Ensign
# 141
02-28-2013, 04:36 AM
I think it all comes down to one problem. As of now we are missing an infinite, cheap, clean energy source provided to everyone on the planet for free.
if we manage to get that, everything is possible.
Career Officer
# 142
02-28-2013, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
Thats hollywood. Whenever I hear about a movie made from a book I cringe if I've read the book and liked it...because I know the movie is most likely going to stink.
Doesn't just apply to books - look at the likes of Titanic and Pearl Harbor. Both movies which ignored established history in favour of telling a cliche love story that's basically been done hundreds of times before. I, personally, find Titanic particularly offensive since it depicts some of the Titanic's crew as being snivling cowards, or evil, when history records quite the oposite of those people.

And both absolutely suck (in my opinion).

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Lt. Commander
# 143
02-28-2013, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Doesn't just apply to books - look at the likes of Titanic and Pearl Harbor. Both movies which ignored established history in favour of telling a cliche love story that's basically been done hundreds of times before. I, personally, find Titanic particularly offensive since it depicts some of the Titanic's crew as being snivling cowards, or evil, when history records quite the oposite of those people.

And both absolutely suck (in my opinion).
There was a movie I saw about the Enigma Code machine where a team of American soldiers captured it in WWII. It was so historically inaccurate I remember being very annoyed. I can't even remember the name of the flick.

Things like that bother me also, because kids probably think thats actually what happened, rather than the truth. I wouldn't be surprised if some people really believe Abraham Lincoln was a vampire hunter.
Ensign
# 144
02-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
If they have jobs they like, they will.

Name something you enjoy doing. Chances are there's a workplace equivalent (or close) somewhere. So you can enjoy your job, not have to worry about supporting yourself, and be satisfied that you're doing your part in keeping humanity alive and peaceful.
I enjoy watching TV with ma hands in ma pants. Where can I apply for a job?
Lt. Commander
# 145
02-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvirith1 View Post
I enjoy watching TV with ma hands in ma pants. Where can I apply for a job?
Wait until the 24th century...then it'll be everybody's job.
Career Officer
# 146
02-28-2013, 07:42 AM
This is an interesting topic. I would highly recommend checking out the series, Sci Fi Science: Physics of the Impossible hosted by Dr. Michio Kaku (theoretical physicist).

He looks at a lot of the topics discussed here ("warp" drive / FTL travel, invisibility, anti-matter etc.)

I have more queries on how they handle the time dilation issues more than anything.

On a side note, what we also have to remember is that our understanding of physics is not complete. We don't have a unified theory and much of what happens in the universe is still a mystery. As we learn and discover more, new laws are written and existing laws amended. This could open up a lot of possibilities in the future or perhaps none at all.

For some cool YouTube channels on physics, check out the following
Veritasium
Minute Physics
Vsauce
Captain
# 147
02-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvirith1 View Post
I think it all comes down to one problem. As of now we are missing an infinite, cheap, clean energy source provided to everyone on the planet for free.
if we manage to get that, everything is possible.
Cold Fusion looks promising. If it ends up working, it would provide a much cheaper (and safer) alternative to the current energy sources.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 148
03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
There is something called the EMdrive that looks interesting, it is also on BTE website.