Career Officer
# 21
02-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Actually, single births amongst the Ocampans are rare.
The norm is for twins and triplets to be born.

And who says they only have 1 birth per female?
An Ocampan can remain fertile up to 4 years.
That could be 4 seperate children if the Ocampans can regulate a proper birth cycle.
And more children if the births conform to the Ocampan standard.

Kes says something like the first birth is mandatory, because an Ocampan female who has not had at least one child will be incapable of having successive offspring after the first.
They essentially become sterile if they don't have at least one child when the Elogium emerges.

Also, do you want to be the one who tells the Ocampans they're not suitable candidates for Starfleet, simply because their numbers are low?
I don't think Starfleet would discriminate like that or be allowed to!
Captain
# 22
02-23-2013, 04:51 AM
I, for one, don't want Ocampans in the game. I don't want Kazon, Talaxians, Vidiians, Vaadwaur or any other Delta Quadrant species to be in the game. . .not unless the game's boundaries actually extend to the Delta Quadrant.

Having the friggin Hirogen in the game is seriously pushing it (the whole Romulan/Hirogen thing never made much sense to me). No more Delta Quadrant species in the game until the game physically expands to include parts of the Delta Quadrant.
Career Officer
# 23
02-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Oddly, I had no problems with Hirogen in the game.
Until Cryptic announced they were were most likely revoking Hirogen as playable, I was looking forward to playing as one.
Not sure of the logic there, Romulan faction playable races are limited enough, so let's remove 25% of the options!

While they never specifically talk about the Hirogen drive technology, when Voyager downloaded a Hirogen course history file, it showed the Hirogen vessel had travelled over great distances in a relavitively short time.

So, I'm thinking that Hirogen vessels do have the capability to reach other quadrants if they push their drives hard enough.

Also, it has been established that the Ocampans and the Talaxians are already maintaining a presence in the Alpha Quadrant.
Because there are diplomatic missions relating to negotiating with their governing bodies.
With the advancement of travel technology in Star Trek Online, there are many ways they could have relocated to the Alpha Quadrant.

The first and simplest is they just used the Omega Transwarp Conduit.

Or alteratively, they could have used a Slipstream Drive to reach the Alpha Quadrant.
It is a Delta Quadrant technology, after all.

It was a plot point that the Ocampans could only live in the City provided by the Caretaker for a limited time, because the stored power he transferred to them before his demise had a limited time.
By the time of STO, this power would have been exhausted.

Which would have motivated them to leave, especially since the area of space they lived in wasn't exactly hospitable.

Last edited by tilarta; 02-23-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Career Officer
# 24
02-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
Oddly, I had no problems with Hirogen in the game.
Until Cryptic announced they were were most likely revoking Hirogen as playable, I was looking forward to playing as one.
Not sure of the logic there, Romulan faction playable races are limited enough, so let's remove 25% of the options!
Well if Romulan faction becomes playable it may be that one of the race choices is Hirogen, could explain why.
Captain
# 25
02-27-2013, 06:49 PM
You can more or less make a Hirogen if you pick Alien as your race already, so adding them fully wouldn't bug me.

I fully expect that by Season 9 we will have a wormhole or a transwarp conduit or a dude with a magic carpet that can take us into the Delta Quadrant. It seems only reasonable to go that direction at some point.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Rihannsu
# 26
02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcastleton View Post
Well if Romulan faction becomes playable it may be that one of the race choices is Hirogen, could explain why.
It would also neatly explain why you can't make proper Hirogen in the alien race. Those appearance options are reserved for Hirogen chars only.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 27
02-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
I'm all for more races and customisation for both factions in-game.

You might have noticed this already, but there is an Ocampan NPC at Earth Space Dock - Linnea, the secretary to Admiral Quinn.
Note that Linnea is also wearing the Veteran Uniform. Assuming she's about 1 or 2 years old, that's an amazing rate of progress through the ranks.

Then again, she's stuck working a desk job for the least useful flag officer in Starfleet. Even Admiral T'nae has done more.
Captain
# 28
02-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Maybe she's one o' them Entertainment Holograms the Klingon missions spit out now and again. That would explain why the Admiral never leaves his office yet doesn't get any work done.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Rihannsu
# 29
02-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Note that Linnea is also wearing the Veteran Uniform. Assuming she's about 1 or 2 years old, that's an amazing rate of progress through the ranks.

Then again, she's stuck working a desk job for the least useful flag officer in Starfleet. Even Admiral T'nae has done more.
huh? Linnea's not a child. Or did you mean that she had been in Starfleet for 1-2 years?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 30
02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
huh? Linnea's not a child. Or did you mean that she had been in Starfleet for 1-2 years?
According to Memory Alpha, Ocampans reach the equivalent maturity of a young adult one year after birth. So it is perfectly possible for her to be technically two to three years of ages by the time we meet her in-game as Quinn's secretary.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots