from the Starfleet Command. I'd seriously love to captain something like that.
Rihannsu
# 24
02-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Typhoon likely looks as it does because it's meant to be an NPC ship.

It's common knowledge that our player ships are much better made then even the NPC versions of those same ships, graphic wise.
Captain
# 25
02-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Thats politician talk.

They are not going to release T6 ships because they would have pissed not only everyone that brought C-Store VA ships down to Pack ships but also would render the entire Fleet Ship line obsolete.

What you see is what you will get because they cannot just "up" and expect people to NOT be really pissed off about their constant changing the rules of the game and then we have Lockbox ships that would create a huge blacklash against Cryptic because of a forced upgrade that existed for no reason.

T6 is not going to happen and so they can "consider" the Typhoon for Admiral ship since they know there would never be a Admiral ship because NOBODY wants to have the T5/Lockbox/Fleet system utter invalidated.
Depends on how they do the level cap increase. Doing it just like every other rank increase is pointless. However, Admirals are supposed to control fleets. If your inactive ships are made into a fleet by promoting bridge officers to captain, then they are no longer gathering dust in the shipyard. An Admiral can pilot any ship whether it be a Tier 6 or lower ship, but captains in your fleet can only pilot Tier 5.5 ships and below. So your ships that are gathering dust would be now have some use by either fighting with you or sending them on missions. Implementing this system would allow Tier 6 ships in the game and not have the T5/Lockbox/Fleet system invalidated. In fact, it would be better than the current system since I can get some use out of my ships where I paid $25 on and now I can't be bothered to touch the ship.
Captain
# 26
02-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Eh, I'd rather see them do something.. retro-ish.. like adding in missiles as a standard weapon type. Let them be to torpedos as beam arrays are to dual beam banks.

I mean.. the Phoenix itself was a former nuclear missile afterall...

(As for canon, who has to say they must be 'Federation' weapons. Ferengi still use them. The Bio-Neural Warhead is effectively a cruise missile. Surely not all alliance races are opposed to still using 'archaic weapons'?)
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-25-2013, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't mind the Typhoon, it looks cool and with work could look better.

The Jupiter, however, is an ugly mess that should be deleted.
Republic Veteran
# 28
02-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
In fairness.

If they took the basic idea of the Typhoon, it's defining features (paired nacelles, long secondary hull/saucer set further back on hull than usual) and redid it from scratch in a 2409 aesthetic, it would probably almost be cool. The existing one is a poorly thought out and terribly executed kitbash, but it has aspects just interesting enough to warrant attempting to make it not awful-looking.

The Jupiter on the otherhand is an irredeemable piece of crap that needs to be stricken from the game.
This.

xoxoxoxo
STO community Doom-O-Meter: |||||||||
Captain
# 29
02-25-2013, 05:41 PM
The main problem I have with the Jupiter is the huge suckerfish deflector, if that were streamlined out and more details made on the hull and saucer sections the ship would look pretty smart. I could see it being added as a T5 free ship since free ship options are lacking above RAL but I would never spend zen or dilithium on such a ship. The Jupiter, forget it, it looks terrible.
Neither of these ships were meant to be playable, they are meant as moving background scenery, something thrown together to fill a role but not to be examined too closely and they look it. I would rather the graphic artists spend time on new designs than waste it on refining these things. I would like to see Odyssey variants, an updated dreadnaught, a true science cruiser like an Odyssey with the engines below and a science pod above like the Nebula, a full carrier of Federation design, not something that looks like a cross between a shoe and a sex toy like the Atrox.
Frankly I think the whole "Retro" thing is starting to get really old, I want to see something new, something that fits 25th century design thinking and not another ship pulled out of history.

Last edited by maxvitor; 02-25-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Captain
# 30
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
In fairness.

Agreed. Make a new version that looks like it came from 2409 and I'll be happy.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured ... the first thought forbidden ... the first freedom denied ... chains us all irrevocably."