Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 203
# 11
02-28-2013, 12:18 AM
They can make lock boxes and make stuff for the C-Store, they can have their cake and eat it too....so why won't they? Lock boxes aren't going anywhere, it's too big a cash cow for them.
____

The o3 - Killed you good
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,750
# 12
02-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
However, Cryptic's current business model has to change if they want longevity with this game.
I understand your disappointment and rage at Cryptic. I really do. But from their point of view what they're doing is great for their bottom line now, and will likely be so in the future. The real problem with their business model isn't the longevity of the game, its the longevity of its players! Player churn feels like its up,and these new players have not been witness to the slow demise of the game they loved, so for them everything is ok. The only ones that come out loosing are the long term players.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,750
# 13
02-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellabor View Post
They can make lock boxes and make stuff for the C-Store, they can have their cake and eat it too....so why won't they? Lock boxes aren't going anywhere, it's too big a cash cow for them.
There are many possible reasons actually. They could be keeping the C-store empty of new releases for looooong periods of time to make people anxious to spend on whateer they choose. Or it could simply be a case of having most of the devs "temporarily" reassigned to NWO to get it out the door.

"Separate teams" you say? When CO was still fresh and new, barely off its own launch, with a ton of needed fixes it was all but abandoned to get STO finished in time. CO never did recover from being abandoned during that crucial time. Ask anyone that played CO in those days. So it would not surprise me at all if that's been the reason why both STO and CO have had so few releases. Think about it, Cryptic's next "BIG THING" is NWO, they need to make it so amazing and eye catching that people will be willing to overlook all the negative comments actual Cryptic players tend to fill comment sections with.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,112
# 14
02-28-2013, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
As a result, the Federation and Klingon sides have become virtually indistinguishable from each other, taking away the uniqueness of both factions. Unfortunatly, the leaking of consoles of each vessel from the "other side" via the lockbox has not helped this issue either.
Sadly correct .

Quote:
This has to stop because if it doesn't, Cryptic will very soon run out of ships that they can exploit.
Ah , but we're nearly there , both on the Fed side and the KDF .
So very soon we will start looking at a new combination , one which will consist of 'other factions' and (hold on to your seats) -- Cryptic originals .

If we look at Gecko's answer to "Cryptic originals" , this means 2409 versions of a Defiant , MVAM , others .
To some this will look as buying the same ship again .
Others will see it as "new pretty , moar power , woohoo !" .

At any rate , we're coming to a cross road where 'classic' ships -- the main income of Cryptic , are exhausted .

I'm curious to see their reaction ... and the c-store/lockbox market's reaction to their reaction .
"We're not mad at Angry Birds, and we're not trying to defend the universe from Angry Birds. Although you might want to consider defending yourself from Angry Birds. If you aren't paying for the app, you aren't a customer, you're the product ."

- former CIA, NSA chief Michael Hayden -- your guide to F2P ...
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,963
# 15
02-28-2013, 02:39 AM
I was sitting outside DS9 the other day and I took a look around and there was all manner of ships there, and i thought it was great.

this is an MMO, and one factor of MMO's is having your own character and looking different to the guy sitting next to you. there was so much variety on display, and im sure people take enjoyment out of flying these lock box ships.

i would prefer that they have these all in their respective factions but thats not very practical or sustainable, so ill take this as an alternative option.

does it blur the line between KDF and Fed faction? yes it probably does. Do i think that's a problem? no not really. What's the big deal what other people do? if you want to fly your KDF ship, then fly it, if you want to fly your Fed ship then do so.

Are their balance issues? yes, and they need to be addressed here and there, but i dont have a huge problem with some ships being more powerful than others in a game where you have to pay money.

Can they keep making lock boxes forever? no, probably not but then they come up with something else to do.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,183
# 16
02-28-2013, 03:13 AM
they'll come up with new factions.

imagine all the new and shiny Romulan, Cardassian, Vorta, Ferengi ships.

Even perhaps Suliban..

With a little creativity, there are more than enough models in the series to sustain lockbox ships AND C-store unlocks for another 3 years.

Also, they could introduce new lvling content to 60, a new rank, and a new class of rank 6 ships and fleet ships. Only mildly stronger - one universal console slot and change the ensign to an universal lt. BOFF slot, or 2 more DOFF slots..
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 961
# 17
02-28-2013, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaths1 View Post
With a little creativity, there are more than enough models in the series to sustain lockbox ships AND C-store unlocks for another 3 years.
The question then is desirability. With few exceptions, and assuming they don't put out "boss" ships like Borg Cubes or whatever, the Alien ships have been poor sellers. I'd bet some folks only bought the Atro because it's the only Fed carrier, and barely anyone bought the various KDF C-store ships.

And putting aside the fact that Forums are hardly the true indicator of player sentiment, one does have to wonder what happens when Cryptic runs out of canonical "Starfleet" ships and has to start relying on original designs.

Personally I love them, but some will disagree with me.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,183
# 18
02-28-2013, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
The question then is desirability. With few exceptions, and assuming they don't put out "boss" ships like Borg Cubes or whatever, the Alien ships have been poor sellers.
where do you have this info from?

on the FED side, i have the Andorian pack & the Vulcan ship (which has no bridge and is just poor in useability) - given i am not ever playing my feds..

on the KDF side i have more C-store unlocks then i need, just for the consoles or design. For example the Nausicaan designs ROCK!

there also is roleplaying, and i am really looking forward to new factions and all the ships that come with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
And putting aside the fact that Forums are hardly the true indicator of player sentiment, ..
- i also do not agree with this statement. on the contrary. it is a perfect mix to mirror the discussions in the Zone chat. Most of the time.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 547
# 19
02-28-2013, 04:57 AM
I understand where the OP is coming from regarding the non-faction specific ships. Personally however I love them, within reason of course. I own the Galor, D'Kora and Orb Weaver and have a great time when I do take them out for a spin so to speak. I think the biggest problem with lock box ships is the JHAS has been so OP for so long it makes a mockery of all the others. The Dreadnought for example seems to be relatively well balanced (correct me if I'm wrong here, only seen in PvE) so if they just toned down the JHAS things wouldn't be so bad. Only issue being I can't see them doing it in fear of outrage from the community.

I only hope that Cryptic do keep some sort of perspective on the ships they bring in to the game, the Wells ships from 500 years in the future was starting to stretch plausibility a little too far. Surely, if technology like that was brought back to the 2400's folks from the future would come back and reclaim it to stop contamination of the timeline!?!

Also... no Borg ships please :p
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 44
# 20
02-28-2013, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
I was sitting outside DS9 the other day and I took a look around and there was all manner of ships there, and i thought it was great.

this is an MMO, and one factor of MMO's is having your own character and looking different to the guy sitting next to you. there was so much variety on display, and im sure people take enjoyment out of flying these lock box ships.
This. My Dervish is actually growing on me, mostly because it seems everyone else is using the Maelstrom skin. Some times you just want to be unique.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:42 PM.