Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Commander
# 41
02-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
Be honest, how many times have you had a pug in your team who doesn't know how to distribute shields? I'd even go as far as saying the person wouldn't even know what we are on about if we mentioned it in the team.
Too many of my targets, that's for sure. Distribute shields probably would have given them that crucial two seconds to react to me dumping an alpha strike onto them and possibly turning things around.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
Lieutenant
Quote:
As the title says. This would reduce the amount of newcomers insta popping the moment they enter the arenas. The newcomers would become less of a burden to the team and also they would survive long enough to see the enjoyment of pvp.

We want more people to join pvp so thought this would be a good start to reduce the learning curve.
AS the title says. Just add this type of F up bug into the game instead of the same old BS .....oh and thx!...for 3 epic years!.....of pvp gameplay!.....
Lieutenant
# 43
02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
I never knew that auto distribute could be bound until I started doing PvP and reading these forums. I saw a forum poster make a comment about how silly it was that most people don't know about binding shield distro to spacebar so I pm'd him and asked him if he would give me the command. He did. It made a big difference. I no longer had to distribute shields by clicking on my shield grid in the ui and was able to focus on all the new things going on around me. It also made a noticeable difference in my survivability.

I wonder how many people would have stayed with the game/PvP had it not been for this lack of feature? We probably also wouldn't need things like Elite Fleet Shields giving crazy passive resists if people were trained in using the mechanics and controls of the game a bit better from the start.

I like Antonio's idea of making it a toggle. Right click on the shield grid to turn autobalance on/off. Go a step further and put the text "Auto-Balance:ON" or "OFF" somewhere around it.

For those who dont already know, beam into space within a system and put the following in your chat box and hit enter:

/bind space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FirePhasers $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Your spacebar will now fire phasers (energy weapons) and distribute your shields. Should you ever want to remove it and go back to the default key settings: /unbind_all

~Maverick
Captain
# 44
02-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
How is this any more easy mode than binding distribute to space bar? It isn't. All this does is give the same "easy mode" functionality to players who are too inexperienced or stupid to exploit it the way we do.

That about sums it up. Their is far too much of this in the game. The great divide between terribad players and decent players has nothing to do with skill but simply knowledge the game never bothers to give you and everyone who has been playing for a decent amount of time sees it as common sense.
STO's F2P is basically an inferior experience for the masses at no cost being subsidized by a handful of whales seeking whatever it is that motivates them to spend hundreds if not thousands on a game.
Captain
# 45
02-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
That about sums it up. Their is far too much of this in the game. The great divide between terribad players and decent players has nothing to do with skill but simply knowledge the game never bothers to give you and everyone who has been playing for a decent amount of time sees it as common sense.
Exactly - how can Cryptic mitigate this then?
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Career Officer
# 46
02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
They need to come here and spend a whole month pouring over the forums like I did at the beginning just to learn the fundamentals. Then they need to fly several months while scouring the forums and learning more. If you can find an experienced player to mentor you, even better. They should ask the main guys who post how to improve. And possibly get on some of the TSs or Vents of elite teams to get even more advice.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Career Officer
# 47
02-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
They need to come here and spend a whole month pouring over the forums like I did at the beginning just to learn the fundamentals. Then they need to fly several months while scouring the forums and learning more. If you can find an experienced player to mentor you, even better. They should ask the main guys who post how to improve. And possibly get on some of the TSs or Vents of elite teams to get even more advice.

I appreciate the sentiment, but what you did was what players who are really dedicated to a game do. It's how most of us on the forums got to the point we are at now.

What PvP needs though is to be more approachable to the newcomer, and having to go through the forums basically studying for a video game doesn't really suit everyone.

Captain
# 48
02-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Exactly - how can Cryptic mitigate this then?
Lots of little things, obviously the distribute shield 'toggle' option is a good start. The first thing they need to do is stop spreading miss information or bad advice and increase the good advice.

1- Rewrite the 'tips' that appear on loading screen to be both accurate and more informative.

2- Redo all 'default' ship weapon setups to something more useful. A beam array on the front arc of my defiant is not useful nor is the one in the aft.

3- Offer better 'cookie cutter' setups to aid players. For example a Tac Boff that is trained out of the box with say Tac Team 1, Torpedo Spread 2, Attack Pattern Omega 1, Cannon Rapid Fire 3 from somewhere instead of them all being random mish mashed crap.

4- Detail out some of the more 'debated' mechanics so players can focus on helping each other instead of arguing about how things work.

5- Have ships start at the offensive power setting instead of balanced.

I'm pretty sure there is likely 20+ things I have missed but those would be a start.
STO's F2P is basically an inferior experience for the masses at no cost being subsidized by a handful of whales seeking whatever it is that motivates them to spend hundreds if not thousands on a game.
Captain
# 49
02-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Oh, but the biggest number one thing they could do.

Balance the Game

When you offer options that are simply bad for players (boarding parties) it is a bad thing.

When you create some options that are vastly superior or required in 95% of situations (Tac Team) instead of others (Other Teams) it is a bad thing. Would it really break balance if all 3 teams had the auto distribute shield feature and a minor buff was granted to Tac Teams offensive boost or a good thing?

On that note, why are the power levels still so unbalanced as far as usefulness goes? Why is EPtS 1 still doubling your effective survivability as an ensign skill?

I could go on but I think I made my point. While we are all used to those things and how the game has been designed and scaled around them for those unaware of the relative strength of some things compared to others it creates a brick wall of things that need to be learned just to be decent. In a game that is trying to attract a casual player base that might not be a good idea especially when things are not obvious.
Captain
# 50
02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Instead of making Distribute Shields: All a toggle, why not make it always on with the facing presets being toggles that basically give you TT-level reinforcement to one facing at the cost of balancing shields (which can be canceled by hitting any of the facing reinforcement toggles)?
If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.