Empire Veteran
# 601
02-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced strategies and tactics- effective use of key binding and tray setup

this is the secret behind everyone you see being impossibly good. sure, many will say they don't use any macros and do great, but they could do much better sans clicking. the ui lag alone makes it almost a necessity, not just an effectiveness boosting measure.

clicking to activate anything you NEED mid urgent situation is putting you at a huge disadvantage compared to someone that has panic macros that will execute exactly what they need when they need it. this goes for chaining a bunch of tac buffs, the windows of opportunity were a target cant have APO or TT are golden, if you fumble clicking to activate abilities you likely wont be able to mount an effective attack at the right time. if you have the luxury of a cloak, this is a bit less of an issue, but whenever you attack wile uncloaked, mid battle, macros for alpha creating are invaluable.

you cant macro everything, well i suppose you could but you might find yourself in the same situation your in trying to click activate everything. effectively set up treys are just as important, even though i have most abilities you cycle often set up in a macro, i always include them in the main 3 viable treys so i can keep an eye on their cooldowns. several abilities like RSP, evasive, the tac/eng/sci fleet, and most other captain powers you don't want part of any more common macro, those are for use exactly when you need them. group your 3 visible trays in a way that is intuitive to you, so not a split second is wasted searching for abilities to click

macros and controls i recommend

the go to bind for most is to bind all sorts of things to spacebar, this is actually a terrible idea and you need to wean yourself off this immediately. every time you hit a macro it will activate 2 things at once, but anything you have bound to the fire key will take priority and cause more then a second worth delay befor firing, that can take away a bunch of damage from an alpha with a bunch of tac buffs running.

i re did all my binds recently, and its improved my effectiveness 50%, on top of the 50% improvement my old binds gave me over useing no binds. i recomend a mouse with between 4 and 6 extra buttons to use for macros, i use a logitec G700 myself, and all my ability macros are on it. hitting the macro keys will only activate 1 or 2 at once, so you must hit these keys over and over as fast as you can, not just once.

non macros

fire all energy

fire all toprs

fire all mines (if you use mines)

these you just setup in the bind menu in game, no macros needed with these.

macros

execute full tray 4 (basic defense)-
assuming you have treys 1 through 3 visible in your hud at all times, place skills you want cycling at all times in tray 4, and distribute all shields. skills like EPtX, AtB and put fleet support there too, this is one you click contently, so as soon as your hull drops that low it will call in the npc

execute full tray 5 (basic offense)- place in tray 5 skills like the attack patterns, CRF, BO, THY and APA. when you see a window of opportunity, you want this bind activating all those abilities as fast as humanly possible. maybe even skills like TB or VM as well.

execute full tray 6 (oh **** button)- place in tray 6 TT, and FBP if you have it. it might be tempting to stick this in trey 5, but you really want these separate so it can be activated at a moments notice, ONLY when you need it. you never want someone watching you use TT for no reason, in 10 seconds they will begin an alpha on you. nothing is more life and death then TT activated exactly when you need it. i also like to put BFI and the subspace modual here,

execute full tray 7 (rapid healing)- place heals like TSS, AtS, HE, and ET or ST, in that order. this can be helpful for saveing a team mate, throwing everything you can on them, or the same for yourself. ET last is so your panic healing doesnt trump your TT when you would have needed it more. leave something like RSP off here. frantically clicking on heals to try to save you or yourself is frustrating and ineffective, this keybind on the other hand is awesome at timely delivering heals

execute full tray 8 (special)- every build should have something here, a defensive or offensive skill. things like RSP, EWP, GW, VM, consoles skills, anything like that you want activated at a moments notice, but dont fit with the cycleing of the other binds.

handy extras

target calling bind- say in team chat something along the lines of target '$Target', this will send a team message saying target your current target, im sure you have seen this pop up in pvp before. my exact line is 'pew directly at ->$Target<-'

end of match message- if you hate switching to zone chat, and typeing gg, or want something more universal for all those ocations were it was NOT a gg, you can bind a simple message of say in zone chat 'thanks for the match' or something. i use such a bind to spam this thread when i see several people that could maybe use some pvp help.

/softwarecursor 0- hate when your mouse gets that stupid shadow pointer that follows it around? this command will fix that. i have it set to say in local chat, and then i select it and hitctrlC and ctrlV it into the chat box and hit enter. having it display doesn't activate it, but it brings up the right command, like i could remember it off the top of my head.

there you have it, thats basically all my hax, if you have trouble killing me, its because i have all this running at the touch of multiple buttons. seems like it might be a lot of work to set up in some text file right? WRONG! to be even more of a lazy macro abuser, i made all these binds with a key bind generating graphical user interface. give it a try here, its foolproof

http://www.ifes.us/STOKeyBind/index.html
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus

Last edited by dontdrunkimshoot; 05-24-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Captain
# 602
02-25-2013, 02:02 AM
@dontdrunkimshoot:
Althrough i rarely do any PvP, just i want to say thank you for this exceedingly helpful thread!

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
Captain
# 603
02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Just some Questions relating your "2 AtB galaxy R" build.
What damage type do you use or recommend?
I am torn between Plasma (romulan maybe later) and (polarized) Disruptor energy type.

Next week i am finally going to be able to get my hands on the romulan Threat-Scaling Science Consoles which give additional Plasma damage. Do Plasma energy tactical consoles boost the additional damage from those consoles?

Or maybe something completely different?

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
Career Officer
# 604
02-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
Just some Questions relating your "2 AtB galaxy R" build.
What damage type do you use or recommend?
I am torn between Plasma (romulan maybe later) and (polarized) Disruptor energy type.

Next week i am finally going to be able to get my hands on the romulan Threat-Scaling Science Consoles which give additional Plasma damage. Do Plasma energy tactical consoles boost the additional damage from those consoles?

Or maybe something completely different?
the main thing to remember is your weapons have to have AT LEAST 10% accuracy (20% would be better) and CrtD of +20 and at least 4% CrtH (critical chance).
If your weapons have any amount of the latter two, but no accuracy, they are useless. Because what's the point of being able to do critical damage if you can't hit your target?
Career Officer
# 605 To DDIS...
02-26-2013, 05:03 PM
I have edited and perfected my build. I'd be honored if you added this to the table of contents

Ferengi D'Kora Marauder tac/sci build Science class
Captain
# 606
02-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
I have edited and perfected my build. I'd be honored if you added this to the table of contents

Ferengi D'Kora Marauder tac/sci build Science class
IMO D'Kora is begging for an A2B build, in fact I was single mindedly grinding EC to buy one, them the Jem HEC hit and I got that instead, and ran the build I'd intended for the D'Kora with minor modifications.

I don't like it, sorry. The D'Kora can run DHCs, it's criminal to run singles. Exocomp needs to be stacked if possible (fed maintenance engineers fluxuate but can be as cheap as a couple million EC) or paired with a high level quartermaster (arm and a leg for just a blue). EPTSx2 instead of another EPTx with damage control engineers is a weak choice. Get the Lobi console out of the Tac console slot. Get some embassy hull and shield consoles for sure and maybe run another 2 piece, although borg 2 piece is a safe choice.

But back to the beginning for a D'Kora: A2B, all day, every day.
Career Officer
# 607
02-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
IMO D'Kora is begging for an A2B build, in fact I was single mindedly grinding EC to buy one, them the Jem HEC hit and I got that instead, and ran the build I'd intended for the D'Kora with minor modifications.

I don't like it, sorry. The D'Kora can run DHCs, it's criminal to run singles. Exocomp needs to be stacked if possible (fed maintenance engineers fluxuate but can be as cheap as a couple million EC) or paired with a high level quartermaster (arm and a leg for just a blue). EPTSx2 instead of another EPTx with damage control engineers is a weak choice. Get the Lobi console out of the Tac console slot. Get some embassy hull and shield consoles for sure and maybe run another 2 piece, although borg 2 piece is a safe choice.

But back to the beginning for a D'Kora: A2B, all day, every day.
lol I've done more damage with these weapons than most ships with dhcs equipped.

Yes. The doffs could be changed. Problem is I don't have certain things like damage control engineers and a few others. But eventually I'll modify the doffs and tweek them.

And yes, I know about the science consoles at the embassy, obviously . I'll be adding an emitter from there when our base finishes its upgrade.

And no, it wouldn't be logical to remove the combat module, because I'm not a tactical captain. I don't have things like Attack Pattern Alpha for extra damage.

I DO use alterations during combat, like inserting the tachyon mine instead of the cutting beam. And so on and so forth.
Captain
# 608
02-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
lol I've done more damage with these weapons than most ships with dhcs equipped.

Yes. The doffs could be changed. Problem is I don't have certain things like damage control engineers and a few others. But eventually I'll modify the doffs and tweek them.

And yes, I know about the science consoles at the embassy, obviously . I'll be adding an emitter from there when our base finishes its upgrade.

And no, it wouldn't be logical to remove the combat module, because I'm not a tactical captain. I don't have things like Attack Pattern Alpha for extra damage.

I DO use alterations during combat, like inserting the tachyon mine instead of the cutting beam. And so on and so forth.
I didn't mean remove it, just put it in an eng or sci console slot. But that's just me. And you did post it for Tac/Sci. And you can do more damage, sure, but you hang out here enough to know that the damage needs to be abrupt.

It's not a terrible build, but I see some holes, IMO. No APO or PH, so no hold breaking. And I think you're missing a Cmdr Eng ability in the list.

You could wreck **** with a Sci in a D'Kora, and here's how I'd do it. Sub-Nuc being the great equalizer, it's the equivalent of having your buddy get on his hands and knees behind somebody, so as a non-Tac it's just up to you to figure out how to shove as hard as you can.

TT, CRF1, APO1
HYT1
EPTS, A2B, RSP, DEM3
EPTx, A2B
PH, HE

DHCx3, Either rep torp
Turretx3 or 4, KCB

3 piece MACO

2 purple Techs, 1-3 maint eng, Marion, Battery cd quartermaster

2 piece MACO + 2 purple Tech doffs is enough for cd reduction.

Marion is going to give you 8 seconds when you trigger DEM of freight train DHC. maint eng battery doffs will give you a damage boost to make up for lack of APA, battery qm's will bring the battery back up faster. So you could ditch marion, depend on the battery to overcap, and pick whether you want another 10% or want it to come back up faster.

A great sci alpha would involve a dual battery - weapons and aux, with 3 maint engineers. Dual Batt, Super Scan, SNB, APO, CRF, high weapon power, HYT, if you're really daring slot a TB for a hold too. I don't have a sci at tier 5 rep but you should also be able to buff Sensor Scan further with the Rom T5 clickie. IDK for sure. 3 piece MACO beam at the end too.

Those doffs are pricey, no question, so it's probably pie in the sky for most people, and dual batts are either lobi or a whole lot of EC for 20 sec of a buff.

Also I'd say this is a pug build; I'm not counting on anybody to follow my keybind tell that I'm putting a subnuc downrange, and I'm giving up a lot to bring my own damage. This is a build I've only put on paper since my sci toons have no Rom rep and only conversion box Omega. By the time I get around to them it will probably be out of date.
Career Officer
# 609
02-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
I didn't mean remove it, just put it in an eng or sci console slot. But that's just me. And you did post it for Tac/Sci. And you can do more damage, sure, but you hang out here enough to know that the damage needs to be abrupt.

It's not a terrible build, but I see some holes, IMO. No APO or PH, so no hold breaking. And I think you're missing a Cmdr Eng ability in the list.

You could wreck **** with a Sci in a D'Kora, and here's how I'd do it. Sub-Nuc being the great equalizer, it's the equivalent of having your buddy get on his hands and knees behind somebody, so as a non-Tac it's just up to you to figure out how to shove as hard as you can.

TT, CRF1, APO1
HYT1
EPTS, A2B, RSP, DEM3
EPTx, A2B
PH, HE

DHCx3, Either rep torp
Turretx3 or 4, KCB

3 piece MACO

2 purple Techs, 1-3 maint eng, Marion, Battery cd quartermaster

2 piece MACO + 2 purple Tech doffs is enough for cd reduction.

Marion is going to give you 8 seconds when you trigger DEM of freight train DHC. maint eng battery doffs will give you a damage boost to make up for lack of APA, battery qm's will bring the battery back up faster. So you could ditch marion, depend on the battery to overcap, and pick whether you want another 10% or want it to come back up faster.

A great sci alpha would involve a dual battery - weapons and aux, with 3 maint engineers. Dual Batt, Super Scan, SNB, APO, CRF, high weapon power, HYT, if you're really daring slot a TB for a hold too. I don't have a sci at tier 5 rep but you should also be able to buff Sensor Scan further with the Rom T5 clickie. IDK for sure. 3 piece MACO beam at the end too.

Those doffs are pricey, no question, so it's probably pie in the sky for most people, and dual batts are either lobi or a whole lot of EC for 20 sec of a buff.

Also I'd say this is a pug build; I'm not counting on anybody to follow my keybind tell that I'm putting a subnuc downrange, and I'm giving up a lot to bring my own damage. This is a build I've only put on paper since my sci toons have no Rom rep and only conversion box Omega. By the time I get around to them it will probably be out of date.
so you're suggesting more of an aux-to-battery type build.....?
I don't think that would be wise on a d'kora. Perhaps another science ship would be best suited for that kind of orientation..........
Captain
# 610
02-26-2013, 08:59 PM
But, but, but... what about the Doh'Kora?

Passives
New Rom - Precision, Sensor Targeting Assault
Omega - Omega Weapon Training, Omega Graviton Amplifier

TS1, DPB1, APO1
TT1

EPtS1, AtB1, RSP2, EWP3
EPtA1, AtB1

TSS1, HE2

DOFFs - 2x Tech(AtB), 2x PWO(Torp), MAS(EWP)

Weapons
Fore - Rom Turret [Acc][CrtH], Omega Torp, Plasma Torp [Acc][CrtH]x2, Hargh'peng Torp
Aft - Cutting Beam, Plasma Mines [CrtH]x2[CrtD], Hyper-Plasma Torp, Plasma Torp [Acc][CrtH]x2

Deflector - KHG
Engine - Aegis
Shields - KHG

Consoles
Tac - 3x Ambiplasma
Eng - Tachyo, Borg, Rule 62, Neut
Sci - 0Point, Nadeon, BM3000

Running x/25, x/100, x/50, x/25 Power...

People always be hating on my builds... /sniffle
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin

Last edited by virusdancer; 02-27-2013 at 01:18 AM.