Captain
# 121
02-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Oh, boy, Russian diminutives for names are quite something to explain--and the list of things Alyosha Karamazov himself was called by is quite a long one.

I think I'll just give you this Wikipedia link. I just know this stuff from reading lots of Russian literature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocoristic#Russian

(BTW, you would not want to use all of the ones that are on the list. Certain ones are rude--the kind of diminutive that's a put-down and not a compliment. They tend to end in -ka--though not the ones that end in -enka. Yeah...it's a tough one to explain.)
Thanks for the link, that's interesting reading I won't pretend that I understand it any better, but I will look further into the subject I think I get the gist of some of it, for example, I assume 'Alyoshka' be considered mocking rather than familiar?

Quote:
He must've been tickled when Selek did that!
He was indeed, as he was also named her en'ahr'at (the Vulcan equivalent of godparent) Given that 'Selek' is quite a frequent Vulcan name, I think he wanted his daughter to have something unique, so named her after his friend. Positively sentimental by Vulcan standards

[Edit to add]
While we're discussing names... The Valkyrie's new flight controller is ensign T'Natra... I really liked the Romulan name 'Donatra', and reasoned that 'T'Natra' would be the original Vulcan root name, much like 'Hamish' is the Scottish version of 'James'... Looking through the Vulcan Language Dictionary, an interesting coincidence is 'Natara' was the pre-reform Vulcan god of water... Perhaps 'T'Natra' may have been derived from that name, like the Hispanic use of 'Hayzoos'... ^_^

Last edited by marcusdkane; 02-27-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Captain
# 122
02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
@ Mussapiens: Nice entry I really liked the sense of impending doom towards the end
Captain
# 123
02-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Thanks for the link, that's interesting reading I won't pretend that I understand it any better, but I will look further into the subject I think I get the gist of some of it, for example, I assume 'Alyoshka' be considered mocking rather than familiar?
Just found a much better one on TVTropes that explains it!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...mingConvention

Now, seeing as the trend in many Western societies seems to be from more formal to less formal as time progresses, I think it's possible things are a bit less formal by the 25th century than they are now, but this should gie you a pretty good idea.

And yeah, Alyoshka is probably a rather dismissive thing to call someone.

I imagine if Alyosha met Marcus Kane, though, he'd be quite impressed if Marcus knew enough to call him Alexei Ivanovich. Come to think of it, it could be very interesting for those two to meet--assuming Kane was in a position of power in Starfleet Intelligence ca. 2372.

Quote:
He was indeed, as he was also named her en'ahr'at (the Vulcan equivalent of godparent) Given that 'Selek' is quite a frequent Vulcan name, I think he wanted his daughter to have something unique, so named her after his friend. Positively sentimental by Vulcan standards
Indeed.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 124
02-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
@ Mussapiens: Nice entry I really liked the sense of impending doom towards the end
From a gaming perspective I particularly got a kick out of the description of the invisible torpedo. Sounds like someone had a bad STF.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Last edited by gulberat; 02-27-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Captain
# 125
02-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Just found a much better one on TVTropes that explains it!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...mingConvention

Now, seeing as the trend in many Western societies seems to be from more formal to less formal as time progresses, I think it's possible things are a bit less formal by the 25th century than they are now, but this should gie you a pretty good idea.
Ahhh, that makes a lot more sense, thank you ^_^

Quote:
And yeah, Alyoshka is probably a rather dismissive thing to call someone.
Having read that link, I think it is safe to say that is a term of address Marcus would definitely not have used Equally, if anyone other than his sister were to call him 'Polo', they would have been (to quote from the Big Lebowski) entering a world of pain

Quote:
I imagine if Alyosha met Marcus Kane, though, he'd be quite impressed if Marcus knew enough to call him Alexei Ivanovich.
Marcus' education was primarily Vulcan, so I don't think he would have known that

Quote:
Come to think of it, it could be very interesting for those two to meet--assuming Kane was in a position of power in Starfleet Intelligence ca. 2372.
2372 is in the period where Marcus had taken command of the USS Endeavour, but was still sent on assignments on behalf of Starfleet Intelligence (he didn't become head of the department till 2390) so it would certainly not be implausible for them to have been given a shared assignment at some point, especially as Marcus is probably one of the few officers in the fleet who could be assigned to work with Alyosha with absolutely zero risk. As mentioned, if you ever want to write such a mission as an LC, please feel free ^_^

Last edited by marcusdkane; 02-27-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Captain
# 126
02-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Marcus' education was primarily Vulcan, so I don't think he would have known that
I see. Marcus does still seem to have some emotions, though, despite his restraint? He's not AS restrained as a Vulcan, is he?

Quote:
2372 is in the period where Marcus had taken command of the USS Endeavour, but was still sent on assignments on behalf of Starfleet Intelligence (he didn't become head of the department till 2390) so it would certainly not be implausible for them to have been given a shared assignment at some point, especially as Marcus is probably one of the few officers in the fleet who could be assigned to work with Alyosha with absolutely zero risk. As mentioned, if you ever want to write such a mission as an LC, please feel free ^_^
Alyosha was primarily used as a courier for highly classified orders. There are a few other things he could've been used for, too. But at that time, I don't think Starfleet fully trusted him. So you're thinking that Starfleet might pair him with Marcus because they know Alyosha can't kill him? :-/

Captain
# 127
02-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Quote:
I see. Marcus does still seem to have some emotions, though, despite his restraint? He's not AS restrained as a Vulcan, is he?
Indeed, he did still have emotions, but was taught to control them by a Vulcan Master to try and restore his emotional equilibrium after his mother's death. I would say his restraint was about 90% Vulcan-norm: Noticeably 'flattened' by Human standards, but certainly what would be considered 'acceptable behaviour' by Vulcan standards, but there were some subjects (notably references to his mother or sister) which could trigger an unfiltered outburst...

[Edit to add]
Marcus' emotional control was not as complete as that of a Vulcan, despite spending nearly eight years under Sovak's tutelage, simply because as a Human, his brain simply does not possess the same structures which the Vulcan brain has which enable them to suppress their emotions as much as they do: What they are able to learn to do through biology, Marcus had to learn to do through sheer force of will and mental discipline, hence why he would sometimes have shown more emotion than was considered 'proper' in Vulcan society.

Quote:
Alyosha was primarily used as a courier for highly classified orders. There are a few other things he could've been used for, too. But at that time, I don't think Starfleet fully trusted him. So you're thinking that Starfleet might pair him with Marcus because they know Alyosha can't kill him? :-/
I think Intelligence might have paired them not only knowing that Alyosha could not kill him, but equally, it would have been that Marcus would have had no fear of working with him, knowing that he posed no threat to him, where other operatives may have been apprehensive. I think they would have made a rather effective team

Last edited by marcusdkane; 02-27-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 128
02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
Great work on yours! Shame about Enala, but I guess that's better than being a Borg drone
Thanks! And yeah... She didn't even understand how bad being a drone is, or have any frame of reference to see the Collective as anything but normal. She'd just started discovering a world she'd never imagined before and, when she realized that it was about to be destroyed, used her last spark of individuality to save it. It was such a simple, selfless act, and one that's going to stay with me for awhile...

I blame the mods for coming up with this topic!

I just read your story and don't worry - it may be long, but it moves very quickly. The dialogue flows very well, the opening battle's very true to the feel of the game (Bryan seems a tad on the crazy-reckless side, but he did admit that!) and I love how it took the setup premise and used it as the catalyst for a very different kind of story - very well done! The Trill bond's different than the way it usually works, but you covered the reason for the difference well in the epilogue, and it's something that's always been up to each episode writer (usually it's treated like a new, composite personality, but there have been episodes where the symbiont seemed to be possessing the host and others where the host seemed to be in complete control). And it's definitely something that you'd expect to differ for each bonding depending on the personalities involved, something the epilogue touches on. The only thing I'd add is maybe a line or two establishing the recovered drone as someone who'd only been recently assimilated, to smooth over her transition to the crew.

Last edited by sparklysoldier; 02-27-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Rihannsu
# 129
02-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
(...snip)
Sounds like a good plan. And, yeah, that's kind of how Bryan is. He's a bit reckless, but he knows his limits, and that of his ship and crew. I guess the best way to describe it would be that he's crazy enough to be dangerous, but smart enough to know when to back off. And as I previously said to marcus, I will try to add some subtle changes to her personality, but to a lesser extent than we see some other Trill. (not trying to sound like a jerk there, just can't think of any other way of putting it)

At any rate, one more thing I've forgotten to explain until now, my story has all of the Athena's standard Security officers being replaced by MACO troops, primarily because of the fact that the ship is on the front line of just about any and every major conflict.

EDIT: Just noticed something: A fair portion of the main (or former main) characters for the LC's I've seen so far have been "Superhuman" in some way or another. Not saying that's a bad thing, as it certainly makes for some interesting stories. Just pointing something out. Bryan, on the other hand , is really just an average guy. About the only thing he has is the fact that he's quite tactically savvy. Again, not saying that superhuman is bad, just noticing a fact...I should probably stop while I still have a head
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet

Last edited by ironphoenix113; 02-27-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Ensign
# 130
02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Thank you kindly :p. Osroe is a fun perspective to write from - I'm steadily getting a feel for my characters and what their personalities are going to be. I rather wanted to avoid the trope of "here's something WORSE than the horrible monster!", and my giggly, girly, huggy Trill seemed the perfect perspective to write from.

Y'alls are doing great work out there. @superhombre777, I rather enjoyed your story - I like the interplay between your characters, specifically Hillel as a contentious and incredulous sort of person. It really gave the story depth.