Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 44
# 1 A few foundry questions
02-28-2013, 04:14 AM
I've been playing around with the foundry making my first project and for the most part is seems to be going well (thank you so much KirkFat and Hav for your video tutorials). The main problem I am having right now is I have a ground mission set on a ship (using one of the Generic Ship Interior maps), but every time my away team touch any object they despawn. This can be objects I have placed such as consoles, or the map assets themselves (such as the walls of the corridors). They are removed from my party list but try to respawn a few seconds later only to instantly despawn again. Is this a known issue or is something wrong with my map?

While I'm here there's a few other questions I have:
- Is it possible to link a trigger to a specific point in a branched dialogue? i.e. to have a shield disappear if you pick option B. I know how to work around it using intractable objects instead but would be easier if this was possible.
- Is it possible to make area triggers appear and disappear? I'm mostly wanting this as I want one dialogue to pop up at the end of the map if the player has made decision A earlier, or a second one to pop up if they make decision B. Right now I've managed to get it so that one of two contacts appear, giving different dialogue, but I can't force the dialogue to appear, the player has to decide to talk to one.
- Can you set up a map so that only the player(s) are allowed to spawn with no Boffs? Such as what happens in non-hostile areas such as the spacedock/academy. This is looking ahead to an idea I have for a future map that would be a lot better without Boffs confusing things.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,134
# 2
02-28-2013, 06:30 AM
#1: not sure

#2: move to location triggers do not need to be part of an objective. Also IIRC, you can hide them

#3: it can be done... sorta, but it's very glitchy and hard to reproduce.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,424
# 3
02-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by remairtamec View Post
While I'm here there's a few other questions I have:
- Is it possible to link a trigger to a specific point in a branched dialogue? i.e. to have a shield disappear if you pick option B. I know how to work around it using intractable objects instead but would be easier if this was possible.
It is possible with map dialog boxes. You can use the Dialog Prompt Reached trigger to tie an object's state to a specific dialog box within a dialog tree in a map dialog. Note: this is the only dialog type that this trigger works with. You can't tie a map dialog to the storyboard directly, but you can use an object tied to an objective to also trigger a component complete to activate the map dialog.

Quote:
- Is it possible to make area triggers appear and disappear? I'm mostly wanting this as I want one dialogue to pop up at the end of the map if the player has made decision A earlier, or a second one to pop up if they make decision B. Right now I've managed to get it so that one of two contacts appear, giving different dialogue, but I can't force the dialogue to appear, the player has to decide to talk to one.
Unfortunately, reach markers lack state transitions. What may work for you is the buttons in dialog boxes DO have state transitions. So you have a normal dialog box with two identical looking choices. One is made visible if you choose one thing, the other is made visible if you choose differently. Both outcomes exist in the same dialog tree.

Quote:
- Can you set up a map so that only the player(s) are allowed to spawn with no Boffs? Such as what happens in non-hostile areas such as the spacedock/academy. This is looking ahead to an idea I have for a future map that would be a lot better without Boffs confusing things.
Official answer is no.

The unofficial answer is that we (foundry authors) have discovered a quirk in the way pathing is generated. When pathing is calculated it ignores objects that have triggers attached. The theory is that if you spawn the player on top of a platform that at some point becomes invisible, the pathing will not see the platform and the BOs will drop trhough. It practice though it's incredibly tricky to get to work right and we haven't had the greatest success replicating this result.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 02-28-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
# 4
02-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Quote:
- Is it possible to make area triggers appear and disappear? I'm mostly wanting this as I want one dialogue to pop up at the end of the map if the player has made decision A earlier, or a second one to pop up if they make decision B. Right now I've managed to get it so that one of two contacts appear, giving different dialogue, but I can't force the dialogue to appear, the player has to decide to talk to one.
AFAIK, reach (area) markers (triggers) are always on the map.

If you want to popup different dialogs, use 2 map-popup-dialog-bubbles. both hidden.

If you do option A show map-popup-dialog-bubble A
If you do option B show map-popup-dialog-bubble B

This would happen instantly after making the decision. To avoid this give the map-popup-dialog-bubble 2 triggers. Now you have to fire 1 for the option AND 1 for "end of map"-reached. But they both have to be the same type, or you can not combine them with AND.
(see trigger topic: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=545001)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
# 5
02-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by remairtamec View Post
I've been playing around with the foundry making my first project and for the most part is seems to be going well (thank you so much KirkFat and Hav for your video tutorials). The main problem I am having right now is I have a ground mission set on a ship (using one of the Generic Ship Interior maps), but every time my away team touch any object they despawn. This can be objects I have placed such as consoles, or the map assets themselves (such as the walls of the corridors). They are removed from my party list but try to respawn a few seconds later only to instantly despawn again. Is this a known issue or is something wrong with my map?

While I'm here there's a few other questions I have:
- Is it possible to link a trigger to a specific point in a branched dialogue? i.e. to have a shield disappear if you pick option B. I know how to work around it using intractable objects instead but would be easier if this was possible.
- Is it possible to make area triggers appear and disappear? I'm mostly wanting this as I want one dialogue to pop up at the end of the map if the player has made decision A earlier, or a second one to pop up if they make decision B. Right now I've managed to get it so that one of two contacts appear, giving different dialogue, but I can't force the dialogue to appear, the player has to decide to talk to one.
- Can you set up a map so that only the player(s) are allowed to spawn with no Boffs? Such as what happens in non-hostile areas such as the spacedock/academy. This is looking ahead to an idea I have for a future map that would be a lot better without Boffs confusing things.
It's a known issue with the editor for the BOffs and NPC's to vanish due to pathing issues. The only way to truly test out if there are any pathing errors is by publishing the mission and testing it there.

1. If it's story specific dialogue, then the triggers can only be set to occur at the mission points in between the dialogues (Objective Complete or Objective In Progress). If you're using a pop-up dialogue on the map, then you can set the triggers to occur when a specific dialogue option is chosen/reached.

2. Area triggers can't be set to appear or disappear, but they can be set to multiple objects. For your scenario in particular, I'd say it's a better idea to have the contact appear with a dialogue prompt (Dialog Prompt Reached) using a popup dialogue placed directly on the map. You can have that triggering dialogue appear in between a story dialogue and a mission prompt so that it appears without a break in the story.

If you don't want them to spawn right away, another way is to have both contacts appear on the trigger, but set one to go back to hidden on "Dialog Reached" A and the other on "Dialog Reached" B. That way, the opposing contact will never spawn on the marker.

3. I've been trying to perfect this. As markhawkman said, it's a little buggy.


by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC

Last edited by skydawnknight; 02-28-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 44
# 6
02-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone, they've really helped. Finding I can use AND settings on the triggers will help a great deal (I assumed they were all OR when grouping triggers).

Now back to putting in more Romulans...
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,424
# 7
02-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by remairtamec View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone, they've really helped. Finding I can use AND settings on the triggers will help a great deal (I assumed they were all OR when grouping triggers).

Now back to putting in more Romulans...
Only Component Reached and Dialog Prompt Reached are OR. All the other triggers are AND.

@greendragoon
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 129
# 8
02-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Only Component Reached and Dialog Prompt Reached are OR. All the other triggers are AND.
When did you try that? Last time I actually used dialog prompt reached (around a year ago), it was AND. Then in October, it was bugged. If you clicked on the + sign the whole foundry crashed. I assume they fixed it since.

Can you confirm that, at this moment, if you have say 3 dialog prompt reached assigned to an object, it will be enough to hit 1 assigned prompt to trigger the object change?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,424
# 9
02-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendra3780 View Post
When did you try that? Last time I actually used dialog prompt reached (around a year ago), it was AND. Then in October, it was bugged. If you clicked on the + sign the whole foundry crashed. I assume they fixed it since.

Can you confirm that, at this moment, if you have say 3 dialog prompt reached assigned to an object, it will be enough to hit 1 assigned prompt to trigger the object change?
Apologies, I had it wrong. Objective Complete was the other OR. Plus side, no crashing in my test.

@greendragoon
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:05 PM.