Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 275
# 41 o.o
02-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
lol yes that must be the answer.

Hey everything you said you wanted can be accomplished with titles.

We should ask for that... I bet they could get it into the next patch.

I am not honestly sure how asking for better gear every time you win makes the game more challenging for you, on every subsequent battle. lol

Sorry but you are sounding more and more like the gear kids that are so fun to beat up in those other games... they rage so wonderfully when they loose.
I understand your argument. You see pvp as some scenario where everyone can frolic together in the grass and pillow fight and laugh together until their parents send the unicorns to pick them up so they can be home in time for dinner.
The reality of pvp is that it is gritty and it is hard. And, player who devotes time and grows in skill deserves something to show for their troubles just as someone who grinds STFs has.
I beleive you do not even pvp and you are just trying to push a pve agenda into a realm that you know is under construction.

Last edited by akurie666; 02-28-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,676
# 42
02-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
I understand your argument. You see pvp as some scenario where everyone can frolic together in the grass and pillow fight and laugh together until their parents send the unicorns to pick them up so they can be home in time for dinner.
The reality of pvp is that it is gritty and it is hard. And, player who devotes time and grows in skill deserves something to show for their troubles just as someone who grinds STFs has.
Sure if you want to kill the games pvp and move on the the next one like a locust I guess.

I am sorry you haven't experienced any good pvp. Perhaps you will at some point. Then again I understand you mainly do ground. (I forgot that existed here).

I gave you the reasons I disagree with you... if you want to now say its all about getting your own little bit of shiny. That's fine.

So what would be wrong with the idea of earning the same level of shiny open to everyone else playing the pve game through Pvp ?
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 275
# 43 o.o
02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Sure if you want to kill the games pvp and move on the the next one like a locust I guess.

I am sorry you haven't experienced any good pvp. Perhaps you will at some point. Then again I understand you mainly do ground. (I forgot that existed here).

I gave you the reasons I disagree with you... if you want to now say its all about getting your own little bit of shiny. That's fine.

So what would be wrong with the idea of earning the same level of shiny open to everyone else playing the pve game through Pvp ?
Beacause that's not the way it works. You don't earn OMEGA gear with Romulan rep and you can't earn pve gear with pvp rep.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,676
# 44
02-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
Beacause that's not the way it works. You don't earn OMEGA gear with Romulan rep and you can't earn pve gear with pvp rep.
Why not ?

How would that be an issue.

Omega and Rom rep already comes into PvP at a detriment to balance.

Why not just increase the way to earn that... it means you wouldn't have to go an PvE anymore to be on level doesn't it ?
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 275
# 45 o.o
02-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Why not ?

How would that be an issue.

Omega and Rom rep already comes into PvP at a detriment to balance.

Why not just increase the way to earn that... it means you wouldn't have to go an PvE anymore to be on level doesn't it ?
It breaks the rules and, frankly, it is a stupid idea. In a time when we need diversity most you suggest new meathods to earn more of the same? Who says the loot has to be stronger? Why do you assume the goal is to obtain OP loot to make pvp easier for the player? The goal is to gain loot, oh yes, and perks. It would function identical to the other 2 rep systems. I, personally, would like to see more items sets and some unique kits with unique visuals. How about some class specific kits or pvp costumes.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,676
# 46
02-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
It breaks the rules and, frankly, it is a stupid idea. In a time when we need diversity most you suggest new meathods to earn more of the same? Who says the loot has to be stronger? Why do you assume the goal is to obtain OP loot to make pvp easier for the player? The goal is to gain loot, oh yes, and perks. It would function identical to the other 2 rep systems. I, personally, would like to see more items sets and some unique kits with unique visuals. How about some class specific kits or pvp costumes.
Costumes...

Ok great idea.

Titles and Costumes earned from PvP... with ZERO stat passives or bonus skills.

I could live with that for sure, and its a nice idea.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 275
# 47
02-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Costumes...

Ok great idea.

Titles and Costumes earned from PvP... with ZERO stat passives or bonus skills.

I could live with that for sure, and its a nice idea.
Your scared of a challenge. What's wrong with new sets if they are scaled in proportion to the other existing sets. Diversity is the spice of life. Both of the existing rep systems have stat increases included in them. The pvp rep should be no different. Do you even pvp?
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,676
# 48
02-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
Your scared of a challenge. What's wrong with new sets if they are scaled in proportion to the other existing sets. Diversity is the spice of life. Both of the existing rep systems have stat increases included in them. The pvp rep should be no different. Do you even pvp?
I have already explained why PvP stats are a bad idea.

No I pvp often... not ground this game is lolground.

Space PvP in this game is the way to go.... and no I don't want any reason to fill the ques with AFKers... or worse teams built to loose with speed (they already exist).

Adding enticing gear will increase both of those things... which kill my fun. If you enjoy blowing up people that don't fight back have fun.

As far as Diversity goes... hey they WILL be adding new rep soon... likely dominion. Which means another month spent likely on DS9 doing freaking PvE so my targets don't have another 2-3 passives I don't have... and more balance breaking gear.

Call me a care bare all you want... but I want my opponents to HIT just as hard as I do... I want them to KNOW when they blow up that I killed them with nothing more then more skil then them. lol
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,015
# 49
03-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
To the victor go the spoils. If I compete and win I expect some reward to attach to my victory. This isn't real life where I can win the respect of another paintball player on the field and have that feeling and new friendship sustain me. This is a video game and I want my loot.
First, paintball isn't real life either, it's a game too. I'd like to point out that there are ways to win the respect of people in this community, and "NO U" posts aren't the way to do it. You really don't know who you've been talking to; if you did you wouldn't toss out things like "Your [sic] scared of a challenge."

Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
Who says the loot has to be stronger? Why do you assume the goal is to obtain OP loot to make pvp easier for the player?
I see, you must be new here. Otherwise you would not need to ask this because you would have lived through power creep. The only direction we've gone has been stronger loot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
What's wrong with new sets if they are scaled in proportion to the other existing sets.
The answer to this is "Because they won't be." Frequently we've had stages of the game with literally 1 gear choice that is better than all others for an extended period of time. I'm pretty sure that "Better than every other option" is the definition of OP. There was once a phrase "3 piece borg and MACO" chanted in every newbie help thread, but that's probably meaningless to you. I know you lolground, so how can you ignore the presence of the cryo pulsewave?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
Your scared of a challenge... Do you even pvp?
Lol... just lol. Do you understand that you're not posting this in a vacuum? This post suggests strongly that your time in STO PvP has been brief. Pretty much the only thing at stake here in the srs bsns world of the meta is the opinion of other forum nerds, and to do that you need to establish the fact that you actually know something about the game and the community. In this case the discussion of a PvP rep system requires knowing about something more than just game mechanics or even MMO PvP culture in general. You need to address how STO players, in a 3 year old game, with it's particular population and culture, could be best served by a system developed by Cryptic. Things that worked in other games won't work here. Things that other companies were willing or capable of doing won't be an option from Cryptic.

I've read through your other threads and you mean well. But most of your replies have dismissed others' suggestions or asked for something which, honestly, isn't a bad or wrong idea on its own merit, but wasn't presented with any allowance for the fact that changes will be made for a 3 year old game. Your ideas are fine for a hypothetical beta where we can ask for the moon and build a community around it. But this is 60 minutes into Field of Dreams and Ray is contemplating putting a tetherball pole in centerfield. AFK'ers are going to come stand around it while Shoeless Joe is trying to make a diving catch for a pop fly. The entire point of my OP was to present ways to allow portions of the STO community to progress through what will likely be a ham-fisted grafting of the existing rep model onto PvP. In your other thread you kept saying to forget about "greed" and dilithium in a PvP revamp. This just isn't going to happen. The best we can hope for is to preserve a space where effort is encouraged. Otherwise as long as there's dil at the end of the match, and there will be, the AFK'ers will come.

Also, we're talking about space. There is nothing else competing with STO in this capacity. Ground has large, well established games out there. STO is not going to compete with them. Space is where dev time and resources should be spent to make it as accessible as possible to new players while remaining competitive. Sad to say, lolground it is and lolground it will likely remain.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 PM.