Captain
# 1 A neat little visuals idea.
02-28-2013, 08:11 AM
A few days back there was a thread which drew in people with perpetual entertainment designs.

one in particular caught my eye

http://www.deningart.com/images/Main...ShipCustom.jpg

I love this concept.

What if we had the ability to display the visuals of our ship weapons?

give every ship an array visual and allow us to display what we see in the pictures, of course to avoid unecessary work, we'd only be allowed to show one type of weapon for each weapon category, so we could only show one of our arrays, one of our cannons, one of our torpedoes, though turrets are debateable.

I would think it look great over the small circles with red dots we currently have.

btw if not for that picture, my brain would have been content with what we have now.

It just keeps popping up as What if!.
Captain
# 2
02-28-2013, 08:20 AM
That is one thing I really liked on Eve, you can see you weapons, and you can see them firing. Like the wing cannon on the Kumari.
I would love to have it on STO, but I'm not sure if they can do it, and how many time they should "waste" on it.
Captain
# 3
02-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
That is one thing I really liked on Eve, you can see you weapons, and you can see them firing. Like the wing cannon on the Kumari.
I would love to have it on STO, but I'm not sure if they can do it, and how many time they should "waste" on it.
well at the very least it would make a great kickstarter project to bring more visual uniqueness to STO.
Career Officer
# 4
02-28-2013, 09:08 AM
I've always thought that the eventual aim of the ship customisation is to have the ships in a more modular fashion.

i.e. In your ship customiser screen you could take a warp nacelle you like the look of, drag it to your ship and there will be a number of points you can attach it to on your ship. Similar to saucer types or deflector arrays.
Career Officer
# 5
02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
while its a novel idea, and looks cool. its also very "un trek". very few of starfleets ships had cannons and large visual weapons systems..

while this will be great for some players, for other players this could be immersion breaking.. its a slippery sloap to add something of this magnitude.. lol...

but for now i would say no thanks..

now the idea of playing around with the deflectors, or mission pods on specific ships would be cool... ive always felt that the nebula class needs the other two pods they were scene with on the show..
Ensign
# 6
02-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Mhhhhh,

I stand critical towards that idea given that we never such a feat in the TV series or the movies.

It actually reminds me more of Freelancer than everything else, where weapons where simply external space guns putted onto the spacecraft.
This goes quite contrary to Star Trek where the various beam arrays or cannons are integral parts of the ships basic design and power structure.
Which might also the reason why we never such casual weapon swaps on the screen.
You'd actually need a full blown spacedock or shipyard for such an operation!!!

In that regard I've come to believe that the Spinal Phaser Gun of the Galaxy Dreadnought is just the tip of the iceberg in that regard.

Not to mention that I don't really think that glowing Phaser Arrays would look good on any Star Trek spacecraft . . .

But that's just my negligible opinion.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=88572087000&dateline=  1361926017

Don't bite the bullet! Say NO to ARC!
Captain
# 7
03-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Perpetual did have some really cool ideas, but man, were their ship designs ugly. I always like the little pop-out weapons DS9 had, and I would really like it if your equipment had a little more effect as to what your ship looked like.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.