Go Back   Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
Login

Captain
# 11
02-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Would it be helpful and nice? Sure. Would it be "the single most important Foundry improvement?" No, not at all. Branching objectives would fill that role to my thinking and there would be plenty of stuff between.
Captain
# 12
02-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
CBS seems really strict on what they're allowing in the game...I could see them explicitly telling Cryptic that they don't want weird things combos (like green cat women)
And yet you CAN have green cat women so you already can make weird things so why not just unlock the whole thing?
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Rihannsu
# 13
02-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Quote:
CBS seems really strict on what they're allowing in the game...I could see them explicitly telling Cryptic that they don't want weird things combos (like green cat women)
And yet I keep running into Zentraedi player characters. :p

It is probable that the char creator is designed specifically to not allow certain things. Obviously Zentraedi aren't one of them though. :p It always has bugged me that "alien" chars are not able to use a LOT of appearance options.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 14
02-26-2013, 12:38 PM
I can understand Cryptic wanting to limit some things in the Foundry, but I find it a bit too limiting. For an example, when creating an alien species, you are limited to Federation or KDF clothing and equipment.

So it would be nice if you could have a non-party affiliation and allowed to customize NPCs that don't use Federation or KDF costume options, but in the Foundry you have much more alien costume options. And with equipment, I would like to choose what they use. Like turning off Thalaron weaponry when using Romulans or turning off everything but basic weapons so I can have my Foundry mission more like Star Trek and not STO Star Trek.

So be nice if we could have more freedom in this area.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Captain
# 15
02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
From what has been said in interviews, the reason that costumes are unavailable is that they are not sure which ones work in what combinations. DSthal has said that he is open to opening them up and letting us figure it out on our own if the community shows enough interest so I suggest we get on him about that.

The alien editor has already been stepped-down once because (I presume) they didn't want players making custom versions of races in the game that are otherwise restricted as C Store items, faction availability, etc so that likely won't change.
Rihannsu
# 16
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
From what has been said in interviews, the reason that costumes are unavailable is that they are not sure which ones work in what combinations. DSthal has said that he is open to opening them up and letting us figure it out on our own if the community shows enough interest so I suggest we get on him about that.
I support that idea.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 17
02-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post

The alien editor has already been stepped-down once because (I presume) they didn't want players making custom versions of races in the game that are otherwise restricted as C Store items, faction availability, etc so that likely won't change.
Not talking about the Holodeck, I'm talking Foundry. Just look at how many times we've seen people create new aliens dressed up in Federation, KDF, or the off-duty outfits?

As for the Alien creator with the Holodeck, I been wishing for years they add tails, claws (not the current ones), beaks, and snouts and make non humanoid lifeforms. Which really would be nice for the Foundry too.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Career Officer
# 18
02-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Isn't that basically what Robert Blackman and co. did for many many years?

Brannon Braga or whoever would walk in and say "Robert, we need an alien for a background shot. About five feet tall, dark blue with a furry head."

And Blackman would say "No problem. You want a tail with that?"

And Braga would say "Sure, why not."

Aliens are supposed to be, well, alien. Nothing's too wierd for Star Trek, even that incredibly-disturbing-yet-somewhat-arousing cat-faced, semi-nude green chick.

This game already put titties on a Saurian, for crying out loud. We could do no greater sin against nature even if we tried.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 19
02-27-2013, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Not talking about the Holodeck, I'm talking Foundry. Just look at how many times we've seen people create new aliens dressed up in Federation, KDF, or the off-duty outfits?
Yes but these things have all been checked and cross-checked with one-another and found to work properly, and then they have to be added into the foundry itself. The reservations he expressed were mainly combinations of costumes and skins that they never worked with, such as Tholians and Undine using uniform pieces which, apart from not working, might cause the game to crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
As for the Alien creator with the Holodeck, I been wishing for years they add tails, claws (not the current ones), beaks, and snouts and make non humanoid lifeforms. Which really would be nice for the Foundry too.
Supposedly the character creator is getting updated in the near future.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-27-2013, 05:01 AM
We also have to keep in mind, that some of the costumes we create using the import function might be unintended errors that will get "fixed" in the future. I really hope this is not the case, but you never know.

Right now, if you make a fed costume, and then switch the faction to KDF, some of the menus, color options, and pulldowns for the outfits go all sorts of weird, and vice versa, making some of the options useless. Not sure if that's just my experience. But who knows what will happen once that gets adjusted as well.

by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC