Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 258
# 11
03-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
I'm wearing an Enterprise era uniform aboard the ISS Wambundu, a Mirror Universe Fleet Escort, grouped with a teammate flying a Galaxy X Dreadnaught wearing a Mirror Universe uniform with a Gorn first officer.

What original timeline?
The original timeline that was shown to have knowledge of and direct interaction with the Mirror Universe, in which Enterprise took place, that had direct interaction with the timeline that spawned the Gal-X and even worked with the crew of the Gal-X, and in which the Gorn are a real species!

In all seriousness, though, while I take your point, the ST2009 universe is an exception in that it hasn't been shown to have interacted with the 'main' timeline that we're in at all, beyond this timeline having spawned it; also in the fact that the rights to ST2009 and anything related to the new movie franchise are owned by Paramount, with whom Cryptic have no licensing deal that we're aware of.

Good point, though!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,761
# 12
03-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkindness2 View Post
In all seriousness, though, while I take your point, the ST2009 universe is an exception in that it hasn't been shown to have interacted with the 'main' timeline that we're in at all, beyond this timeline having spawned it; also in the fact that the rights to ST2009 and anything related to the new movie franchise are owned by Paramount, with whom Cryptic have no licensing deal that we're aware of.
I would call a futuristic Vulcan Science Ship and a futuristic Romulan Mining Ship (with their crews) interaction.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 258
# 13
03-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
I would call a futuristic Vulcan Science Ship and a futuristic Romulan Mining Ship (with their crews) interaction.
On the other hand, that's the 'main' timeline acting on the alternate timeline; there is no interaction that cuts both ways. We're just arguing semantics now, though, and shouldn't hijack the thread.

The licensing issues are the prime concern, and are the barrier that will prevent ST2009 from having a direct influence on or presence in STO.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,611
# 14
03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
2009 Trek is a redo of TOS.

They are starting over.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 258
# 15
03-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
2009 Trek is a redo of TOS.

They are starting over.
Except, of course, for the fact that it was tied to the main timeline that we're all familiar with and that the events that take place in it are completely different from the events of TOS without negating or replacing them.

It's an alternate timeline that follows the same people through vastly different circumstances.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 46
# 16
03-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Heres why, this is a paraphrase of dhstahl and company from a few years ago.

STO is licensed by CBS.

CBS have the rights to license All star trek episodes from Ent, TOS, TNG, VOY and DS9
They Also own the movies from Motion picture to Nemesis.

Paramount own ST2009 and Into Darkness.

Paramount and CBS are two different companies.

Since Cryptic has not negotiated a license to use materials from JJ films, and that CBS is not authorised to license out material as it belongs to paramount, we will not see anything from JJ films unless cryptic negotiates and im going to assume CBS would have to approve its inclusion into STO aswel.

TL;DR
Cryptic doesnt have a license to use material from JJ films and would need to negotiate with paramount and most likley need cbs approval aswel, which is likley to cost a fortune.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,496
# 17
03-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestargaze View Post
I really loved some of the design of the last movie and uniform.. which was really great.

Loved the bridge and the view screen that was also a window.

Any chance of seeing this on STO?

.. I would really like to emerge my character in that setting.


Sighs, probably know the answer to that question already.
you go here -> www.startrekgame.com
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
# 18
03-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
So, in other words, CBS has no say what-so-ever in regard to Abrams Trek Film(s)? Thus if Cryptic wants to use any of that material, they're going to need to get permission from paramount (who will likely require a fee somewhat substantial to the one already likely being paid to CBS).
Bingo.

I believe they got some rights to the repercussions on the main timeline (Spock gone, Romulus destroyed) and negotiated for certain other things (There was a Red Matter Capacitor as one of the pre-order items) but anything else would require a renegotiation with Paramount and probably CBS.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,844
# 19
03-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
Bingo.

I believe they got some rights to the repercussions on the main timeline (Spock gone, Romulus destroyed) and negotiated for certain other things (There was a Red Matter Capacitor as one of the pre-order items) but anything else would require a renegotiation with Paramount and probably CBS.
They have a right to stuff like Red Matter because it appeared in the "Countdown" comics which were released well before the movie.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 307
# 20
03-03-2013, 02:46 AM
To explain this another way...

STO is "The Avengers".

JJ Trek is "The Amazing Spiderman", "Fantastic Four", and "X-Men".

We'd all like to see some crossover in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (because it's a common theme with so many of the heroes based in NYC), but the problem is Marvel has the rights to The Avengers, while Sony holds the rights to Spidey, F4 and X-Men.

So, you are very unlikely to see "New Avengers" made by Marvel for the silver screen because you can't get Spidey and Wolverine without paying Sony a hefty sum of your profits. You wont see the Avengers hanging out with Reed Richards and crew either, because again, you'd have to pay away all your profits just to make it happen.

And the fans are the ones that lose out.
The account formerly known as C_Carmichael
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack. I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 AM.