Rihannsu
# 51
02-27-2013, 08:47 PM
My gut reaction is to say that all reviews should require a comment, if for no other reason than to allow the author to reach out to low-raters in an effort to fix the problem (and to better reveal malicious low-raters).

Additionally, I think it might be a good idea to only allow 1-stars on dropped missions. If the player was able to complete the mission, than that mission probably meets the bare minimum technical standards to justify 2 stars... unless there's a Terms of Use violation, in which case it should be reported rather than 1-starred.

That's my two cents at least.

On a related note, as a newly-minuted Foundry author, I would love some more in-depth metrics on average play time, etc, to help me improve the quality of future missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
It should be mandatory to leave a comment on 1star review.
But I suspect most of them are a user problem more than a mission bug. I recently had a 1star review from someone who couldn't find where to start, while it's mentioned under the minimap in the objectives, during NPC conversation, AND in the mission description.
I also saw a 2star review on someone else mission, with a comment like "Good mission !" I suspect this person choose the wrong rating.
Career Officer
# 52
02-28-2013, 12:17 AM
I recall that the OP said this in another thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
I don't feel sorry for people who get negative comments because if they cannot make something to a standard that upholds Star Trek then they shouldn't do it at all.

I'm sorry that he feels that way. Receiving criticism from others can be difficult, but it can be extremely useful in making one a better author. Every author gets negative reviews. I hope Warbird hangs in there and can use those criticisms instead of being discouraged by them. Many people on the internet actually want to help and give good advice, and mistaking that for being elitist would be a shame.
Career Officer
# 53
02-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
I stand by my comments in my review of your mission. They weren't rude or unconstructive; they were merely brief, because there is a character limit on reviews (which I hit), and there were a great many things very wrong with the mission.

As I also stated, the core of the story itself wasn't bad; you have some good ideas there, you just need to craft them into a coherent plot, and you need to spend a LOT more time on polish than you clearly did. If I may suggest:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...r-new-authors/

edit: and as others pointed out, I don't work for Cryptic or PWE. I don't represent them, and they can't give me orders, assignments, or instructions. I just moderate forums for them, for free, in my spare time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I stand by my review. I have used the same process to review missions for years. I played it and evaluated it on its own merits. I look at map design, story flow, dialogue, grammar, spelling, mission construction, polish, and on down the list. When writing a comment, I always start with what I like and then move on to what I feel could use improvement. I believe that a fair and useful review means including both. Fitting both in that tiny space is sometimes a miracle.

I don't always go in-depth for authors, but I'm more than happy to if requested. My reviews are also not final. I am more than happy to revisit the mission and alter my review appropriately should an author revise their mission and request I rerun it.

One thing to keep in mind. I cannot judge author intent, nor their prior experience before creating a mission, when there are no notes on the mission description and I do not know the author personally. When I play a mission, I have only what's right in front of me.

Perhaps this article might help, I wrote it about three years ago when the Foundry was in its infancy. http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/tra...t-bad-reviews/

If you don't know about the Author ask them before you commit a review. Maybe before you commit a review you could pm them...

I don't know about you but when I'm judging someone elses work I like to be in possession of the full facts and if they aren't handed to me on a plate I go looking for them.

Having a fair and useful review also includes being mindful not to negatively affect the content by creating potentially damaging comments be they in the spirit constructive criticism or not. This is something I often fail at myself so I am no saint on this issue either but it is something I have become reflexive about. Perhaps it is something you should consider because the weight of your comments may be more telling than others you should be mindful not of what you intended to write but of how others perceive your words.

Perhaps a way to resolve issues like this is to have the option to leave private feedback to a mailbox.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 02-28-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Captain
# 54
02-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
If you don't know about the Author ask them before you commit a review. Maybe before you commit a review you could pm them...

I don't know about you but when I'm judging someone elses work I like to be in possession of the full facts and if they aren't handed to me on a plate I go looking for them.

Having a fair and useful review also includes being mindful not to negatively affect the content by creating potentially damaging comments be they in the spirit constructive criticism or not. This is something I often fail at myself so I am no saint on this issue either but it is something I have become reflexive about. Perhaps it is something you should consider because the weight of your comments may be more telling than others you should be mindful not of what you intended to write but of how others perceive your words.

Perhaps a way to resolve issues like this is to have the option to leave private feedback to a mailbox.
I just left a 2stars rating on someone else mission. Honestly it was worth 1star, but he put some work in it. I already felt bad for ranking his mission. But if I give high rating to people who deserve it, I need also to give low rating for those who deserve them. That's fair, and honest. Also, my rating mean something, I don't distribute 4stars rating around. But yeah, I don't like it.
If the low rating are private only, what's the point in rating ?

I could have sent a PM to him, but what's the point ? So he could tell me he worked hard ? I already know that. I already feel bad.

If he have questions about the rating, I'll answer him.

BTW, when you release a mission, as with any "public" work, you expose it. It may have negative review. I'm prepared for it each time I release a mission, and hope it won't happen.
Career Officer
# 55
03-01-2013, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
I just left a 2stars rating on someone else mission. Honestly it was worth 1star, but he put some work in it. I already felt bad for ranking his mission. But if I give high rating to people who deserve it, I need also to give low rating for those who deserve them. That's fair, and honest. Also, my rating mean something, I don't distribute 4stars rating around. But yeah, I don't like it.
If the low rating are private only, what's the point in rating ?

I could have sent a PM to him, but what's the point ? So he could tell me he worked hard ? I already know that. I already feel bad.

If he have questions about the rating, I'll answer him.

BTW, when you release a mission, as with any "public" work, you expose it. It may have negative review. I'm prepared for it each time I release a mission, and hope it won't happen.
My point was maybe there should be an option of postponing your review score and allowing you to enter a dialogue with the creator first.

In all honesty though I think an excellent way to not only improve foundry content and help new authors is to have a beta testing pool, whereby new projects don't go into the wild before volunteer episode testers have a chance to look over them. Ultimately of course the pool itself is voluntary an author can chose to make his work completely public at any time. However this kind of pre-public offering would really help new authors out a lot I think and protect them from being exposed, I also think it would be useful for veteran authors who want to be able to get others to playtest their episode before publishing it, this would ensure many more missions reach the wild in a polished state.
Empire Veteran
# 56
03-01-2013, 07:49 AM
1-star reviews I like most:
"There's a bug". I'm sorry, I have no control over the engine.
"What is the starting location?". Well I'm sorry buddy if you can't read.

I don't mind such comments on my old missions because it won't change anything, but on a new mission, it's somewhat annoying since it can kill it for good.

I wish we had a "report an issue" option so that people who can't read/experience a bug can do it without using the rating system. It shouldn't be possible to rate something you didn't complete first. I'm ok with 1-stars "it sucks" as long as it's deserved.

Last edited by diogene0; 03-01-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Rihannsu
# 57
03-01-2013, 09:18 AM
If I see enough stuff that I can't sum up the issues in one sentence I send the author a PM. BUT this is more with technical things and not usually with cases where I dislike the story.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 58
03-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendra3780 View Post

Every 5 minutes? You are doing it wrong. Try like every 1 minute.
LOL so true!
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Lt. Commander
In essence, what the OP is suggesting is that only positive reviews be allowed. It's a laughable idea, but not terribly surprising given the source. Good authors, who have properly proofed their missions, will garner fewer negative reviews. Community reviews are a tool, for both mission authors and the gaming community. Use the comments and ratings to improve your mission construction. I am a regular Foundry player and frequent tipper. I always leave feedbackand it is always fair and constructive. I do this as a service to both the author and the STO community. Good authors and good missions deserve to be rated and rewarded. However, bad authors and bad missions deserve to be identified and constructively critiqued to improve the project as a whole and spare the community from junk.