Captain
# 1671
03-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoniavrel View Post
Umm...

What?
A pun of "why do people stand at the kang, instead of intercepting the BoPs/Raptors". I actually dont know, what these people are thinking. I mean, common sense should help...
It's new? NERF IT TILL IT BLEEDS

PWE proudly presents STO:Season 9.x: The Big Nerf.
Dil-sinks, EC-Value-Nerf and player satisfaction Nerf (a.k.a. Crafting Revamp), join the most epic grind ever avaiable in STO...
Starfleet Veteran
# 1672
03-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoniavrel View Post
Umm...

What?
I think he forgot to say in that post that it takes 4 Rainbow/Technicolor ships in a CSN to protect the Kang because of the extreme strength of the incoming spawn. The 5th ship should be trying to kill all the nodes and cubes by himself. If the 5th ship shoots at ANY spawn while killing nodes and cubes then the strength of the spawn increases 10 fold and the 4 Rainbow/Technicolor ships may be unable to save the Kang. In a normal CSN the 4 Rainbow/Technicolor ships are REQUIRED to beg the 5th ship to come help them at the Kang. If he does not then the optional may be lost.

One more thing. If any of the 4 ships at the Kang should try to help out at the Cubes then that ship will get cooties and will not be allowed back into a CSN or CSE for one hour.

Last edited by jake81499; 03-03-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Lieutenant
# 1673 Elite PUG
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
A Picture http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...32Blackout.jpg Is worth a thousand words.

#1. Bring Minor, Major and Critical Components to Elite STF's (your not a hero, I don't care what kind of ship you fly.) I have yet to see ANYONE survive a shot that puts out more damage than a hull's hit points.
I think the worst are the ones that leave 9% or so of your hull and as you start heals and evasive the next shot gets ya.

#2 See #1 ^

#3 PLEASE, PLEASE work as a team. That means HEAL your team, focus fire power....etc
I try to throw a heal anytime I'm close enough to the person that needs it. Granted there are times when that's not and option or your a bit to late......but try

#4 10% rule. Although this only really applies to one STF, I think it's a GREAT way to play. It give's people that may not have your firepower the time to catch up, and enables everyone to focus firepower on the Nanite Transformer. sometimes the 10% is not going to happen( large crits....etc) and at that point help the other players catch up and then hustle to blow up the transformer, hopefully you can still make the optional.

#5 Work the same side. It allows for heals to be disturbed, firepower to be focused and things go MUCH faster.

#6 Stay 5k away from the dreadnaught. This can sometimes be a hard thing to
accomplish, try your best.

#7 Team Chat. Communication is important. I have seen SEVERAL posts where people complain about no one talking in STF's. As far as I know we have players from all over the globe playing, which means not everyone can speak or understand your language (despite what the universal translator would have us believe). The point is, if you do understand at least acknowledge so.

There are a lot more things I could list, these are the biggest things that I have seen first hand that can cause groups to fail either the optional or the STF in whole.

I'm not a elitist, crying, raging or anything like that I'm just trying to help
PUGS are a great thing as they provide a way to meet new people, some of which may be new friends, fleet mates or both.

thanks

Last edited by hokeb1; 03-05-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Captain
# 1674
03-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Couldn't agree more with #7. That is the number one problem in STFs - lack of communication causes the other 6 to happen.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Lt. Commander
# 1675
03-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
I won't claim to have had such terrible experiences as you guys- I think I just haven't run enough STF's to get a truly terrible team yet.

Instead I'll offer my closest.

I usually run Infected space because I figure, since there's no failure possibility due to nothing destructable and stuff, that I minimize the chance for idiocy. However, of course, my team is always too busy killing the nanite generators(in fact they often don't focus fire on them one at a time, lengthening the process) to notice the legions of nanite probes and spheres that keep coming through the gate. So, I valiantly break off and engage either in my raptor or odyssey (depending on what character I'm running- don't worry, my odyssey only runs one color of beams), but we end up failing the optional because I just can't kill all of them before they reach a repair point... than I get blamed for it. This also happens on Khitomer although usually it's a lot easier since it's just probes and not spheres.

But hey guys, I dunno about you, but usually I can tell if my team knows what they're doing within the first 5 minutes- doesn't that mean we can figure out what we're going to end up doing ahead of time?
Ah, since this was posted sometime back, I'm not sure if anyone has replied since, but I here's my 2 cents on this: While there is no way to fail the mission, there is a rule that most Infected Space Elite people go by called the "10% rule". Let me explain.

The 10% rule is where everyone picks a nanite generator and hits it to 10%-15%. Then you wait until the other 3 are also 10-15%. Following which everyone blows up ALL of the nanite generators at once - this way, with everyone focusing on the nanite transformer, there is no way all those nanite spheres (and/or probes on normal) will reach the transformer before it is blown to bits. You then proceed to clear all the spheres before doing the same to the other transformer.

The rest of the mission should be simple enough. Clear the spheres first, then focus down the gate - if the cube is chasing you, keep away from the gate to make sure that none of your teammates draw the aggro by accident and get popped. Also, it's a good note to keep about 8-10 km away from the gate, depending on where you're shooting it from (optimally from the side of the gate). Finish by killing the Tactical Cube and you're done!

Hope this helps!
Lt. Commander
# 1676
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
As for my worst experience on an STF, it's hard to choose. I play a lot of space and ground STFs and it's hard to choose which was my worst. It's a hard choice, but here's one that I played recently:

I was doing an Elite Infected Ground run and this guy did worse than absolutely nothing. He moved ahead of the team, triggering the optional timer and the assimilation process of the Fed crew members....and proceeds to die by drawing aggro from every borg around him. Then he goes, "Res me guys! You guys suck! Hurry up!" etc. The unfortunate thing was that all of us were tactical captains - while we can clear the room rather quickly, the borgs can also mop the floor with us just as quickly. We had to play carefully and take cover after drawing aggro. But as soon as we cleared one room and res that guy, he just kept doing the same thing over and over.

I had long since given up on the optional, knowing full well there are those trolls out there that would like nothing more than to screw up pub games, but what ticked me off the most was that this guy just ranted excessively, calling us a fail team and such and being a jackass all game long.
Captain
# 1677
03-05-2013, 02:54 PM
few months back there where a few days where donatra was one shotting whole teams with torp spread.(yes, torp spread, not the energy blast)

even with buffs up the thing was hitting everyone for 150k every time it fired
Career Officer
# 1678
03-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstarfall View Post
As for my worst experience on an STF, it's hard to choose. I play a lot of space and ground STFs and it's hard to choose which was my worst. It's a hard choice, but here's one that I played recently:

I was doing an Elite Infected Ground run and this guy did worse than absolutely nothing. He moved ahead of the team, triggering the optional timer and the assimilation process of the Fed crew members....and proceeds to die by drawing aggro from every borg around him. Then he goes, "Res me guys! You guys suck! Hurry up!" etc. The unfortunate thing was that all of us were tactical captains - while we can clear the room rather quickly, the borgs can also mop the floor with us just as quickly. We had to play carefully and take cover after drawing aggro. But as soon as we cleared one room and res that guy, he just kept doing the same thing over and over.

I had long since given up on the optional, knowing full well there are those trolls out there that would like nothing more than to screw up pub games, but what ticked me off the most was that this guy just ranted excessively, calling us a fail team and such and being a jackass all game long.
That sounds exactly like the very same guy I had the misfortune of pugging with last year. I take it he had a lot of regenerators but not a single hypo/shield charge?
Lt. Commander
# 1679
03-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matridunadan1 View Post
That sounds exactly like the very same guy I had the misfortune of pugging with last year. I take it he had a lot of regenerators but not a single hypo/shield charge?
Haha by the time we got to Rebecca Simmons, he had the maximum amount of stack minor/major/critical injuries possible. Suffice to say he died in 1 hit and did 0 damage.
Ensign
# 1680
03-06-2013, 10:01 AM
not all of us newbies are complete idiots, and even we get pissed at the n00bies

the one with the queen's diamond - normal (my gear sucks, as mostly in rare MK XI's, but I only hit VA the other day)
we made it thru the guard flt with only 1 death(me), my fault I hit CSV instead of CRF... pissed off a few borg's died
get to the 2 big ones
noone focusing fire, only like 2 of us even trying to keep the tractors/regens down(needless to say, I keep pissing the ships off and eating plasma death as I am tractor'd constantly, can't cycle cooldowns fast enough to escape ever 5 seconds :/ )
after I make a snarky comment, someone chimes in and we focus down 1 of 2(taking forever to kill it)
I should have just left, it would have been less painful... fortunately it was just a normal, so no dmg to my ship... just seriously damaging my calm, I was playing blow things up because I was already in a bad mood that didn't help