Career Officer
# 521
03-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Emulator or not, it adds an other layer between the game and your graphics card. Under normal circumstances, you have these layers: hardware > kernel > OS > program. With WINE, you have WINE added between the OS and the program. But, it's manageable if you know how to tweak it.

Example: I opened up Winetricks and made sure WINE knows I have 1024 MB graphics RAM by manually telling it I do. Then I launched the game and went to "Troubleshooting" under "Video" and reset the graphics memory from "Auto" to "1024+" and that fixed a lot of the issues I was having. I can now run it at nearly maximum settings with no issues. I still only have "Low" as max for the shadows, but I was able to turn on dynamic lighting, AA, and a lot of other "prettiness" settings without a loss in performance. So, I'm happy. The shadow quality isn't that big a deal for me.

Another hot tip for anybody who gets stuck in the "Loading" screen with the Starfleet chevron: Open winecfg (Wine Configuration) and add an override for mmdevapi under "Libraries." Don't set it to "disable" or you won't have any sound. Just set it as the default, (native, builtin). I found I was having that issue but I added that override and it starts every time. I shouldn't be getting that since I have the Windows version set to XP, which doesn't even use mmdevapi, but it's there anyway.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 522
03-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgenius180 View Post
Emulator or not, it adds an other layer between the game and your graphics card. Under normal circumstances, you have these layers: hardware > kernel > OS > program. With WINE, you have WINE added between the OS and the program. But, it's manageable if you know how to tweak it.
From my point of view it's more like...

hardware > kernel mode drivers / kernel > OS > user mode drivers > API (DirectX) > program

Which then just becomes...

hardware > kernel mode drivers / kernel > OS > user mode drivers > API (OpenGL) > WINE > WINE's user mode driver stand-in > API (DirectX) > program

(All parts marked in red being common points of errors or performance loss.)

Quote:
Example: I opened up Winetricks and made sure WINE knows I have 1024 MB graphics RAM by manually telling it I do. Then I launched the game and went to "Troubleshooting" under "Video" and reset the graphics memory from "Auto" to "1024+" and that fixed a lot of the issues I was having. I can now run it at nearly maximum settings with no issues. I still only have "Low" as max for the shadows, but I was able to turn on dynamic lighting, AA, and a lot of other "prettiness" settings without a loss in performance. So, I'm happy. The shadow quality isn't that big a deal for me.
Sweet!

When I have time, I'll look into adding more workarounds for the shadow issues under WINE. I don't know when that time will be, because we're swamped with work on both STO and Neverwinter right now. Shadow quality is a big deal to me.
Starfleet Veteran
# 523
03-04-2013, 08:58 PM
I would love to see STO play on Ubuntu so I can finally get rid of Windows Aero for my GNOME 3...
Ensign
# 524
03-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticcliff View Post

hardware > kernel mode drivers / kernel > OS > user mode drivers > API (DirectX) > program

hardware > kernel mode drivers / kernel > OS > user mode drivers > API (OpenGL) > WINE > WINE's user mode driver stand-in > API (DirectX) > program

Sweet!

When I have time, I'll look into adding more workarounds for the shadow issues under WINE. I don't know when that time will be, because we're swamped with work on both STO and Neverwinter right now. Shadow quality is a big deal to me.

Will STO ever be made available for Macs tho.... Wine doesnt work for me and I payed quite a bit of money into my account
Ensign
# 525
03-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticcliff View Post

Sweet!

I wish they would make it available for MAC users tho
Starfleet Veteran
I am trying to get this to run under Ubuntu 12.10 and wine 1.5.25 . So far I can log in and patch and click engage. I get the cryptic splash screen and a lot of fix me's and then the Star Fleet logo appears then a small white box appears briefly with nothing in it then dissapears! I think that might be the connecting to sever retry that many times appears when running in windows. It never dose anything else. Muno updater shows there is a new wine package so I will try updating. It only shows that it is version 1.5 and clicking on it says the list of changes are not yet avalible, so I won't know what specific version of 1.5 it is until I update and do a wine --version check. Ubuntu seems to be keeping up to the latest version within a few weeks of a stable version comming out. STO plays very well under native Vista so, my hardware is good. It might be a Mesa thing since I use a Intle GMA 45 GPU and Mesa seems to have problems with the Intel Ubuntu driver. I might have to switch my PPA to xorgedgers xcrack to get Mesa to work right. Here is the last few lines of Bash wine out put:

fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
err:winsock:interface_bind Failed to bind to interface, receiving broadcast packets will not work on socket 0418.
err:winsock:interface_bind Failed to bind to interface, receiving broadcast packets will not work on socket 0418.

Any suggestions? I want to get this working before the Romulans get here on May 21, 2013!
Starfleet Veteran
# 527
03-22-2013, 03:01 PM
I updated wine to version 1.5.26 and tryed again it went exacttly the same as above except now it says the following:

err:winsock:interface_bind Failed to bind to interface, receiving broadcast packets will not work on socket 03f4.
err:winsock:interface_bind Failed to bind to interface, receiving broadcast packets will not work on socket 03f4.

Anybody?
Starfleet Veteran
# 528
03-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgenius180 View Post
Another hot tip for anybody who gets stuck in the "Loading" screen with the Starfleet chevron: Open winecfg (Wine Configuration) and add an override for mmdevapi under "Libraries." Don't set it to "disable" or you won't have any sound. Just set it as the default, (native, builtin). I found I was having that issue but I added that override and it starts every time. I shouldn't be getting that since I have the Windows version set to XP, which doesn't even use mmdevapi, but it's there anyway.
Nope still stuck at cheveron! (not you just the game). I am using 64 bit wine with:
steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/STO wine $HOME/STO/drive_c/'Program Files'/'Cryptic Studios'/'Star Trek Online'.exe
I have installed vcrun2008 and ie8. Do I need directx or something? I am reading the wine application database that says ie8 and vcrun2008 are all that is needed.
Captain
# 529
03-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykenstrife View Post
I would love to see STO play on Ubuntu so I can finally get rid of Windows Aero for my GNOME 3...
i been playing STO on ubuntu for a better part of a year..

it runs just fine with no issues at all.. i get around 50-60 fps in space and 30-40 fps on ground.

my system specs.
AMD AM3 x2 240 cpu with 4gb ram
EVGA Nvidia GTS450 FTW 1gb video

linux 3.5.0-26-generic 32bit
gnome shell on top of ubuntu

wine-1.5.26 using the POL front end..
i have installed..

IE8
DX9
XINPUT
CORFONTS
VCRUN2008

in pol you have to set video memory and in the game under troubleshooting
[12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
[12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.

Last edited by aarons9; 03-25-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Captain
# 530
03-27-2013, 12:37 AM
i guess i spoke too soon, this new wine that came out 1.5.26 is having an issue..
when i switch maps like say from academy to first city.. the game crashes with an out of video memory error.

there is no way im using all 1gb of video memory..

i have the settings on recommended..

im trying to track down what it is.

edit, it seems to be shadows..
when i put the shadows to low everything is fine..
if i put them to medium or high, the game crashes..

im sure its a wine issue.. im gonna try previous versions to see if one works.

edit2, seems to not crash if i set shadows to low.. medium or high is no good..
i also disabled GLSL support in POL.
[12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
[12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.

Last edited by aarons9; 03-27-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Closed Thread