Empire Veteran
# 11
02-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
How exactly does it work? Is there any sort of threat reduction associated with it, or is it literally just 2s where the enemy can't target you? Would an NPC still attack you if you're the only enemy in range, or do they start wandering off towards the next target for 2s? Is there an internal cooldown on it, does it apply an immunity buff after it expires, or none of the above?
Pretty much your questions answered it.

It's a placate, so the enemy cannot target you at all, even if you are alone. They generally tend to sit there for a moment, since it is only 2 seconds still, and not really wander off, but whether they shoot someone else depends on the threat level you had on them (In PvE that is).

Example: If you placate a big bad tac cube who was on your butt before, chances are he'll still be wanting to shoot you after it's done.

Now yes, after the placate is done, it does give a 12 second immunity. Also, it only works on the enemy/enemies you are shooting. If you're focused on the tac cube, and he has a couple sphere buddies along, those spheres can still shoot at you unless of course you manage to placate them as well.

Career Officer
# 12
02-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Personally, I always choose damage in space and survivability on the ground.

Dying on the ground is easy and reduces your damage to zero. I see the challenge of ground gameplay as being to stay alive. More damage generally doesn't save a lot of time on the ground because enemies die so quickly anyway.

In space, dying is infrequent and not dying mainly relies on gameplay and a few specific skills whereas dealing enough damage is the challenge. Additionally, whereas there are a handful of kits/weapons that make noticeable damage differences on the ground, people's space damage is all over the map.

I see the key to distinguishing yourself on the ground is largely not dying (and then hokey pokey on a few STF optionals). The key to distinguishing yourself in space is killing faster.

It's rare that anyone will yell at you for not doing enough damage on the ground or not killing fast enough if you're using blue or better weapons of the appropriate Mk. It's more likely that your death will inconvenience people.

In space, sure, death inconveniences people but not doing enough damage is a bigger risk because the damage spread between ships/players/weapons are so large.
Career Officer
# 13
02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Pretty much your questions answered it.

It's a placate, so the enemy cannot target you at all, even if you are alone. They generally tend to sit there for a moment, since it is only 2 seconds still, and not really wander off, but whether they shoot someone else depends on the threat level you had on them (In PvE that is).

Example: If you placate a big bad tac cube who was on your butt before, chances are he'll still be wanting to shoot you after it's done.

Now yes, after the placate is done, it does give a 12 second immunity. Also, it only works on the enemy/enemies you are shooting. If you're focused on the tac cube, and he has a couple sphere buddies along, those spheres can still shoot at you unless of course you manage to placate them as well.
I will add, also:

I figured a placate was worth taking over the other option... and I'd also not have very much interest in the one that deals extra damage versus Borg only in Omega rep because I'd rather have something that works against all enemies.
Commander
# 14
02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
I took the placate because the placate proc will break tractors.
Commander
# 15
02-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post

Now yes, after the placate is done, it does give a 12 second immunity.
Thanks for the answers. I'm still not sold on either ability, but that 12s immunity from the placate will probably push me towards the shield heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
I took the placate because the placate proc will break tractors.
I run Polarize Hull 1 for tractor beam immunity, and there aren't enough tractor beams being used in PvE to need anything more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Personally, I always choose damage in space and survivability on the ground.
I followed that advice with regards to the two New Romulus ground passives; the critical hit might have been useful from the T1 passive, but I agree that staying alive is generally the priority in ground combat. I took the offensive Omega ground passives because the shield regen didn't seem all that impressive, and RWF looks to be mandatory for any ground eSTFs (which I stopped doing, but if I ever start doing them again I'm sure I'll want it).

Last edited by millimidget; 02-26-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Career Officer
# 16
02-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
Thanks for the answers. I'm still not sold on either ability, but that 12s immunity from the placate will probably push me towards the shield heal.

I run Polarize Hull 1 for tractor beam immunity, and there aren't enough tractor beams being used in PvE to need anything more than that.

I followed that advice with regards to the two New Romulus ground passives; the critical hit might have been useful from the T1 passive, but I agree that staying alive is generally the priority in ground combat. I took the offensive Omega ground passives because the shield regen didn't seem all that impressive, and RWF looks to be mandatory for any ground eSTFs (which I stopped doing, but if I ever start doing them again I'm sure I'll want it).
Foolish. With all due respect, on ground combat, crit is KING. You want to crit/one-shot your enemies before shielding is an issue. Believe you me!
Commander
# 17
02-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
Foolish. With all due respect, on ground combat, crit is KING. You want to crit/one-shot your enemies before shielding is an issue. Believe you me!
I pretty much already one-shot weaker NPCs with my pulseweave assault and flanking.

It's the tougher NPCs that cause me problems, and the NR ground shield passives have helped with reaching cover.

Besides, I really don't have much bonus crit damage on my ground set; 3% increased critical hit chance isn't even a 3% damage increase.
Captain
# 18
02-26-2013, 07:05 PM
It's largely up to you, but for the Romulan T4, you'll get more mileage out of the offensive one. The couple hundred shield points you get from the defensive one isn't going to matter if you get crit by anything that actually matters. Plus, placate is great for breaking tractor beams and such.