Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Career Officer
# 18
03-02-2013, 12:11 PM
I guess it's time for some point assassination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
I see the error assuming physical maturity equaling mental maturity.
Someone that only have the life experiences of a year is certainly not equal to someone that have the life experiences of 18 years.
Like I keep saying, the Ocampans learn fast.
What makes you think this only applies to intellectual knowledge?
They can gain life experience at the same rate, by making mistakes and correcting them.

Quote:
Yes, lets put people with the maturity of a toddler in charge of a Starship, what can possible go wrong?
If that was true, Kes barely being a year old should have been screaming like a baby every minute of the show.
But for an Ocampan one year is roughly equivalent to 18-20 human years.
An 3 year old Ocampan (roughly equivalent to 30 human years) would be mature enough to command a Starship.
It's hard to make proper baseline comparisons since Ocampans don't get the physical signs of aging until they hit 5 years, a quirk of their biology.

Quote:
They are all dead due to 0 population growth.
Didn't I explain this too?
Ocampans have a high birth rate, their population growth is 200-300% percent per year, for a duration of up to 4 years for a single female.

Quote:
They all died because for 500 generations zero population growth and we have the hilarity of a species that due to cannot into genetics that could not sustain itself or not ending as inbreed with little genetic variance due to all the twins required to maintain current population.
Seriously?
How many Ocampans do you think there are?
We only see a few and only during the pilot episode.
There could be a lot more then we are shown.
Certainly enough to be a genetically viable population.

The mistake you keep making and should stop is applying standard time measurement and physical/mental development to a species who marks time/growth in a different way.

You want to know the correct solution?
If you hate Ocampans so much, nobody is forcing you to make one.

But for those of us who are interested in doing so, we're going to!

Final word on the matter, Ocampans are part of STO lore now and no matter how much you wish otherwise, they're here to stay!

And no, I don't think STO could get away with deleting the character after 9 years.
First of all, ingame time doesn't equal realworld time.
And can you imagine how annoyed a player would be if they maxed an Ocampan's Reputation, got all the set gear and a bunch of purple weapons, rare/very rare doffs etc only have all that deleted because of some pointless rule about lifespan which may not even apply anymore!

Last edited by tilarta; 03-02-2013 at 04:31 PM.