Captain
# 61
02-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Sure, you don't want the gear, don't play.
You do realize you spent this entire thread going after a guy who asked for new powers/gear to be exclusively on content he wanted to do right?

How exactly is that not the height of hypocrisy?
Career Officer
# 62
02-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
This is a video game not a tv show. They already have gear in the game that is different vs. human players then against comps. Look at Phaser they stun human players for half the time compared to comps.
The phasers work the same against NPCs and Human players. Human players just tend to be higher level and have better mitigation than enemies, such as body armor, shields, and passives.
Career Officer
# 63
02-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblygumsworth View Post
PvP unlocks and items gained through a PvP System should only be usable in PvP scenarios. A lot of MMOs have PvE restricted equipment and PvP restricted equipment.

If the gear unlocked via the PvP rep system is usable for PvE I'm sure we'll see another rise in AFKers or Suiciders who are only in the PvP match for the free rep to bvuy new shiny stuff to "Lol I'm Kirk/ Picard" borg with.
That makes about as much sense as Romulan Reputation rewards only being useful for Romulan missions. The AFK problem needs to be solved period regardless of any new reputation system.

You are basically saying, "we shouldn't lower the speed limit to improve safety on this road because it will lead to more people speeding," when you should be saying, "let's stop the speeders by enforcing the law or installing speed mitigation devices."
Captain
# 64
02-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
I certainly isn't going to make people like PvP any more than allowing people to buy their STF gear makes people like STF's but at least it makes them try it if they really want the gear. But to make the gear less effective against PvE ensures they never attempt to confront an opponent that WILL kill them if they're not on the top of their game.
True it might make some people give PvP a try but if they make it hard to get the gear then some people will just abandon it all together and never ever go back. If they make a PvP reputation system it should not be hard to advance (wining) in the reputation system. The winners should get more PvP credits wile the losers get less but still reasonable amount. I still think either way making PvP reputation gear being good in all situations is a bad idea and will result in a lot exploitation.
Captain
# 65
02-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
You do realize you spent this entire thread going after a guy who asked for new powers/gear to be exclusively on content he wanted to do right?

How exactly is that not the height of hypocrisy?
LOL, nice try. Refer to post #2:
Quote:
Make PvP rep work only in PvP, while PvE rep only works in PvE.

Problem solved.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 66
02-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
The phasers work the same against NPCs and Human players. Human players just tend to be higher level and have better mitigation than enemies, such as body armor, shields, and passives.
The Stun from Phasers is different vs. Humans then comps at least that is what is says also weapon malfunctions from Polaron is also different. Is the info from the weapons wrong?
Captain
# 67
02-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
LOL, nice try. Refer to post #2:
1) I'm not the one suggesting that markedly superior gear be segregated in one specific type of reputation/content area solely because I like that content area, or dislike other areas.

2) I'm not the one who said this:

Quote:
So by that logic since I'm a KDF PvP'er who doesn't participate in the rep systems I deserve to miss out ?

The BEST gear is already part of a system that tho optional, is mandatory if you want the gear. Why should the PvP rep system treat players any different that the current system ?
Or this...

Quote:
Say what ?
Human opponents are the hardest enemies to defeat in the game. There's nothing in the PvE game that requires gear that can't be crafted or dropped from FE missions. Just getting slaughtered in a PvP match shouldn't be considered sufficient enough to earn access to the best gear in the game (I'm assuming will be better than anything currently available in-game). If you're not going to play PvP then why would you want gear that's ineffective against PvE opponents and require you to refit/change ships if you decide to play a PvE battle ? And if you've earned gear suitable to battle the hardest enemies in the game why would you accept them being less than optimal against inferior enemies compared to inferior gear ?

Or this...

Quote:
Everyone knows how power creep intices players to go after more powerful gear even tho they don't really need it. To keep PvP gear effective against only other live players ensures PvP never becomes popular to the general player, and never gets any real attention from the devs because it's so exclusive.
So please, explain to me how criticizing one person for wanting his toys to be made the shiniest and then turning around and demanding the exact same thing isn't utterly hypocritical?
Captain
# 68
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
1) I'm not the one suggesting that markedly superior gear be segregated in one specific type of reputation/content area solely because I like that content area
Yes, you did- post # 2
Quote:
So please, explain to me how criticizing one person for wanting his toys to be made the shiniest and then turning around and demanding the exact same thing isn't utterly hypocritical?
As for criticizing one person, I think your mistaken. You should really re-read the thread and consider that I was carrying on 3 different conversations with 3 different posters.
daramuss wants no PvP rep system at all, you and marshalericdavid want to keep the gear segregated and PvP gear less effective against AI.

Not once, anywhere in this thread did I criticize anyone for their view, tho different than my own. Tho I did say I wanted PvP gear to be 'top tier' since it IS against opponents that actually fight back I can now see where you think I'm being hypocritical.

So be it.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?

Last edited by lordmalak1; 02-26-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 69
02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Quote:
You amuse me.

If a PvP reputation system comes in to being whilst PvP is still broken there there will be new gear that comes out that the non-PvPers will either:

a) Feel forced to participate in a genre that they dislike. Players who are forced to do things they don't like tend to lose interest in a game.

b) Go without, all the whilst feeling resentful that the gear is not available via PvE which is the VAST majority of this game. (If PvP was the majority I'm sure they'd have more than 8 maps available. Care to argue that point?)

Options a) and b) are not good for the longevity of the game. Then again if you cared for the longevity of the game you might be able to see that.

The only way a reputation system can be implemented without situations a) or b) eventuating is for that gear to only be usable in PvP. That is the fairest scenario of all.
Captain
# 70
02-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
You amuse me.

If a PvP reputation system comes in to being whilst PvP is still broken there there will be new gear that comes out that the non-PvPers will either:

a) Feel forced to participate in a genre that they dislike. Players who are forced to do things they don't like tend to lose interest in a game.

b) Go without, all the whilst feeling resentful that the gear is not available via PvE which is the VAST majority of this game. (If PvP was the majority I'm sure they'd have more than 8 maps available. Care to argue that point?)

Options a) and b) are not good for the longevity of the game. Then again if you cared for the longevity of the game you might be able to see that.

The only way a reputation system can be implemented without situations a) or b) eventuating is for that gear to only be usable in PvP. That is the fairest scenario of all.
If you feel forced to something and have problem with it - do not do it - problem solved.

I PvP mostly, and I was also forced to grind STFs and other repeatable crap for rep. Now, I would rather be obliterated 100x in PvP by the most horrible cheese there is, instead of doing Cure space with 4 total noobs who are unable to distribute shields and their dmg is comparable to Npc miranda.