Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 67
# 81
03-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacknz View Post
Did I miss this part of the movie???
No this is explored in an Episode of Enterprise I think it is called Assimilation where they find 24th century Borg from the crashed Sphere destroyed in First Contact

And Jonsills I merely stated it is a word steeped in religious origin, I did acknowledge that it can be used to wider meaning however even the words used to describe it are also words that originate from religion. It is heavily Ironic that he used that word to try and insult me because I have a disability. Would you all be jumping to his defence so quick if he had for instance called a person with Cerebral Palsy "limpy", I doubt it and just as misguided as him attacking my spelling, which showed that his argument was found-less as he had to resort to picking my up on my spelling to try and belittle me, using the word Zealot was just as misguided. I do admit my asking him which deity do I have Zeal for was an attempt at reductio ad absurdum but all I said is the question stands as it does.

EDIT: Just googled the enterprise episode and it is called Regeneration, I was close

Last edited by kaaahhhhhnnnnn; 03-02-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 152
# 82
03-02-2013, 08:25 PM
This is why I hate time travel stories in Star Trek. They've gone to that well once to many times. If there ever is a new series or even series of movies they should make it a rule that time travel is out.

But that doesn't mean that JJ Trek doesn't exist. Its just a different timeline which any fan of sci-fi nowadays could understand in concept. If you don't like it, hey, you don't have to watch it. But with another movie being released soon its a bit silly to claim the timeline doesn't exist in treklore.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 67
# 83
03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
This is why I hate time travel stories in Star Trek. They've gone to that well once to many times. If there ever is a new series or even series of movies they should make it a rule that time travel is out.

But that doesn't mean that JJ Trek doesn't exist. Its just a different timeline which any fan of sci-fi nowadays could understand in concept. If you don't like it, hey, you don't have to watch it. But with another movie being released soon its a bit silly to claim the timeline doesn't exist in treklore.
Yeah I am not saying it does not exist it was just that it is not an alternate Universe or more specifically an alternate Spacetime universe. However this thread did give me one idea to deal with it.

Nero in our reality (I say our meaning the last 40+ years of Trek ) went back in time and failed to destroy Vulcan and that is why it is still here. At the same time in an almost identical but parallel Universe but this time he succeeded, this for my comprehension and peace of mind is the JJ Universe and always has been parallel to "Prime" as it is so called. The distinction it is not time travel that created it, it has always been parallel.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,892
# 84
03-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaahhhhhnnnnn View Post
Yeah I am not saying it does not exist it was just that it is not an alternate Universe or more specifically an alternate Spacetime universe. However this thread did give me one idea to deal with it.

Nero in our reality (I say our meaning the last 40+ years of Trek ) went back in time and failed to destroy Vulcan and that is why it is still here. At the same time in an almost identical but parallel Universe but this time he succeeded, this for my comprehension and peace of mind is the JJ Universe and always has been parallel to "Prime" as it is so called. The distinction it is not time travel that created it, it has always been parallel.
whatever helps you sleep at night....still does not make it not canon....JJ trek is canon like it or not.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,147
# 85
03-03-2013, 12:47 AM
It's canon it's just not part of the timeline in which this game is based and at any time in the future anyone could make a story that resets Abrams changes and if CBS and Paramount approves of it, it too will be canon.
Last scene in the last Abrams film, Spock wakes up in his quarters scratches his head cocks an eyebrow and says "fascinating", we then pan backwards out of a window to view his quarters as part of the Romulan capital city. Bam, it was all a dream, it never happened, welcome to the wonderful world of fiction.

Last edited by maxvitor; 03-03-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,390
# 86
03-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
It's canon it's just not part of the timeline in which this game is based and at any time in the future anyone could make a story that resets Abrams changes and if CBS and Paramount approves of it, it too will be canon.
Last scene in the last Abrams film, Spock wakes up in his quarters scratches his head cocks an eyebrow and says "fascinating", we then pan backwards out of a window to view his quarters as part of the Romulan capital city. Bam, it was all a dream, it never happened, welcome to the wonderful world of fiction.
And then Kirk comes out of the sonic shower...

(Admittedly, that's only funny if you're old enough to remember "Dalla$".)
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,147
# 87
03-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
And then Kirk comes out of the sonic shower...
(Admittedly, that's only funny if you're old enough to remember "Dalla$".)
I'm old enough to remember Wagon Train. I remember Dallas, I hated that show, had a girlfriend who was into that crap, but it did make me think of such a scene, it's so easy to undo history in story telling, I don't know why anyone is getting so upset about it.
The Studio had to do something to draw in new interest to the franchise, to make it palatable to the mindless masses who have different tastes than the old die hard Trek fans, love it or hate it, if it helps to keep the franchise alive, I'm all for it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 60
# 88
03-03-2013, 01:22 AM
The Bottom line is that the JJ Abrams Star Trek Universe has been dubbed an Alternate Timeline...similar to the lines of what happened in Back to the Future. The Alternate Timeline only affects the ones who create the Alternate Timeline...in this case Spock Prime, and Nero and his crew before getting kills. They would only be the ones that would notice that they changed their future and no one else.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,892
# 89
03-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliporican View Post
The Bottom line is that the JJ Abrams Star Trek Universe has been dubbed an Alternate Timeline...similar to the lines of what happened in Back to the Future. The Alternate Timeline only affects the ones who create the Alternate Timeline...in this case Spock Prime, and Nero and his crew before getting kills. They would only be the ones that would notice that they changed their future and no one else.
http://youtu.be/5OPkqY9doGE?t=1m4s

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,778
# 90
03-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
And then Kirk comes out of the sonic shower...

(Admittedly, that's only funny if you're old enough to remember "Dalla$".)
T'hy'la

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 PM.