Ensign
# 1 Questions
02-27-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm working on a foundry series (first part should be published in a week or so, maps are more or less complete, starting storyboard today) and have a few questions:

1. At the end of my first mission the player must fight a klingon ship equipped with borg weapons. To accomplish this, I have the encounter as a borg cube with a nehg'var costume. However, when testing the encounter the ship randomly dissapears from the map, and if I use the "Kill" button a destroyed cube spawns after the explosion. I'll probably switch it to a sphere for now, but in a later mission there will be a similar encounter that needs the extra fire power of the cube to make sense. So, is there any way to work around the cube debris spawn?

2. What is the best way to simulate a space station exploding, or is it acceptable for this to happen off camera during a map change from station interior to space, with a debris field where the station was at the begining of the mission?

3. In a later mission I would, ideally, have an impossible encounter with the objective being to survive until help arrives, at which point the enemy would warp away. As this is currently not possible, I'm considering having this take place as a dialouge on the bridge, with triggers showing escalating damage (ie fires and falling equipment). Since we can't currently use a player's actual bridge, would I recieve negative reviews for forcing a bridge design on people with a disclaimer about foundry limitations?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmark444 View Post
I'm working on a foundry series (first part should be published in a week or so, maps are more or less complete, starting storyboard today) and have a few questions:

1. At the end of my first mission the player must fight a klingon ship equipped with borg weapons. To accomplish this, I have the encounter as a borg cube with a nehg'var costume. However, when testing the encounter the ship randomly dissapears from the map, and if I use the "Kill" button a destroyed cube spawns after the explosion. I'll probably switch it to a sphere for now, but in a later mission there will be a similar encounter that needs the extra fire power of the cube to make sense. So, is there any way to work around the cube debris spawn?

2. What is the best way to simulate a space station exploding, or is it acceptable for this to happen off camera during a map change from station interior to space, with a debris field where the station was at the begining of the mission?

3. In a later mission I would, ideally, have an impossible encounter with the objective being to survive until help arrives, at which point the enemy would warp away. As this is currently not possible, I'm considering having this take place as a dialouge on the bridge, with triggers showing escalating damage (ie fires and falling equipment). Since we can't currently use a player's actual bridge, would I recieve negative reviews for forcing a bridge design on people with a disclaimer about foundry limitations?
1) no way that I know of, the destroy animation only applies to the ship/mob that was originally skinned. The borg cube is especially difficult because that debris just does not go away for a while.

2) yes, with triggers. Add explosion effects to key points on the station to provide a good cover. Once the component its reached, complete, or the objective done, make those visible via triggers, as well as making the station "hidden". It would be nice to add some debris along with the explosions.

3) personally I would not disclaimer the limitations of the foundry. I'd find a way to script your mission around that limitation. One that its frequently suggested its the battle bridge. You could also use a command post in engineering.
Ensign
# 3
02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks, I hadn't considered the battle bridge, and I could even throw in some dialouge before the map transfer saying the main bridge has suffered some form of damage as an explanation.
Captain
# 4
02-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Quote:
That will always happen with a reskinned Borg Cube. You also may notice it moves rather strangely for a ship. I would suggest reskinning a Romulan or Undine ship here as they both also use plasma-based weapons.

Quote:
Use a triggered event and remove the space station and place debris and any effects you want to use. If you know (through set-up) that the player's ship will be very close to the station when it goes yoy can have camera shakes, static, radiation, etc spawn that go away once you leave the area through hidden reach markers.

Quote:
People WILL downrate you due to wrong bridge use. One good trick I've seen is to have the bridge damaged, forcing the player to his auxillery bridge. Another solution could be to have a huge enemy force in-bound and have you fight parts of it before the option to run comes and just have a boff say something like "Hey, here comes 50 enemy ships!" and the engineer reports "I finally reversed the polarity of the men's room urinal, we can escape!"
Ensign
# 5 Other Question
12-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Since support directed me here and search didn't spit out anything and since I as a newbie am unable to open a new thread, I'll ask here:

Why is it impossible to use DS9/Bajor or ESD-System as startpoints for missions? They dont show up on the maps for potential systems to enter to begin a mission.
Captain
# 6
12-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowraq View Post
Since support directed me here and search didn't spit out anything and since I as a newbie am unable to open a new thread, I'll ask here:

Why is it impossible to use DS9/Bajor or ESD-System as startpoints for missions? They dont show up on the maps for potential systems to enter to begin a mission.
InB4lock! For future reference, try padding your post count a little in Ten Forward, our off-topic forum. We've got a number of "forumites being silly" threads you could use.

On to your question. You mean from sector space? Probably some weird Cryptic logic due to them being the locations of social hubs. There's any number of interactables inside the social maps that you can use as entry points, however.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
12-29-2013, 08:13 PM
For the last question, I recommending changing things just a little to give the appearance of an unending battle. Start our with the player fighting a couple of enemy groups. (Be careful not to have too many as to overwhelm the player.) As an individual group is killed, have another triggered to replace it. Have this a couple of times and then have it setup so that the cavalry arrives and all mobs are set to despawn. with a popup saying that the enemy forces have retreated.

The battle feels un-winnable because the enemy forces keep coming, but in fact the player is advancing the "timer" for you.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 8
12-29-2013, 08:28 PM
^Greenie, the thread was necroed.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
12-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Whoops. Been on vacation so I've only been popping in sporadically.

@greendragoon