Career Officer
So here's the core idea. This draws from david wford's idea for logged out fleet members as Bridge Officers, my idea for guest stars (which I chalked up to Kingdom Hearts as a partial inspiration), and Kestrel's comments about how she can't assign personalities to bridge officers.

The core idea is this:

You have prefab NPCs with a variety of distinctive personalities, which may even include canon characters like Worf or Miral Paris or Joshua Riker.

These NPCs are unlocked by a fleets through special upgrade projects using Fleet Credits and have distinctive dialogue.

Once unlocked, anyone with sufficient privileges can "assign" these NPCs to various Starbase roles such as "Officer of the Watch." When assigned, the Starbase NPC gets some added flavor dialogue and takes on the costume of the NPC. There may be other mild perks such as these FOs' traits applying to all fleet members.

Additionally, these NPCs may be utilized by Kestrel for flavor dialogues in missions, with the provision that she'd have to dance around the idea of whether or not they're with you. And players who are members of a fleet may assign Fleet Officers to bridge officer stations or away teams, acting as "shared" bridge officers.

Fleet Officers come totally prefab and cannot be retrained but have perks like unique skills (exclusive ranks of skills or perhaps even a mix of class skills) or unique traits.

You don't "own" them but anyone in the fleet can use them as though they had these characters as bridge officers. They're effectively fleet-shared bridge officers.

Cryptic can release variants of them ore desirable canon characters in doses as limited time projects, like holographic Scotty or, say, during the Winter Event, projects open up for Winter garment versions of the characters and during the Summer Event, versions in unbuttoned uniforms or even swimwear with flavor dialogue about the life support systems making the temperature warm or about how they just got back from the holosuite.

So perhaps Worf is available for Klingons year round as an expensive unlock but around Christmas a discounted "Worf in winter clothes" opens up.

Additionally, holdings like embassies could have the added perk of unlocking additional Fleet Officers of other factions (ie. maxed Romulan Embassy might unlock Romulan Diplomat FOs whereas a Dilithium Mine might unlock Reman and Cardassian FOs).
Captain
# 2
03-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Yes, if it's not fleet locked. I'm tired to see almost everything in the endgame to be locked by another fleet wall.
Best weapons ? Check. Good ships ? Check. Best kits, with Romulan flavor ? Check. Romulan BOFF, and Romulan unique costume ? Check.

What's left for the non fleet/large fleet player ? Omega and Romulan reputation and Cstore. That's all.
Captain
# 3
03-03-2013, 02:57 PM
I like that idea. it would be awsome if thse guest stars were able to assist Fleet members. It reminds me some what of the NPCs in Neverwinter Nights 2.

Thanks for the shout-out, by the way!
Career Officer
# 4
03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
Yes, if it's not fleet locked. I'm tired to see almost everything in the endgame to be locked by another fleet wall.
Best weapons ? Check. Good ships ? Check. Best kits, with Romulan flavor ? Check. Romulan BOFF, and Romulan unique costume ? Check.

What's left for the non fleet/large fleet player ? Omega and Romulan reputation and Cstore. That's all.
Well, I think they really ought to go back and look at "Public Fleets."

But the net result there is that Fleets are a shared burden resource sink and so I'd imagine public fleets would have the same services with exponentially higher costs.

Still, I would think it's worth doing if nothing else to establish the value proposition of joining a fleet.

And I do find most anti-fleet comments overstated. There's hundreds of zero commitment, zero drama fleets that will take warm bodies at present and as long as Cryptic doesn't mess that up, just join a fleet like that.

I mean, a fleet could theoretically just allow anyone to queue or contribute to projects, block anyone from posting in fleet chat, and allow anyone to buy whatever they want and it would work just fine. It's not as if socialization is a hard requirement although doing so may speed up your fleet's progress.
Captain
# 5
03-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I like this idea, there's a crapload you could do with it too! I mean, what's stopping you from having ones available to everyone (Possibly through the CXP tracts), ones available through fleets, and others obtainable through loxboxes/C-Store.

I also like this because you could have some that are customizable but always have the same traits/voices/attributes/abilities, and others that are ridged. Some could even be retrofitted into this like the Holographic and Liberated Borg Boffs.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 6
03-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Very cool idea, i like it.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit