Lt. Commander
# 161
03-03-2013, 12:38 PM
So many stories, so little time! But at least two more are read now...

Cmdrscarlet: A very nice, quickly paced story with a twist that had me rereading it to fully take in what happened. Orion slavers be warned... assimilation gets you zero sympathy points from Kathryn.

hfmudd: Your story has a very visual writing style that I like, and it really gets into Roshan's head to convey his perspective on assimilation and his insight into what it'd mean for a warrior. Well done!

And agreed about gulberat's story: even the worst Cardassian villains in Trek are shown to really love their children, and it captured and brought to life that heroic aspect of their culture really well.

Last edited by sparklysoldier; 03-03-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Captain
# 162
03-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
And agreed about gulberat's story: even the worst Cardassian villains in Trek are shown to really love their children, and it captured and brought to life that heroic aspect of their culture really well.
You're right...even disgusting individuals like Dukat and Madred talked the talk about families, even if they didn't walk the walk (or did so in awful ways, like Madred bringing his daughter to a torture session).

Tekeny Ghemor, on the other hand, models what I suspect is the "pure" version of such a virtue. He was willing to give up everything, not just for Iliana, but also for a Bajoran woman (Kira) he came to care about as what amounts to his goddaughter. That's why I thought Gul Tassok wasn't just talking when he said he'd essentially throw away his career on the spot.

That and we know about Cardassians that their family structures typically involve many generations living under one roof...which might make the family more easily able to absorb the partial loss of an income (excluding any retirement pension Tassok may get), even in light of his daughter's serious condition.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 163
03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
@ gulberat - actually, a breakdown like that does help. I've been looking at the combat scene in-game with an eye toward "how could I explain what just happened?" Maybe that might help a little?

@ sparklysoldier - Thank you! That's the effect I was hoping for
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 164
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
@ gulberat - actually, a breakdown like that does help. I've been looking at the combat scene in-game with an eye toward "how could I explain what just happened?" Maybe that might help a little?
Possibly so, although the in-game battles are still limited in ways. And even DS9--the best of the series for depicting battle, was IMHO not up to the quality of something like Star Wars or the new Battlestar Galactica. (This refers strictly to effects and battle choreography--Trek is still my favorite.)

If you watch either of those shows--or something else with really good space battles, might you enjoy "novelizing" a battle sequence from that show to see how you like it?
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Commander
# 165
03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Right, seeing as the 2-week margin is now up, I thought I'd weigh in on some of the stories I've read. Better late than never.

@sparklysoldier: Yowza! Yours was a lengthy read, but well worth it. I really like the way you alternated between past and present to create an emotional attachment to Six. Admittedly, there was a lot that sailed over my head (I'll probably have to read some of your prior work to fill in the gaps), but otherwise, I really liked it. It simulated the "feel" of a good TNG/VOY episode really well.

@gulberat: I think everything about your story that needs to be said, has been said already. It was really well-written, and while I feel that "downer episodes" are really hard to pull off successfully, yours worked.

@mussapiens: Your story proves why the Star Trek universe clearly needs more twitchy, insomniac Trill. Although now the idea of a Borg with a British accent has latched quite firmly into my brain.

@shevat: Probably the most original iteration of this literary challenge's theme I've encountered. It reminded me a lot of a Voyager episode I half-saw where Seven kept flipping between various assimilated personalities, but I must admit the idea of "infiltrating" the Borg with a fake personality was intriguing.
Lt. Commander
# 166
03-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
Right, seeing as the 2-week margin is now up, I thought I'd weigh in on some of the stories I've read. Better late than never.
If it's any consolation, I'm sure to still be reading and commenting way, way after the deadline.

Quote:
@sparklysoldier: Yowza! Yours was a lengthy read, but well worth it. I really like the way you alternated between past and present to create an emotional attachment to Six. Admittedly, there was a lot that sailed over my head (I'll probably have to read some of your prior work to fill in the gaps), but otherwise, I really liked it. It simulated the "feel" of a good TNG/VOY episode really well.
Thanks! Don't worry, the mysteries about Azera's past and connection to the Borg are just as mysterious for the characters, and they're foreshadowing the revelations that'll eventually emerge. But if you're curious about the details (and don't mind reading a story I'd love to get feedback on - it was the first Trek fanfic I'd ever attempted ), here's the link to "In Memoriam," a story that expands on her bio using Marcus's character as the admiral who puts the pieces together and has to decide what to do with them.

I've just read your story and it's really interesting to see all the different directions each of us took with the premise. Romance, revenge, drama, adventure, and now almost-supernatural horror: it definitely sent chills down my spine! It has some very creative turns of phrases, the intensity keeps building as it goes on, and I like how, in the best horror tradition, there's no explanation at the end for what it was exactly. It's just something, and those last three words do a great job of crystallizing the eerie atmosphere.

Last edited by sparklysoldier; 03-04-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Ensign
# 167
03-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
I never thought I'd see a complete Star Trek story told in a single haiku...
Thank you. It was harder than I thought, given the format. I had to play around with the exact wording for a while.

Next time, I'm going to try a limerick.

Last edited by nathankirts; 03-04-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Captain
# 168
03-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Okay, an open question here, since there are things bubbling in my head again:

Would it be beyond the pale to write a second tale, involving a different captain and crew?
-------------------------------------------

When I make you breakfast in bed, a simple "thank you" is all I need. Not all this "who are you and how did you get into my house" nonsense.
Rihannsu
# 169
03-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Decided to take a page from marcus and write a conclusion to tie up a loose end or two, which can be found here. Feel free to comment, bash, or praise as you see fit.
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 170
03-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Okay, an open question here, since there are things bubbling in my head again:

Would it be beyond the pale to write a second tale, involving a different captain and crew?
I believe Branflakes said the official stance is one entry per captain, so i think it's acceptable, but as far as i know, no one has done more than one entry.