Commander
# 21
02-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Not exactly what you want to hear, I'm sure, but I always thought that the spinal lance should have been a standard, integrated weapon with a 10-25 degree firing arc, 15km range, long cooldown, short firing cycle, and high drain- something like a torpedo energy weapon.

Having it the way it is seems somewhat like a waste to me.
Captain
# 22
02-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishkin View Post
Not exactly what you want to hear, I'm sure, but I always thought that the spinal lance should have been a standard, integrated weapon with a 10-25 degree firing arc, 15km range, long cooldown, short firing cycle, and high drain- something like a torpedo energy weapon.

Having it the way it is seems somewhat like a waste to me.
Let me guess... you're a tactical officer or an engineer, or a sci who has no idea what he's doing.

Pro Tip: Firing off a Subneucleonic Beam and blasting a downed shield is a great way to ruin someones day.

Honestly though, if I had my druthers, the Spinal Lance would have a 3 degree firing arc, but would have charges that it would gain over time like the Omega Torpedo, allowing you to spread them out, or rapid fire them all in a row.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Commander
# 23
02-27-2013, 09:40 PM
I grabbed the Gal-X last summer and regretted it almost immediately. The Lance definitely could use an accuracy boost moreso than a damage boost, as it is almost guaranteed the second shot will miss, if not both; but when I do catch ships with both shots they are left critical if not popped. I even had a friend suggest that the Lance's energy type should match the majority of the weapons you have equipped, so if you fitted polaron weapons, the Lance would fired a polaron beam instead.

Also, it would be alot more offensively capable if the Lt. Tact and the L-Cmdr. Engi stations were reversed. It's portrayed to be Fed's heavy offensive cruiser, but the Assault and the Heavy Retro do it so much better. As it is now, the Dreadnought is a waste of money and not really worth occupying a ship slot.
Commander
# 24
02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Let me guess... you're a tactical officer or an engineer, or a sci who has no idea what he's doing.
I've never actually flown the Gal-X, so I'm not speaking from experience, just from looking at the specs.
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
02-27-2013, 10:00 PM
It does need something, It's one of the least useful abilitys. the one on the garumba isn't much better.

What if it had the garumbas power drain mechanic?

What if it had 100% accuracy but lowered damage and add some kind of debuff? Like the heavy gravition beam.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Career Officer
# 26
02-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
It does need something, It's one of the least useful abilitys. the one on the garumba isn't much better.

What if it had the garumbas power drain mechanic?

What if it had 100% accuracy but lowered damage and add some kind of debuff? Like the heavy gravition beam.
I like the 100% accuracy idea and perhaps have it's damage reduced by a 3rd with each subsequent burst. So full damage the first burst, 2/3rds damage the second burst and 1/3rd damage the 3rd burst.

By the first burst, it should strip most of the target's shields. The second burst would strip whatever remaining shields and start carving the hull. The third burst would be all hull. Finish her off with a HYT.

Considering how hard it is to get a competant player into your firing arc and be able to maintain that long enough to get the Lance off, I don't think this would be game-breaking at all.
Republic Veteran
# 27
02-28-2013, 01:17 AM
The spinal lance was not some uber beam of death in the show.

I would like to see it changed to a weapon, possibly an Accx4 High DPS Phaser Beam, with a 45 degree arc and standard beam array cooldown time, but not affected by BO, BFAW or Beam Target X.
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
02-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Quote:
I'm going to do a couple of tests in the Advanced combat tracker. 9-10 minute runs of ISE, one will be the cannon/turret build and the other will be a beam bank with BO2 build to compare a BO2 to the spinal lance. I'll post the results below.

Gal-X cannon/turret build.

Gal-X Beam/BO2 build (WIP)
i am still waiting your link for the damage with your beam build, i would like too, to compared the utility of a canon build vs a beam build in the current state of this ship.

i think i already known the answer since your an engi and don't have tactical initiative to virtually transform your 1 canon power into 2, but i alway like comparative number.
Career Officer
# 29
02-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
It just needs its accuracy fixed. That weapon misses like 9/10 times.
Forget that.

Galaxy X Spinal Lance - nothing like what we saw in 'All good things'
Intrepid Ablative Generator - nothing like what we saw in 'Endgame'.

But it's probably just as well, as a ship that can one-shot everything, or a ship that can make itself invincible for an indefinite period of time, would make things pretty pointless.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Career Officer
# 30
02-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomicile View Post
Just like most ships, it's only truly effective with a Tac behind it. A Tac Captain can buff that Lance to do around 75k. With an Engineer, the Lance is basically a glorified Pool Noodle.

Engineers are what really need a buff, a complete overhaul, really.

The G-X could use either another Tac Console or LtCm Tac BOFF.

And this as well...
The spinal lance was not some uber beam of death in the show.

I would like to see it changed to a weapon, possibly an Accx4 High DPS Phaser Beam, with a 45 degree arc and standard beam array cooldown time, but not affected by BO, BFAW or Beam Target X.

Agreed. I concur wholeheartedly.

Last edited by chillee; 02-28-2013 at 05:07 PM.