Career Officer
# 131
03-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomace View Post
I am tempted to answer you, but I have promised myself not to "rise to the bait"... For the moment.
I challenge you.

Quote:
Edit - I would say though, how many games have we had that were based solely on Romulans?
None, but then we've only had one game (at least, one that I am aware of) that we've been able to play as Klingons.

The fact of the matter is, if my above scenario were to be true, all the old players would look at it a very simple way; the Klingons (however updated their faction may be) are old news. The Romulans would be that breath of fresh air, thus they'd get all the attention. I know people who are playing as FED who are quite happily going to ditch their FED characters for a Romulan one as soon as they're released. If FED players are willing to do that, I bet there are a fair number of KDF players willing to do the same.

Trust me when I say it'll be FED > RSE > KDF.
Career Officer
# 132
03-02-2013, 08:27 AM
i think there is still a chance for the faction.. the timing is good, and with all the excitement by the community about it, it would be devastating to the game to not release it. Even if they were not intending to, they made their own bed.. when you come out and make a big advertisement compaign like they did, and put it behind a curtain, and make it all secrative, and allude to the possibility, you create expectation..

and since they have not come out and flat out said there is no faction coming (even though more than 3/4's of the player base believes, or believed that there is a new faction coming). this has only made people believe in it more..

im partial to a new faction. but i can see the writing on the wall. "if" cryptic does not indeed deliver a ramulan faction, i believe the game will lose alot of players, it will take a hard hit it may have trouble, or not be able to recover from.. again, this is cryptics own doing.. if indeed they had no intention of a faction, they should have clearly and concisely stated that, given the level of excitement and talk about it.. (its really the first time ive seen ingame chatter and the forums all abuzz about the same thing..)

so with what i just stated, i still think the faction is on.. my reasons..

d stahl boasted about his team getting nearly doubled in size, however, the last few content releases have been lackluster.. basically the same old content, different circumstances. ie, we get the doff system, then we get a slightly juiced up doff system, but they call it a fleet advancement system. then they give us the same content, but they tweak it slightly and call it reputation.. all of the fleet mark events are easily made in five minutes on the foundry. and nothing besides new romulas has taken any more thought than figuring out what your gonna wear when you wake up..

so i think he has had the new peeps working on a new faction since november or so.. because the content we are getting, (the quality, quantity, and complexity) is on par with every other release b4 them.. it does not show that a larger crew has been working on them...

that being said, well see what happens.. stahl has his poker face on, and no one can read it.. well see if he makes perhaps the biggest mistake made in the game to date, or comes through with one of the greatest updates this game has seen.. heaven knows this game needs a big kick in the pants..
Career Officer
# 133
03-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Agreed - we're not going to find out anything before the clock reaches zero.

Doubt it'll stop some people from asking though.
lol if cryptic lives up to expectation, that clock will be in the negatives before they actually say anything.. they have never been on time with anything, ever lol... its like that family member who is late for every family function hahaahaha..
Commander
# 134
03-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
I challenge you.

None, but then we've only had one game (at least, one that I am aware of) that we've been able to play as Klingons.

The fact of the matter is, if my above scenario were to be true, all the old players would look at it a very simple way; the Klingons (however updated their faction may be) are old news. The Romulans would be that breath of fresh air, thus they'd get all the attention. I know people who are playing as FED who are quite happily going to ditch their FED characters for a Romulan one as soon as they're released. If FED players are willing to do that, I bet there are a fair number of KDF players willing to do the same.

Trust me when I say it'll be FED > RSE > KDF.
Challenge...Not excepted

However, you do make a good case sir.
From the man himself - "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre"

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under..."Grind is good".
Career Officer
# 135
03-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttenham View Post
i think there is still a chance for the faction.. the timing is good, and with all the excitement by the community about it, it would be devastating to the game to not release it. Even if they were not intending to, they made their own bed.. when you come out and make a big advertisement compaign like they did, and put it behind a curtain, and make it all secrative, and allude to the possibility, you create expectation..
Sure they've created expectations, it doesn't mean they have to live up to them though. They've got into a habit of letting the community down (see KDF). There is a list somewhere (I forget where not) of all the things they've said they were going to do but haven't.

Besides, all the secret stuff is open to interpretation. If they don't deliver on the faction, they can always come back and say it was just a matter of people reading into it wrong, which, as annoying as it'll be, will be the truth.

Quote:
im partial to a new faction. but i can see the writing on the wall. "if" cryptic does not indeed deliver a ramulan faction, i believe the game will lose alot of players, it will take a hard hit it may have trouble, or not be able to recover from.. again, this is cryptics own doing.. if indeed they had no intention of a faction, they should have clearly and concisely stated that, given the level of excitement and talk about it.. (its really the first time ive seen ingame chatter and the forums all abuzz about the same thing..)
Not true. People always say that they'll quit the game if X, Y or Z is not done. X, Y and Z is not done, and most of those people remain with the game. For all it's faults (and there are many) this is still a good game. Most people aren't going to quit on it just because they've not got what they wanted.

Quote:
However, you do make a good case sir.
Captain
# 136
03-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Not true. People always say that they'll quit the game if X, Y or Z is not done. X, Y and Z is not done, and most of those people remain with the game. For all it's faults (and there are many) this is still a good game. Most people aren't going to quit on it just because they've not got what they wanted.

Keep in mind, the game is free now. So quitting is rather pointless. Most people these days instead of quitting, just stop "buying" things.
Career Officer
# 137
03-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Keep in mind, the game is free now. So quitting is rather pointless. Most people these days instead of quitting, just stop "buying" things.
People stop buying things until the next lock box is release and Cryptic put on a Sale. Then most people go mad. That's practically a guarantee, no-matter how much some people may feel let down.
Commander
# 138
03-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Quote:

True, however there has been a difference in atmosphere not just on these forums, but others (and in game I'm told)since season 7 went live and the direction Cryptic is going is making even their hardened fans start to take um-bridge.

If the update/content/faction/non faction in May turns out to be just another "interiors", then you might find more and more people either leave, or as mentioned, people won't "spend".
From the man himself - "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre"

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under..."Grind is good".
Career Officer
# 139
03-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
oh yeah, what i meant by im partial, i meant impartial lol.. damn space.. lol..

im not saying that everyone will quit.. but i can say that if i managed the game, and saw that everyone was getting ramped up for a new faction, and i was not intending to deliver a faction, i would take steps to come out streight away and say, sorry no faction.. but it is something cool still.. the longer they let everyone build up excitement, the harder the fall..

i didnt say it would end the game, but i know alot of people who have been teatering on weather to devote their time in other games, and ask why they log on..

i also think it pointless to "build" up a romulan faction.. this is a unique game where cbs and paramount already built them up.. this isnt like a game that is introducing something new and wants to give a back story.. it is there already.. i would find it a waste to make romulan content that didnt include a romulan faction..

what i see coming for the "not season 8" as someone called it lol.. is a slew of missions that will be for kdf, fed, and a rom. faction.. we will all pretty much do the same thing with a few promised kdf only missions.. and probably a few less than steller rom only missions..

not that they have made the game cookie cutter with fed and klink, its not really all that hard to make a rom faction.. plus, you know its not gonna be a 1 to 50 faction either, he has said so many times.. so it wouldnt take that much development.. (well not as much as some peeps expect..)..

being a mainly fed playing guy, i really dont care either way, im just saying it as it is.. not releasing a rom faction after teasing it, and letting the player base get all antsy about it would be a bad thing.. especially for one of the less developed games on the market.. cryptic and sto simply does not have the leeway to make large scale mistakes.. they hang by the thread of every season.. they already lost half the player base, and in a f2p move, was able to remedy losing more than half the player base, but i do not think they can afford another drop in the player base..

and free or not.. its about the want to log in.. there are pleanty of free to play games that i have tried, that i do not like.. for instance, i love super heroes, i played cryptics other game (name eludes me for now) and was into it for a little while, but i havnt updtated it in over a year.. cause it just didnt draw me in.. and sto is begining to do the same to me.. and i am a die hard trekkie.. not saying everyone feels the same way i do, but only a fool would think that im the only one...
Lt. Commander
# 140
03-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Quote:
im not saying that everyone will quit.. but i can say that if i managed the game, and saw that everyone was getting ramped up for a new faction, and i was not intending to deliver a faction, i would take steps to come out streight away and say, sorry no faction.. but it is something cool still.. the longer they let everyone build up excitement, the harder the fall..
Overhype, then struggle to lower expectations near release time, and then still manage to limbo under that lowered bar has been Cryptic's pattern the entire time. I doubt they'd stop now. I don't know what purpose they think the ambiguity serves, but it's dumb. Oh well.
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.