Career Officer
Three thoughts, all tied together.

People want rep systems to feel special. However, in spite of unique weapon graphics for Romulan rep, these generally go unnoticed. (I would like to see more Romulan kits added, possibly a Tac one with Romulan security.) I think a rep system with rewards that feel... more different would be appreciated.

Second, people are getting tired of the limited ways to earn fleet marks/dilithium. These need novelty.

So my thought is to focus on developing Fleet Actions based on holodeck scenarios that yield a both Fleet Marks and marks for a Holodeck reputation system with noticably exotic looking rewards such as a Holmes deerstalker outfit, Three Musketeers fencing gear, Captain Proton accessories, and Robin Hood. (Yes, Robin Hood was a Q simulation but might well have become a holo-program.) By making the grind content exceedingly visually novel, it becomes less of a chore.

One problem generally with adding novel elements are the art and animation expenses involved. However, a perk to Dixon Hill is that it could heavily rely on the existing formal wear assets with a few new additions. Historic holo-programs could use TOS and the Dominion War as jumping off points as well. And as for Robin Hood, we've seen that Neverwinter, Champions, and STO are capable of sharing character rigging and animations... and Champions and Neverwinter both have archery animations that could be cobbled together.

Weapons would include things like a Photonic Bow, Photonic Tommygun, etc. The novelty factor of these (aside from unique animations) is that they would be lower damage weapons that deal kinetic damage and offer shield penetration, treated as melee weapons that can be operated at longer ranges. Flaming arrows could have a plasma proc.

An advantage of Robin Hood and Beowulf would be that they could possibly recycle artwork from Neverwinter. Weapons would borrow animations from Champions and Neverwinter. The grind would be more bearable because of the unique look... but new artwork could still be fairly spaced out.

For example: Robin Hood is costume intensive for STO but doesn't require terribly novel maps. Whereas Dixon Hill would be more map intensive but require fewer new costumes, with the majority of NPCs in the formal wear pack. And Captain Proton calls for new elements of both but much of the costumes could be tweaks on the Winter coats and scarves and Romulan/section 31 costumes whereas the environments could be tweaked from the Dixon Hill work for a pulp serial 1930s look. Meanwhile, Hamlet could be added based on the DOffs which requires very little new costumes and the maps could borrow from Robin Hood and some Klingon assets. By the time all of that is done, Three Musketeers would rely mostly on the hats and fencing animations.

A Christmas Carol becomes a holiday option once Holmes is added.

Just a thought.
Empire Veteran
# 2
02-25-2013, 03:27 PM
*Throws money at Cryptic for Picard Dixon Hill outfit*
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Career Officer
# 3
02-25-2013, 03:28 PM
If you're gonna be re-purposing Neverwinter elements, may as well take one more step; make one of these Holo-Fleet Actions a sort of parody of high fantasy games.

Most of it you could do with stuff in STO now - Epohhs as rabbits, Wariguls as wolves, Fek'iri as demons, KDF Academy and New Romulus castle-y ruins for set pieces, Orion outifts as mock armor for female NPCs, etc.

All the mission objectives would be "kill five" or "collect five". The final boss could be a dragon borrowed from Neverwinter, or something more creative like one of those worms that pop up from ground retooled to be a water demon you can only fight from shore with ranged weapons. And all the dialog would poke fun at common fantasy tropes through a 25th century lens.
Captain
# 4
02-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Maybe a Battle of Britain themed Kobayashi Maru; with WWII fighters and bombers, and a radar instillation or something in place of the freighter? Just for giggles.

Special reward: aviation goggles!
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Career Officer
# 5
02-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
If you're gonna be re-purposing Neverwinter elements, may as well take one more step; make one of these Holo-Fleet Actions a sort of parody of high fantasy games.

Most of it you could do with stuff in STO now - Epohhs as rabbits, Wariguls as wolves, Fek'iri as demons, KDF Academy and New Romulus castle-y ruins for set pieces, Orion outifts as mock armor for female NPCs, etc.

All the mission objectives would be "kill five" or "collect five". The final boss could be a dragon borrowed from Neverwinter, or something more creative like one of those worms that pop up from ground retooled to be a water demon you can only fight from shore with ranged weapons. And all the dialog would poke fun at common fantasy tropes through a 25th century lens.
SHHHH. I've been toying with this as a Foundry mission for awhile now. I'm just looking for more assets.

Now, the thing is, I fully plan to do an actual parody and not a straight lift. So, for example, you get the long directions past all the perilous obstacles and your bridge officer says, "We could just use the transporter to beam there, Captain."

But I've been playing with the character editor for years now to perfect my "fantasy human on steroids" and "fantasy orc/elf/dwarves."