Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Captain
Hey all.

Turning on and off dof in the options (rest is maxed as max can be) using a i5 3570k and a gtx 570 1280 card, does nothing.

The only section of the game i have seen dof work is in the defiants bridge for fed and the kdf equivalent screen when choosing which character to log in with when you load the game. After that the dof never works like that.

Devs can you check into this and maybe say your looking into it as i really would like dof in space and ground, more space tho.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
03-03-2013, 01:40 PM
DOF stuff is set up by the environment artists. There's some shared settings for things like that which many maps can share and it's likely they just have it turned off in a lot of areas, or reduced to a very subtle level.

I'll poke tacofangs and tell him to flex his DOF muscle more often when making environments or something.
Captain
# 3
03-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Cheers.
Career Officer
# 4
03-04-2013, 06:10 AM
i noticed a while ago that this is used very irregular (long before Taco was on the team),

mostly old maps use it.

the most i notice it these days is when the black background with little white stars gets DOF and half of the stars just vanish into darkness and the rest gets darker...

i have it switched off, i really see no gain in it to make things that are sharp look blurry...

...i can imagine fun things you could do with it though... like... drink a Romulan Ale, put DOF value to crazy number ...because your drunk ;P

or add it to the rumble effect when your ship gets hit.

treating it more like FX and less as environment stuff might be a better use for that tech.
Career Officer
# 5
03-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
i noticed a while ago that this is used very irregular (long before Taco was on the team),

mostly old maps use it.

the most i notice it these days is when the black background with little white stars gets DOF and half of the stars just vanish into darkness and the rest gets darker...

i have it switched off, i really see no gain in it to make things that are sharp look blurry...

...i can imagine fun things you could do with it though... like... drink a Romulan Ale, put DOF value to crazy number ...because your drunk ;P

or add it to the rumble effect when your ship gets hit.

treating it more like FX and less as environment stuff might be a better use for that tech.

Just this month I bought a brand-new pc, but prior I had been playing since launch on an middle-aged pc with a poopy ATI card. Now with this new one I can amp everything up and am lovin' every bit of it, however Depth of Field is the only one that appears non-responsive when the settings are changed.

Since I've never been able to see it until now, can someone please explain what exactly it actually does so I'll recognize it when I see it?

I appreciate it.

Last edited by sojournerx; 03-11-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Grammer