Lt. Commander
# 11
02-26-2013, 02:29 AM
Those instant crits/kills can take out some of the tankiest ships in the game. I was flying my Recluse (with my engi char) buffed with polarized hull, hazard emitters, aux sif, and tac team and I still got ROFLPWNED by a gate (Or maybe it was that tac cube that someone annoyed. I couldn't tell.) Sure, it wasn't a one hit KO, but it might as well have been.

Cause you know... Borg crit hits always travel in pairs. If by some miracle you survive the first one, the second one will stomp on your face.
"Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
Elim Garak
Career Officer
# 12
02-26-2013, 04:04 AM
HOSE has a few instakills, many are avoidable but the unimatrix and queen high yield and torp spreads are pretty much always one hit kills unless you are built tough. The unimatrix can throw them out ocassionally but the queen sometimes as often as 15s..
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Captain
# 13
02-26-2013, 07:11 AM
The Heavy Plasma Torpedo that they use seems to do as much damage as that mega Energy Bolt. They also have some kind of random crit ability it seems--I have been 20k from the fight and killed with 30k damage for no reason.
Rihannsu
# 14
02-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
They also have some kind of random crit ability it seems--I have been 20k from the fight and killed with 30k damage for no reason.
if it's the fight with the unimatrix ships, they fire huge lances at anyone who doesn't stay close to the queen

if it's the fight with the tactical cubes, you probably just got an unlucky torpedo hit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
02-26-2013, 08:37 AM
What I have notice is that when you get out of range of the enemie and you shot it does no damage at all but when the Borg shoots and when they pass the range (10km) they continue at you and come invisible and destroy you
Commander
# 16
02-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uss917019 View Post
What I have notice is that when you get out of range of the enemie and you shot it does no damage at all but when the Borg shoots and when they pass the range (10km) they continue at you and come invisible and destroy you
The "Hit / Miss" is calculated at the time of firing. If you move outside of 10km after the shot happened, you will still be hit. I have seen team mates being chased by plama torpedo spread when they try to use EM to escape and are changing direction sharply.

Energy weapons damamge varies over distance. But is the distance at the time of firing or distance the shot has travelled. I'm guessing it's at time of firing. So if you're using EM of RS to escape from a close distance, you will still be hit hard. And as RS drains your shield power it will punch straight through whatever shield you have left. Very different from you shooting at exterme range.

I also have a feeling that the shield facing being struck is also fixed at time of firing, but I need to test / investigate this more. I noticed this last night when I was taking heavy plasma canon damage from the gate. I used EM to turn sharply and saw the shot curve around my ship to hit a shield facing that was not directly between me and the gate anymore.

Not sure about shots becoming invisible after a certain distance. It may the case and something I can test. It would make sense that is the case. The animation and combat calculation system seem to have a loose association rather than a tight one. But that is hardly surprising.
Rihannsu
# 17
02-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonlyrecce View Post
I also have a feeling that the shield facing being struck is also fixed at time of firing, but I need to test / investigate this more. I noticed this last night when I was taking heavy plasma canon damage from the gate. I used EM to turn sharply and saw the shot curve around my ship to hit a shield facing that was not directly between me and the gate anymore.
this might be true for cannons, but it definitely isn't true for beams or torpedos, because i've seen enemy ships presenting a fresh shield facing halfway through a beam volley and that facing take damage

same with torpedos; you fire one at a downed facing and the ship turns to present a different facing while the torpedo is still in flight, the torpedo hits that facing (and you basically waste a torpedo, since they do almost no damage to shields)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Empire Veteran
# 18
02-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
bit of an obvious question here, but...are you sure you didn't just get caught in the gate's explosion?
If they launch some invisible torpedo it can still hit you.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Cryptic Studios Team
# 19
02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twam View Post
As far as I'm aware, there's 3 possibilities for that:

1) Invisible high yield torpedoes. An issue that the devs just can't seem to get rid of completely, though it seems to be much, much better than it was.
The "invisible" torpedoes are never High Yield. High Yield torpedo FX are on the Costume-draw budget, while standard Torpedo FX are on the FX budget. Guess which one caps out first? In fact, I've been led to believe that it's nearly impossible to cap out the Costume-draw budget.

Anyway, invisible NON-High Yield Torpedoes are a bane to us as Designers, as well. And we're working to reduce their frequency, and potency. We're currently working on a change that should have a noticable impact on the Borg's ability to one-shot (or come close).

That said, high Kinetic resistance is always, always, always a good idea. If you have an ability that increases it, you should be running it as frequently as possible when fighting the Borg.

Quote:
2) Regular torpedo spread. These little borg torps aren't easily spotted, but hit for much more per torp than most of our torps could do.
This ability certainly suffers from FX-draw limitations, and can sometimes be very difficult to see in the midst of combat, possibly even invisible. We're recently been going through our higher-rank ships (like Borg Cubes, Tac Cubes, Transwarp Gates, etc) and reducing their Spread ranks from 3 down to 2 or 1 to reduce the raw damage and number of projectiles.

Quote:
3) Borg energy weapons - Sometimes these crit/hit for some insane amounts, out of the blue. I'm not sure if it's a cannon or a beam array, but gates in particular seem to one-shot my weaker-hulled vessels (read B'rel). I image some other capital borg units can do it.
Off the top of my head, the only Energy weapons that should be capable of dealing massive damage in a single hit are those used by the Unimatrix Ships on Into The Hive. They have a power mechanic that is meant to keep players engaging both of them simultaneously - if you move out of range of either of them, they will Lance you which can frequently be a one-hit-kill. So just stay between them, and they can't use that ability.

The Queen and the Transwarp Gate (in Infected) are also capable of hitting very hard, but they shouldn't be reaching one-shot capacity. If anyone experiences this, please post a screenshot of your combat log.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Commander
# 20
02-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
The "invisible" torpedoes are never High Yield. High Yield torpedo FX are on the Costume-draw budget, while standard Torpedo FX are on the FX budget. Guess which one caps out first? In fact, I've been led to believe that it's nearly impossible to cap out the Costume-draw budget.
Are you aware that's it's possible to make the 3 Plasma Torps from the Romulan plasma torpedo launcher "disappear"? It happens at certain viewing angles, but bascially when they are overlapping.

I haven't tried it when the screen isn't busy but have definately had it during ISE.