Captain
# 1611
02-27-2013, 08:20 AM
maybe it would be good to restrict Elite STFs to people with 1 tier of Omega rep

it's not like there is a shortage of the regular STFs
Starfleet Veteran
# 1612
02-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
maybe it would be good to restrict Elite STFs to people with 1 tier of Omega rep

Won't work. All levels and tiers are polluted with people who haven't a clue what's going on in any STF. All you need to do is join a couple to see that this is true. Even the elite STF channels are full of clueless individuals.

Today was a good example in a CSN.

I pugged in.

Said 'hi' as usual.

One person says 'lets do this.'

I fly off to the right cube and start on the nodes.

Someone starts on the bops spawning.

I kill four of the nodes before anyone starts helping.

I look up and see someone firing away at the cube with rainbow/technicolor beams.

I say, shoot the nodes first.

No luck, he keeps shooting.

I get the cube killed after Mister Rainbow goes boom.

I fly off to the middle cube.

Four ships are now at the Kang trying to kill a bop.

I start on the nodes and type, 'Four ships at the Kang? Oh Goody.'

I kill four nodes before Mister Rainbow shows up again shooting at the cube.

I type again, 'Shoot the nodes first.'

No luck.

I finish off the cube after Mister Rainbow goes boom.

I fly to cube three and start on the nodes.

Four ships are now at the Kang.

I kill 4 nodes before Mister Rainbow finally shows up and starts on the cube.

I type, 'Shoot the nodes first.'

No luck.

I finish off the cube after Mister Rainbow goes boom.

Moral of the story here.....

All four of the other ships had accolade points of 7000 or better. This means they hade been playing STO for at least three weeks. It could also mean they are experienced. But the proof is in the pudding that they didn't have a clue of how to do a simple normal STF.

Captain
# 1613
02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post

That wouldn't make any difference. Tactics commonly used in non-elite STFs (e.g. KASn: finish off one side, then move to the next, CSn: blow up generators & cube, then move to the next one, ISn: blow up generators and have 1-2 people intercept probes etc...) are usually what will make you fail the optional on Elite.

Also I'd think that playing 2 STFs on non-elite, which will reward the marks needed to get to Tier 1, won't make any player understand the tactics used in eSTFs any better.
Captain
# 1614
02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
My best was today vortex on elite completed within ten mins

Worse was worthy of the dumbest people ever award. .

Vortex elite me one side doing probes etc etc 4 yes 4 the other side so after I go boom a couple of times I lost it and shouted in chat to get some help and did I no not until they failed the optional which ok meh not bothered too much about that but it took 45mins to finish coz they obviously loved the I in team
Captain
# 1615
02-27-2013, 06:03 PM
I don't respond to chat unless provoked.

I have done these missions more times than I care to count. I know how to do them, and I know what I am doing. If you don't like what or how I do it I no longer care. If you are doing something wrong or are flying a failboat once again I do not care (I will carry you typically).

In my Tac Defiant I like to destroy the spheres as they spawn on the first side in ISE. Blew a gen early and had someone flip out in chat. Mind you by early I dropped one to 10%, blew one, and on the way past helped drop the other to low 30s. Needless to say I told him to be silent and proceeded to kill all the spawns. Then had to turn around and kill the generator.

My personal experience is thus, if you are good enough that you feel the right to nit pick how others fly then you are good enough to carry a bad PuG to victory anyway. The vast majority of the time those who flip out or begin to shout orders are flying failboat cruisers FaWing at everything with tetryons and dealing pathetic damage while being unable to tank a standard cube. Your mileage may vary though.
Get yer Fleet Gear here!
Military 5 / Engineering 4 / Science 4
Starbase 5 / Embassy 3 / Mine 3 / Spire 3
Diplomacy 3 / Recruit 3 / Trade 3 / Development 3 / Research 3 / Operations 3
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16435781
Captain
# 1616
02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s1701 View Post

Vortex elite me one side doing probes etc etc 4 yes 4 the other side so after I go boom a couple of times I lost it and shouted in chat to get some help and did I no not until they failed the optional which ok meh not bothered too much about that but it took 45mins to finish coz they obviously loved the I in team
4 on one side and one on the other doing probe duty is a perfectly legit tactic. Of course, they should have adapted to cover you once they saw you couldn't handle it, but seriously, most times I do KASE, one guy is enough to cover probes while the others work the other side over. You may have some problems with your build.
A Gensokyoan Mech-piloting Starship Admiral Rodent.
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
*nomnomnibblemunchgnawgnaw*
Captain
# 1617
02-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s1701 View Post

If you were doing probe duty how in the world did you go "Boom" a couple of times?? this makes no sense. You know you might have been the problem - no-one doing probe duty should be going boom unless

a) you spawned a cube
B) you were in range of the gate
c)they spawned cubes and let them wander across the map

Last edited by born2bwild1; 02-27-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 1618
02-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Quote:
My personal experience is thus, if you are good enough that you feel the right to nit pick how others fly then you are good enough to carry a bad PuG to victory anyway.
I like that one, very true.

Last night was....strange. With my main toon, I did 3 eSTFs in a roll, all completed with good times (meaning at least 6 minutes left on the timer) - I had a cooldown of 32 minutes left so I switched to my alt (which is at T3 Omega and T2 Rommy rep). I queued for Azura nebula Rescue, I see a timer and I accept the mission......and I warp out in HSN - really!? Anyway, I went through it. After that I actually did an ANR and then queued for ISE, which was a complete fail, but we somehow completed it without turning it into the 100 years war.
Then I queued for KASE. As I mentioned on the last page, I experience a pure hatred toward the players spawning a cube and letting it wander untouched. And yeah, it happened again!
I assumed left probe duty* and started doing my routine. As I've mentioned before, I tend to pay great attention on what the other teammates are doing....or not doing. I see we're 3 on the left, the other 2 are on the right. The two on my side spawn a cube (I spawn mine after I clear the second spawn of probes) and ignore it completely....meanwhile I can see the cube moving toward me. I know I can kill it if I have to, but I'm not very confident in my ship without SSR and MACO shield. (yes, I can't carry very well with this toon...yet)
At that point I wrote "Aren't you going to kill the cube?" - seconds later the two heroes pay attention and......go puf! It turned out I had to kill it anyway. At that point I didn't care about letting probes through the portal (although i did not, but the teammates on the other side did) - we weren't going to make the optional anyway. 25 minutes later, we cleared the mission and went home.

All this made me think, that there is some kind of grouping together less experienced players, because this wasn't the first time that I see a huge difference in the level of player I'm grouped in on my main and on my alt.

*Probe duty in my vocabulary means killing the cube, the nanites and transformer, while waiting for the probes next spawn.

Last edited by satanailofhwbg; 02-28-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Captain
# 1619
02-28-2013, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
I don't respond to chat unless provoked.

I have done these missions more times than I care to count. I know how to do them, and I know what I am doing. If you don't like what or how I do it I no longer care. If you are doing something wrong or are flying a failboat once again I do not care (I will carry you typically).

In my Tac Defiant I like to destroy the spheres as they spawn on the first side in ISE. Blew a gen early and had someone flip out in chat. Mind you by early I dropped one to 10%, blew one, and on the way past helped drop the other to low 30s. Needless to say I told him to be silent and proceeded to kill all the spawns. Then had to turn around and kill the generator.

My personal experience is thus, if you are good enough that you feel the right to nit pick how others fly then you are good enough to carry a bad PuG to victory anyway. The vast majority of the time those who flip out or begin to shout orders are flying failboat cruisers FaWing at everything with tetryons and dealing pathetic damage while being unable to tank a standard cube. Your mileage may vary though.
true dat. I tend to ignore chat in pugs, just because I concentrate on my game, as I am doing loads of micromanaging in my vesta to maximize effectiveness, and I do not have time to explain to them, I know what I am doing (well, I did yell on teamspeak in my previous fleet to some people, when they were totally stupid, and started to question me, but it only resulted me, losing some optimal approach angles)
Career Officer
# 1620
02-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdzso0 View Post
HSE is not hard, I never understood the fear of it. I mean you literally do not even need planning there, just pure dps. the only planning it needs, is to define where you approach the hoard of cubes, and pretty much that is it
I don't have a problem with succeeding, but there's a huge difference in duration depending on if people know what they're doing or not. It's hard to get survival optional objectives if you have weaksauce members in your PUG, and hard to get the initial duration optional objective if the group lacks DPS.

I find it considerably more tolerable with folks I know rather than PUGs.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk