Lt. Commander
# 11
02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
I'd be totally accepting of friendly, 'we come in peace' aliens once that was proven they were friendly without a doubt.

Honestly, to me, the real problems would probably come from two areas:

Religious extremists

Espionage
Well, I guess the one way they could prove it is by doing what they said....mmet with everyone or no one....and not do anything that would be seen as invading. Funny how people would have a hard time taking them at their word while believing humans would be capable of being so honest and virtous in the "Is star trek possible" thread. (I don't buy that for a second about humans, just so you know.)

I'd assume that the aliens would have enough sense to take safeguards from espionage, and if they have technology that can get from their planet to here I don't think we'd be able to actually do espionage on them in the first place. They'd have to be a few hundred years ahead of us in tech at least.

But you're right, religious extremists would go nuts. We'd probably have to barricade off all of the red states for awhile. I think just as many people would riot against fearful religious zealots. Why trun down a huge step in science and knowledge about the universe because it makes a bunch of yahoos doubt their beliefs?

Quote:
Religious extremists would be obvious, the ones who would declare the aliens 'the spawn from Hell' and such things. They'd do everything in their power to demonize the aliens and use scare tactics to keep people on their side, and they'd be the ones who'd want the aliens to leave.

Whether or not you agree with Carl Sagan, the book/movie Contact is what I feel, a good example at how it could very realistically happen. Maybe it is a bit more on the extreme end of the spectrum, but I majorly doubt that really really religious types would be...nice about it, and many people would be scared and unsure about their place in the universe, and thus flock to such groups due to those emotions.

Espionage. This would come from two groups:

A. Big business who would see their various power-bases starting to break down, and they'd do everything in their power to sabotage the aliens.

B. Other governments. Namely they would try and 'friendly up' to the aliens, in order to gain an advantage over other governments, and possibly try to out-right steal technology for their country and their country only.

If aliens did exist, and appeared today, I'd hope that maybe any governments who KNEW this would come clean about it.
If I were the aliens I would make sure the entire world could get the message so no one government could lie or try to twist the truth. How effective that would be, I don't know. Heck, I'd even make usre the formula for "renewable clean energy" was put on the internet just to screw over the oil tycoons. Of course, I'm assuming they've been monitoring us for awhile.

Of course I meant for this scenario to be as I said...the aliens are sincerely friendly with no hidden agenda. (well, if they were evil, realistically we couldn't stop them anyway. Its like if the Borg suddenly showed up tomorrow. Its not like we could do anything but be assimilated.)

...and what if they did want something, but it was something really simple? Like they said "we want tomatoes. On our world tomatoes are powerful medicine. Could you spare a few tomato plants...we can grow them on our own planet but we'd like a few tons of the plants and some seeds too. In exchange we'll help you out with the fuel problem.".

(I just got an image of the religious extremists burning piles of spaghetti sauce)
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
02-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I think that if some alien race were to explore our solar system they would first send some kind of probe/satellite A.I. to scan for life and resources. Then they would also be able to learn everything about the human race without even getting close to earth by translate all our own satellite transmissions.

They would then do one of following things:

If friendly they would recognize that we are not and leave us be.

If "friendly" and more like us and in need of natural resources they would maybe make contact, but probably send more A.I.

If not at all friendly we would probably barely have time to see them coming before it's over.

Ofcourse if I could choose they would all look like T'Pol and Anna from V.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrona View Post
I think that if some alien race were to explore our solar system they would first send some kind of probe/satellite A.I. to scan for life and resources. Then they would also be able to learn everything about the human race without even getting close to earth by trasnlate all our own satellite transmissions.

They would then do one of following things:

If friendly they would recognize that we are not and leave us be.

If "friendly" and more like us and in need of natural resources they would maybe make contact, but probably send more A.I.

If not at all friendly we would probably barely have time to see them coming before it's over.

Ofcourse if I could choose they would all look like T'Pol and Anna from V.
Well, lets say as in my last post, they want something simple. For simplicity's sake lets say its tomatoes. (because I really like tomatoes). They don't have any and when they scanned our planet they found out that tomatoes contain something they need to make some kind of medicine for their planet....and they have a code of paying for things that forbids them to just take tomatoes.

far fetched? Yep. Alien? Hell yes....but they're aliens. They have different motivations so even if we can't imagine that they'd come here to ask for tomatoes its very important to them. I'd believe that before I'd believe half of the things about "future earth" in Star Trek.

I don't think hostile aliens would feel the need to talk to us at all. They could just come and take stuff, and its not like we could stop them.

...and maybe the aliens are feeling "Wow, we thought we were alone in the universe! These guys are kinda backwards, wierd looking and they smell bad when they sweat, but what the hell, lets open diplomatic relations" because they are as interested in us as we would be about them. Maybe they're really as enlightened as we like to think we are.

While I don't think the stuff in Trek about utopian humanity for a hot second, I have hope that if we met friendly aliens it'd cut out the ethnic/racist nonsense down here. We'd have to face the fact that we're all human.

It would really freak people out if the aliens we're all asian, arabic and black. Oh boy, I'd risk the riots just to see peoples heads explode.
Captain
# 14
02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
I think that organized religions may have an issue with them, as it would mess with their hold on people, however, I think that truly religious people, would accept them unconditionally... The Qur'an states that Allah is the Lord of the worlds. WorldS. Plural. Genesis says that God created the heavens and the Earth and saw that it was good (like a hobby). A model maker does not make one model, then just sit back and think 'job well done...', they build another, and another, and another... If God created the Earth, it is only logical that, like the Qur'an states, He created other world's too... I think an educated religious scholar would accept that, but a religious organization, would feel threatened that someone might disrupt their monopoly on The Meaning of the Universe...

I don't think Humanity is stable enough yet to deal with Alien visitors, no matter how peaceful their intentions. I suspect what would happen, would be like what went down in FM Busby's Star Rebel series:
Aliens land on Earth.
Human scientists realize Aliens don't have FTL communications...
Human millitary gasses Aliens and then reverse engineers their technology.
Human 'StarFleet' goes into space and colonizes planets but only in the opposite direction from whence the Aliens came, and are constantly 'looking over their shoulder' as a result...
More Aliens arrive to see what happened to the first lot, and BANG,interplanetary war which will make WWs I and II look like paintball sessions...

Last edited by marcusdkane; 02-27-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Every time I see people talking about sexy aliens I just have to shake my head. I mean, you can get terminal diseases from relations with a human partner. How much worse would it be with someone crawling with alien bacteria to which we have no natural immunities?

In fact, that would be my biggest concern. Disease would almost certainly hit the planet on an unprecedented, pandemic level. Even if both sides took all possible precautions, the danger of contamination would always exist. There are other dangers, sure. Political instability, culture shock, communication mishaps leading to violence, advanced technology finding its way into the wrong hands... but disease would be the biggest problem by far.

Not to mention, odds are that any aliens out there won't be humanoid, nor will the communicate vocally, nor will they have a moral code that resembles our own, nor will they even see the same colours as us. First contact would mess us up in a big way, and we'd do the same to it.
Commander
# 16
02-27-2013, 07:15 PM
do you really want to know what would happen...all kidding aside? watch the beginning of the star trek:enterprise episode "in a mirror, darkly" and you'll have your answer. sad but true, it's EXACTLY what would happen.
There's no dork like an old school dork. You just can't beat experience.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooldork View Post
do you really want to know what would happen...all kidding aside? watch the beginning of the star trek:enterprise episode "in a mirror, darkly" and you'll have your answer. sad but true, it's EXACTLY what would happen.
I doubt that...first if the aliens landed today I'd think they'd have developed the notion of body armor. I mean, WE have that. You'd think they'd be a bit more careful.

If they landed in some out of the way place like "In a mirror darkly" (but sans the post nuke stuff, unless nukes start landing tonight) any humans there would more likely soil themselves, pass out or run like Jesse Owens.

Think about it, if you were the alien would you walk out of your ship to greet people you have no ill will against, but are the equivalent of cave men to you? Wouldn't you at least take a precaution against their puny weapons? I sure as hell would.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
Every time I see people talking about sexy aliens I just have to shake my head. I mean, you can get terminal diseases from relations with a human partner. How much worse would it be with someone crawling with alien bacteria to which we have no natural immunities?

In fact, that would be my biggest concern. Disease would almost certainly hit the planet on an unprecedented, pandemic level. Even if both sides took all possible precautions, the danger of contamination would always exist. There are other dangers, sure. Political instability, culture shock, communication mishaps leading to violence, advanced technology finding its way into the wrong hands... but disease would be the biggest problem by far.

Not to mention, odds are that any aliens out there won't be humanoid, nor will the communicate vocally, nor will they have a moral code that resembles our own, nor will they even see the same colours as us. First contact would mess us up in a big way, and we'd do the same to it.
Well if you believe the UFO reports that they aliens are little grey men, they'd be humanoid. But yeah, it is a stretch. But then it would be a bit of a boring thread if I said they were big blobs of greenish blue gelatin that communicate by waving any number of their 28 flippers.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
02-27-2013, 07:25 PM
A lot of fiction depicts aliens invading planet Earth to steal its resources, which I think isn't very realistic.

It takes a lot of energy to lift something out of a planet's gravity well. Look at the rockets NASA uses to put things into space. They have to strap rockets onto rockets, in order to get a shuttle into space. It takes a lot of energy. Having more advanced methods of propulsion doesn't change the amount of energy required. It might make it easier, but it will still be expensive. So I don't think enslaving/wiping out mankind to carry out strip mining projects would be at all realistic.

IMO any advanced alien civilization traveling the stars will be prolific asteroid miners. Asteroids have little to no gravity so there is little energy required to pull resources off of them.
Captain
# 20
02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
How would people react to aliens landing? Like this.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.