Rihannsu
# 21
02-26-2013, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilrada View Post
But what if you're slowly pushing it into the gravity well?
You can make all kinds of rationalizations for the power, but that doesn't change that the power does not work like a tractor beam, but more like a "graviton pulse" or something, which shuts down the target's drives. Another fine example: Danube Runabouts stopping Battlecruisers with their tractor beam. As a "tractor beam", this does not make sense, but with a renamed power, it would.

It may seem like a superficial change, but actually it would help a lot, I think.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Captain
# 22
02-26-2013, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
No, it does not. It does not even remotely work like a tractor beam. It is, in fact a "shut down enemy drives" power, which as an entirely different thing. And that's why they should rename it, I think.
If that were the case, inertia would carry the target ship forward at the velocity it was moving at and on the vector it was traveling, which markedly doesn't happen.

Tractor beams do one of three things: pull something, hold something or push something. The current tractor beam power holds something. Don't go on a pointless crusade to rename something that does in fact do what it says it does.
Career Officer
# 23
02-26-2013, 06:02 AM
I kind of agree. It doesn't work to a tractor beam at it's full potential anyway.
For example if it has enough power to stop a ship at full impulse it should be able to pull a ship with engines off.
And we need new powers anyway. Across all departments in my opinion. So how about this:

Tractor Beam: Hold (single target, like the current one)
Tractor Beam: Repulse (multi target, does damage, like current TBR)
Tractor Beam: Pull (range 5km, channeled, pulls target to 0,5km aft of your position)

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008

Last edited by obertheromulan; 02-26-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Rihannsu
# 24
02-26-2013, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
If that were the case, inertia would carry the target ship forward at the velocity it was moving at and on the vector it was traveling, which markedly doesn't happen.
Inertia does not work that way in STO. When your drives are on, you move. When your drives are shut down, you stop.

Quote:
Tractor beams do one of three things: pull something, hold something or push something. The current tractor beam power holds something. Don't go on a pointless crusade to rename something that does in fact do what it says it does.
Well, how do you explain the gravity well behaviour I described, and how do you explain tiny shuttles stopping mighty battleships?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain
# 25
02-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Inertia does not work that way in STO. When your drives are on, you move. When your drives are shut down, you stop.

Well, how do you explain the gravity well behaviour I described, and how do you explain tiny shuttles stopping mighty battleships?
Make up your mind, either you want STO game physics to take precedence, or you want Trek physics to take precedence. You can't have it both ways when one suits your aims and the other doesn't.
Career Officer
# 26
02-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Yes the tractor beam (and the grappler too) would be far more effective if they worked like the real ones and were standard equipment instead of an ability.

Tractor beams are supposed to hold the target in place, and drag the target along with the ship.
Thowchum
Legendary Starfleet Captain
Fleet Leader, The Abductors
STO Forum Member since December 2010
Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
Rihannsu
# 27
02-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Make up your mind, either you want STO game physics to take precedence, or you want Trek physics to take precedence. You can't have it both ways when one suits your aims and the other doesn't.
I just want to rename a power so that people are not misled about what it does.
Captain
# 28
02-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
I just want to rename a power so that people are not misled about what it does.
That would require the power to function in a manner fundamentally different from what it's namesake does.

One of the primary functions of a tractor beam is to hold an object in place. STO's tractor beam power holds an object in place. Thusly, the name fits.
Captain
# 29
02-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilrada View Post
But what if you're slowly pushing it into the gravity well?
That's called a Tractor Beam Repulsor, or Repulsor Beam.

Tractor Beam = Pulls target
Repulsor Beam = Pushes target
Holding Beam = Stops target

Simple, isn't it?

Quote:
That would require the power to function in a manner fundamentally different from what it's namesake does.

One of the primary functions of a tractor beam is to hold an object in place. STO's tractor beam power holds an object in place. Thusly, the name fits.
Where do you get that? "the primary function of a tractor beam is to hold an object in place"

In fact, in most cases, the use of a tractor beam was in order to move an object. Not to hold it in place. Wesley reconfigured the Tractor Beam, to repulse a small asteroid. The only instance where i've seen a Tractor Beam used to hold an object, was to counter the Picard Manuever. Tractor Beams have also been configured for towing, so that the object can follow behind the ship at the ships speed.

Last edited by meurik; 02-26-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Captain
# 30
02-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
Where do you get that? "the primary function of a tractor beam is to hold an object in place"

In fact, in most cases, the use of a tractor beam was in order to move an object. Not to hold it in place. Wesley reconfigured the Tractor Beam, to repulse a small asteroid. The only instance where i've seen a Tractor Beam used to hold an object, was to counter the Picard Manuever. Tractor Beams have also been configured for towing, so that the object can follow behind the ship at the ships speed.
Use the full text of the quote please:

Quote:
One of the primary functions of a tractor beam is to hold an object in place.
Nowhere did I say that was the only thing that it did. In fact...

Quote:
Tractor beams do one of three things: pull something, hold something or push something.
Ideally Cryptic would have found a way to unite all three functions under a single power, but they opted instead to split them up into separate powers (yes, I know we only have two of the three functions at present).

Does using the Tractor Beam power hold an object? Yes it does. Therefore the name is absolutely appropriate.