Ensign
# 1 Hive Onslaught Instant Kill?
02-25-2013, 03:42 PM
So I started playing again recently and I've been easing my way back into Omega missions. The question I have is do the Borg have an instant kill aside from the Plasma Bolt? The reason I ask is that I have, on occasion, died seemingly at random while on this mission. I'll be cruising along, shields usually in the blue, then suddenly I'm told I need to respawn. The really odd part is that it's never been while the game is laggy, which made me wonder if there's another thing that can do it. Is there an out of bounds area, perhaps? I'm curious, because it happened to me at least 5 times, making me wonder if it's a gameplay feature rather than a bug.
Captain
# 2
02-25-2013, 03:51 PM
As far as I'm aware, there's 3 possibilities for that:

1) Invisible high yield torpedoes. An issue that the devs just can't seem to get rid of completely, though it seems to be much, much better than it was.

2) Regular torpedo spread. These little borg torps aren't easily spotted, but hit for much more per torp than most of our torps could do.

3) Borg energy weapons - Sometimes these crit/hit for some insane amounts, out of the blue. I'm not sure if it's a cannon or a beam array, but gates in particular seem to one-shot my weaker-hulled vessels (read B'rel). I image some other capital borg units can do it.
Republic Veteran
# 3
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
In case you didn't realise, the Queen also has a 5km AoE instakill attack. Watch for her shield UI flashing, then hit evasive and get distant.
Captain
# 4
02-25-2013, 05:15 PM
This the space one?

The Unimatrixes have a phaser lance that OHK's...

Queen has the aceton field of death...

Then there's the cubes with the high damage of doom, etc. etc.
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Captain
# 5
02-25-2013, 05:49 PM
They have buffed the HELL outta the Borg recently Elites are almost a major headache to play now....
Captain
# 6
02-25-2013, 06:04 PM
In addition to what twan said, I once exploded out of nowhere a few seconds after I destroyed a gate in KASE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Rihannsu
# 7
02-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Quote:
In addition to what twan said, I once exploded out of nowhere a few seconds after I destroyed a gate in KASE.
bit of an obvious question here, but...are you sure you didn't just get caught in the gate's explosion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-25-2013, 11:30 PM
I too have encountered few instakills without no apparent reason. I guess it must be the invisible torps :-)
Captain
# 9
02-26-2013, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Normal torpedo was already on its way.
It's new? NERF IT TILL IT BLEEDS

PWE proudly presents STO:Season 9.x: The Big Nerf.
Dil-sinks, EC-Value-Nerf and player satisfaction Nerf (a.k.a. Crafting Revamp), join the most epic grind ever avaiable in STO...
Captain
# 10
02-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Oh yeah that funky torpedo. Many times when I drop to 30% hull from full shields and hull, I'd turn, hit all my speed buffs and run for it, yet after I reach 23km out and start to turn then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.