Lieutenant
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 81
# 31
02-25-2013, 09:36 PM
You are not following. Here is what the Cryptic guy said, I have no idea how accurate it is:

The original devs had, apparently, 6 years. They blew 4 on screwing around and drawing pictures like the ones being discussed.

When Cryptic was brought in there were only two years left. The cycle was not quick, it was in fact an extremely generous development cycle that was mostly squandered by the original developers. If I had to guess the mentality behind Cryptic's 'short cycle', it is that every year you pay developers to make a game costs obscene amounts of money. The people funding STO were already burned by the first team and quite possibly not willing to dole out yet more money in hopes that the second team would actually do their jobs. So they said "We got the money for a two year cycle, take it or leave it" and Cryptic took it.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 246
# 32
02-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Given the time and whatever art they had from Perpetual to make a game out of it, I think Cryptic did a great job.
Ensign
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
# 33
02-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
We had a "rush job" because we were held to Perpetual's original release date. What you see above is really all they had (after 4 years). They had a ton of pretty drawings, and not much else. If they had actually started developing the GAME of STO when we took over, they would have had the same amount of time to complete it as we did.
So that explains why there are all the little bugs... that makes me feel a little bit better about the whole thing you guys have managed to do a lot with very little considering the time constraints.

I do find the idea of customizing things like the nacelle based on the engine used or the shield animations based on that component or weapons based on ... etc you get the idea but i'm also quite happy with being able to design the ship components somewhat staticallly from a base design like cryptic has right now.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/Redlack/signatures/metalbeastie.png
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 989
# 34
02-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompouluss View Post
You are not following. Here is what the Cryptic guy said, I have no idea how accurate it is:

The original devs had, apparently, 6 years. They blew 4 on screwing around and drawing pictures like the ones being discussed.

When Cryptic was brought in there were only two years left. The cycle was not quick, it was in fact an extremely generous development cycle that was mostly squandered by the original developers. If I had to guess the mentality behind Cryptic's 'short cycle', it is that every year you pay developers to make a game costs obscene amounts of money. The people funding STO were already burned by the first team and quite possibly not willing to dole out yet more money in hopes that the second team would actually do their jobs. So they said "We got the money for a two year cycle, take it or leave it" and Cryptic took it.
I followed perfectly, thank you, and you gave the answer I expected, though it would be nice to hear it from Cryptic. Ultimately, Cryptic chose to work under nearly impossible time constraints--it wasn't an imposition, but a term of Cryptic's attachment to the project.

Two years is painfully short for an MMO. Especially one that wants to be a AAA title. Then again, SWTOR had significantly longer, far more developers, and a much larger budget and didn't manage to accomplish much. I guess given the circumstances, Cryptic did well.

But it's all relative. I think Cryptic is/was capable of delivering a fantastic experience, but they've been hamstrung by the game's early release; they've spent so much time, effort, and money playing catch up and haven't really had an opportunity to stretch their wings until recently. I really believe we're just now starting to get a taste of what they're capable of as a studio.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 605
# 35
02-26-2013, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
I shed a tear every time someone brings up Perpetuals concept work; they had such a strong vision for the game and it's a shame they were passed up for taking too long. Given the time, I'm sure they would have delivered a fantastic experience.
Naw. Vision yes, but actually accomplishing anything? Maybe after 10 years.
____
* * *
STO community Doom-O-Meter: ||||||||| >> WARNING <<
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 605
# 36
02-26-2013, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
I would have preferred a slow and steady development cycle as opposed to the 2-year rush job we got from Cryptic. The unfortunate side-effect of Cryptic's fast turnaround is that the team had to play catch-up for most of the game's 3-year life thus far. We're just now getting to see the game expand.
You realize of course Cryptic had no choice in the fast turnaround and inherited Perpetual's release deadline, right? CBS felt burned by Perpetual (with good reason), and only sold the license on the condition that the buyer retain the deadline. Cryptic did pretty good considering that Perpetual had basically nothing to show for their years spent on the project and had to essentially start from scratch.

Cryptic has done many things I disagree with, but this really wasn't something they have control of, and did the best they could with. You may think "maybe they shouldn't have done it at all". Well, perhaps, but then there definitely would not have been an STO.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
We had a "rush job" because we were held to Perpetual's original release date. What you see above is really all they had (after 4 years). They had a ton of pretty drawings, and not much else. If they had actually started developing the GAME of STO when we took over, they would have had the same amount of time to complete it as we did.
Beat me to it.
____
* * *
STO community Doom-O-Meter: ||||||||| >> WARNING <<
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 605
# 37
02-26-2013, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
So STO was doomed to be rushed either way. That's very unfortunate. What was the mentality behind the short cycle? Were investors that anxious for a return? Was CBS? Did Star Trek 2009 have something to do with it?

I'm just curious why you guys were held to an impossible deadline when it would have made sense to extend development to give you all time to iterate. I find it hard to believe that no one during the process raised their hand and said, "Maybe releasing an unfinished product that we'll have to patch and fill in holes is not such a good idea. Please give us more time to deliver a quality experience that will put us in a better position to expand upon."
As has been stated, CBS felt burned by Perpetual. A dev said as much in an interview recently, but I forget whom. Either way, they also said that Cryptic did in fact ask for an extension of the deadline when they actually had some work to show. They received that extension, but it was only a month or two, less than they had hoped for I imagine.
____
* * *
STO community Doom-O-Meter: ||||||||| >> WARNING <<
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,296
# 38
02-26-2013, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p41nm4k3r View Post
http://www.deningart.com/images/Main...ShipCustom.jpg

This is all I ask for...

Unique designs for each weapon, not just projectile or beam color.

And the proper array charge animations, why don't we have these yet?
EPIC, my jaw is stuck on the floor this very minute..
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,874
# 39
02-26-2013, 07:46 AM
I was not on the project at launch, and I never worked at Perpetual, but yes, my understanding is that Perpetual had a contract to put the game out by sometime in 2009. When it was obvious they were going belly up, CBS offered the license up for grabs, but under the condition that whoever picked it up had the same deadline that Perpetual always had. Of course we asked for extensions and such, and we did get a short extension, but that was it.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10...rnaround-time/
http://www.tentonhammer.com/sto/news...road-to-launch

My point is that while Perpetual made some beautiful concept art, there was no game there. People who talk about how great a hypothetical Perpetual version of STO would have been are fooling themselves. If Cryptic had not picked up STO where it lay, and carried it the short distance we were told, there would be no STO.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy



Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,538
# 40
02-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I was not on the project at launch, and I never worked at Perpetual, but yes, my understanding is that Perpetual had a contract to put the game out by sometime in 2009. When it was obvious they were going belly up, CBS offered the license up for grabs, but under the condition that whoever picked it up had the same deadline that Perpetual always had. Of course we asked for extensions and such, and we did get a short extension, but that was it.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10...rnaround-time/
http://www.tentonhammer.com/sto/news...road-to-launch

My point is that while Perpetual made some beautiful concept art, there was no game there. People who talk about how great a hypothetical Perpetual version of STO would have been are fooling themselves. If Cryptic had not picked up STO where it lay, and carried it the short distance we were told, there would be no STO.
You did a good job with little time. However, I have a question, do you guys even wondered what you would have done, if you were the one that started working on STO, instead of perpetual, and having all this time ? Do you think you would have done the same game, more or less, or do something different ? I don't say something better, simply different.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 AM.