Captain
# 1641
03-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
Wait, this is about the 4/1 split? That's a perfectly acceptable tactic. Both 4/1 and 3/2 are fine.

3/2 is for when all ships are competent, and can do both sides simultaneously. Since one person will be prioritizing probes, that means the other1-2 people need to be able to tackle a cube by themselves. If that one guy on your side pops because they can't handle a cube in the few seconds it takes you to clear probes, then they should have done 4/1.

4/1 is the easier method, since that puts 3 people on any particular target while the other two have probe duty. It's also the most efficient method if one guy can clear a side in the time it takes the others to clear theirs.

I don't mind either way, if it's 3/2 the gates tend to blow simultaneously, if it's 4/1 I tend to be working on the last transformer when they blow the gateway on the other side.

All of the above is still teamwork. In 4/1, you're holding off the other side so the other team can clear their side.

I will relent to your guys Kirk's awesomeness - if a player is capable of destroying one side without ever letting a probe get through without support - go for it.

I still think if a player can get through 1 side by themselves - then the other 4 must be doing jack all on the other side.
Empire Veteran
# 1642
03-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
This is Cryptic's doing - now with the new reputation system - and starbase system - every assignment costs massive amounts of EC(commodities) to run.
Yep, everybody needs the money, not the item itself. And all the loot is trash anyway - your only hope of anything good is in the final (non-shared) award anyway.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Rihannsu
# 1643
03-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericphail View Post
On another note I've started calling rainbow captains Joseph (after all they are flying the USS Technicolour Beam Boat) in my head, and thought I'd share that silly name with the forum.
what was the name of the person who invented skittles? every time you see a skittle boat, you should use that name as a companion to all the Josephs
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Lt. Commander
# 1644
03-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Someone in our fleet, as an experiment, created a rainbow Sci build that did 7K dps. I'm half tempted to copy it just for the lulz from the <1.5k dps toons I see.
Career Officer
# 1645
03-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Quote:
I still think if a player can get through 1 side by themselves - then the other 4 must be doing jack all on the other side.
I did post a story where I ended up personally taking out 4 cubes and both gateways.

We still got the optional with around 20 seconds to spare.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 1646
03-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
I will take on probes and 1 gen/trans/cube by myself if I am the only one over there - I won't run to the other side of the gate to get the other with 3 probes running - just too risky.

Your last point there is most important - you should read it again - this is not a solo game.

There is zero reason that 1 person in a 5 man team should have to carry 1 side by themselves. That IS a SOLO game!
and by doing such a thing, he helps the others. what you are doing, is pretty much holding yourself back, just because others are bad, and you stay bad, making those who actually try to be good carry you. and this is more true in the light that actually soloing a side, is not even difficult, especially not with the new equipment, that is being offered since s7

Quote:
I will relent to your guys Kirk's awesomeness - if a player is capable of destroying one side without ever letting a probe get through without support - go for it.

and if on the other side players were actually trying, the soloing guy, would have an easier time

Quote:
Originally Posted by moronwmachinegun View Post
Someone in our fleet, as an experiment, created a rainbow Sci build that did 7K dps. I'm half tempted to copy it just for the lulz from the <1.5k dps toons I see.
I feel that on the forums ppl think rainbows are bad because of the mixed weapon types. while that has a basis (rainbows dont deal as much dmg as a single weap type), the difference between a normal build and rainbows is very very little. rainbows are just bad, because ppl who use them, dont know nothing
Captain
# 1647
03-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Strange one on CSE the other night-wound up adding to my "Ignore" list too...

Scenario was Cure Space, it was a PUG, and there I was, the token KDF surrounded by four Feds. One of 'em had the new Andorian ship.

First time since they 'fixed' the Tric mines I've seen a Cube die with probes still in place.

Unfortunately, the cube in question was the centre cube.

My, but that new FedScort IS a powerhouse, and I didn't have to worry about drawing all the aggro the way I seem to NORMALLY draw it in my little Hegh'ta-which meant I could run max power to weps instead of shields+batteries.

It certainly ws nice...

Until..

well, reallly, EVERY TIME that K-ship either went down, or moved off.

THOSE were the times I got all the attention-but it's all good, I was running an Engie so it's all good, and in a BoP you go into STF's expecting to die a few times.

I only died twice.

So we get to the Carrier pretty fast-like I said, those new FedScorts with their five front and five consoles do generate the DPS quite nicely.

and it starts taking a long time to kill that damn carrier.

"Long time" being relative-it didn't take much longer than normal runs, really, but that super'scort's fire had already shown how much faster the run COULD have gone...

It's when it's over that things went BAD.

Now, it's traditionally done that at the end of a match, even in PvP, even if your team gets wiped mercilessly in PvP, to say "Good game."

Not to engage in a screaming fit of recrimination over a successful run, ending with "**** off and die".

Two people turned on the douche-juice at the END of a successful run. They are now on my 'ignore' list.

Mind that there WERE some rookie mistakes made-the Fed with the TBR who triggered it at the wrong time and pushed the carrier out of a nice grav well, thus freeing it's pets to roam a bit, and the whole run was kind of 'engie heavy/sci light' with limited CC options running in that last phase and little to no power-drain aside from mine.

But those mistakes didn't materially affect the outcome-we still pulled optional, I got 11 BNP's off that run, so we MUST have pulled optional.

Folks, it's a game, and CSE/KASE/Hive are all basically scripted content, repeatable, with little to no real significance aside from grinding Dil. and Rep. marks, none of it's worth screaming "**** off and die" at the end of a match.

ESPECIALLY if the run ended WELL. which this one did. Save the passion for something with some real challenge to it, STF's are just grinding and meeting new faces.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

Look into Vanilla PvP if you're tired of the endless pursuit of grind, utterly unbalanced selections of geardo-inspired traits, and generally unbalanced and careless 'development' made mostly to turn this game into a second job.
Lieutenant
# 1648 Yea! Right!
03-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdzso0 View Post
the difference between a normal build and rainbows is very very little.
LOL

I had a bad one today, not for me but for some poor clutzo running rainbows.

Cure Space Normal.

At the start I went over to the right and started shooting nodes. I was followed by two ships. I saw right away that one stopped at the spawning BOPS and started shooting. He was using rainbows. The second ship also stopped and the BOPS died pretty fast.

Then it got bad, for the rainbow guy that is.

He flew around to the back side of the cube where I was. I was being fired on by a BOP or Raptor (not sure which it was). Woopie. I was ignoring it and shooting the nodes. The clutzo started on the BOP. I finished off the nodes and cube with the help of the third ship and flew to the next cube. The third ship followed me while clutzo was still firing on the BOP. We finshed off cube two and I see that clutzo is STILL trying to kill the BOP!

I fly back to help him and see the BOP still has 1/2 it's health. I kill the BOP and heal clutzo and fly to cube 3.

Yea, tell us rainbows are as good as regular beams. LOL

Last edited by nelly1956; 03-01-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 1649
03-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Actually, rainbow builds do about two thirds to half the damage a single energy type build would do, depending on how many tac consoles your ship has.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Rihannsu
# 1650
03-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly1956 View Post
Yea, tell us rainbows are as good as regular beams. LOL
you must not have read his entire post, or you wouldn't have missed this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdzso0 View Post
the difference between a normal build and rainbows is very very little. rainbows are just bad, because ppl who use them, dont know nothing
you got one of those know-nothings, so of course his rainbow was bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic