Starfleet Veteran
# 21
02-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Actually humanity is not the norm.

Your everyday Alien is likely to have descended from a Velociraptor.

Use that as a basis for their reaction to a typical human reception.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
How would people react to aliens landing? Like this.
We covered that. See post #17.
Captain
# 23
02-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Quote:
How would people react to aliens landing? Like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
Yes one of my favorite scenes.
Given how we would react to any unidentified aircraft entering controlled air space, aliens would have to be fools to attempt a landing unless they were coming armed to the teeth.
I would at least expect them to be smarter than to believe that the same humans that are busy bombing the crap out of each other are going to be nice and friendly to outsiders.
Captain
# 24
02-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Merely posting the video my friend.

Posting links is apparently my job now.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Given how we would react to any unidentified aircraft entering controlled air space, aliens would have to be fools to attempt a landing unless they were coming armed to the teeth.
I would at least expect them to be smarter than to believe that the same humans that are busy bombing the crap out of each other are going to be nice and friendly to outsiders.
Its a good scene and a good episode, but as you say, I'd expect the aliens to not be that freakin' stupid. It'd probably be like "Did that primitive just shoot his puny weapon at our personal super-atomic forcefields? Ha! As if his ridiculous metal projectile could even hope to pierce or bio-regenerative omni silk robes, let alone the forcefield!"

Its actually a bit arrogant to think that aliens attempting contact wouldn't think to protect themselves from anything we might lob at them, especially handguns. Unless they are really stupid aliens...like dumber than pakleds aliens.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Merely posting the video my friend.

No problem. I thought perhaps, you, like me, sometimes skip to the end of threads.

I always wondered even in the movie why the vulcans don't at least have weapons on them. I guess logic didn';t dictate the need to not get your *** shot.
Captain
# 27
02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
We live in the Mirror Universe.

Quote:
No problem. I thought perhaps, you, like me, sometimes skip to the end of threads.

I always wondered even in the movie why the vulcans don't at least have weapons on them. I guess logic didn';t dictate the need to not get your *** shot.
Who says they didn't? They were expecting a peaceful first contact. Maybe.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 28
02-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Well the scene always seemed wrong to me, there should have been a procession of heavily armed guards that marched down the walkway then waited at attention while the officiating Vulcan presents himself. The message would be unmistakable " hi we come in peace but we can and will b..ch-slap you silly if you get rowdy".
Survivor of Romulus
# 29
02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Well, lets say as in my last post, they want something simple. For simplicity's sake lets say its tomatoes. (because I really like tomatoes). They don't have any and when they scanned our planet they found out that tomatoes contain something they need to make some kind of medicine for their planet....and they have a code of paying for things that forbids them to just take tomatoes.

far fetched? Yep. Alien? Hell yes....but they're aliens. They have different motivations so even if we can't imagine that they'd come here to ask for tomatoes its very important to them. I'd believe that before I'd believe half of the things about "future earth" in Star Trek.

I don't think hostile aliens would feel the need to talk to us at all. They could just come and take stuff, and its not like we could stop them.

...and maybe the aliens are feeling "Wow, we thought we were alone in the universe! These guys are kinda backwards, wierd looking and they smell bad when they sweat, but what the hell, lets open diplomatic relations" because they are as interested in us as we would be about them. Maybe they're really as enlightened as we like to think we are.

While I don't think the stuff in Trek about utopian humanity for a hot second, I have hope that if we met friendly aliens it'd cut out the ethnic/racist nonsense down here. We'd have to face the fact that we're all human.

It would really freak people out if the aliens we're all asian, arabic and black. Oh boy, I'd risk the riots just to see peoples heads explode.
Quote:
I try to do my part.
Captain
# 30
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
Every time I see people talking about sexy aliens I just have to shake my head. I mean, you can get terminal diseases from relations with a human partner. How much worse would it be with someone crawling with alien bacteria to which we have no natural immunities?

In fact, that would be my biggest concern. Disease would almost certainly hit the planet on an unprecedented, pandemic level. Even if both sides took all possible precautions, the danger of contamination would always exist. There are other dangers, sure. Political instability, culture shock, communication mishaps leading to violence, advanced technology finding its way into the wrong hands... but disease would be the biggest problem by far.
Actually, in his Sector General stories, James White makes a convincing case that alien bacteria wouldn't even be able to infect us. I mean, you can't get tobacco-leaf mold, and the tobacco plant is far more closely related to you (coming, after all, from the same evolutionary tree) than, say, T'Pol. What are the odds that the alien bacteria would even recognize you as something infectable?

Viruses might be a worry, eventually - but first random mutation would have to hand an alien virus the ability to interface with a terrestrial cell, which seems improbable on the face of it, and would at the very least take so long that we'd likely have gotten the secret of curing Alien Tobacco-Leaf Mold in infected Terrans...

Then again, in his classic essay, "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex", Larry Niven points out the unlikelihood of a human ever getting it on with an alien. Who knows what cues the aliens use for sexual attraction, assuming they experience it at all? Perhaps they require a specific pheromone, which obviously no life form on Earth produces. As Niven put it, "We can speculate that LL smells wrong to Kal-El somehow, more like a Terrestrial monkey than a Kryptonian woman."

(For that matter, as the alien cyborg Mickey Finn pointed out to Mary Callahan in one of Spider Robinson's "Callahan's Place" stories, the sexual organs might not even be compatible. Of course, Mary's reply was, "I can see fingers and a tongue from here - anything else is gravy.")
-------------------------------------------

When I make you breakfast in bed, a simple "thank you" is all I need. Not all this "who are you and how did you get into my house" nonsense.

Last edited by jonsills; 02-27-2013 at 09:07 PM.