Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
11-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Indeed. If you should find yourself in a totally empty place, don't forget to check if there are other instances with more people you could switch to.

Also, welcome here!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
11-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Hello all;
I recently started playing, and have been a Star Trek fan from the first episode in the 60's. And have loosely followed the development of this game. Over the years I have played some browser space games. They were fun. But this ? Wow. I have only achieved Lt Commander 3 at present, but the play seems endless, the graphic's are cool, and everything I always wanted in a space game.
A thought comes to mind... is there an 'economy' in the game? Say, I craft an item to re-sell ?
Safe flying to all...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
11-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzell
Thank you I look forward to playing, were there always one server only? I thought there was a PVP server at one point. Don't tell me the game is dying Even with an EQ like crowd I would be happy.
Yes, STO is dying just like EVE is dying. And this "crowd" is significantly more active and visible than the remnants of EQ's playerbase (and I say that as an active subscriber & player of EQ - Torv..err Fennin...errr Cazic Thule server). This game isn't as fragmented as EQ's, for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlot
Everything is in the game for a reason. Your first few toons will be tossed before you get half way through with them as you learn better ways to use your toon abilities.
Hmm, I think this depends on if you've done any research on the game prior to playing it (which in this case, your advice seems to apply). Tarania's my first character and she's never been rerolled (I haven't even respec'd her ever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReb
A thought comes to mind... is there an 'economy' in the game? Say, I craft an item to re-sell ?
Safe flying to all...
Yes, the game has quite a robust economy, in fact. However, crafting might not be the best way to get involved in it. In some cases, the game mirrors WoW's economy in that sometimes, the mats to make an item sell for more than the completed item itself. I'd recommend you start smaller, selling the aforementioned foods and doing the buy low/sell high thing. Without the outpost, it's a bit grindier but it's still very doable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
11-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReb
....A thought comes to mind... is there an 'economy' in the game? Say, I craft an item to re-sell ?
Safe flying to all...
The economy is not so important here in this game. You can get good gear by may different ways.
Badges, medals, marks and emblems will get you everything you need for PvE. (might have to do a little shopping for PvP But not much)
Note that stuff you get with badges etc.. is bind on equip. So you can re-sell it if you want.

By Captain level most of my toons will have around 750,000EC to 1,000,000EC just buy selling most of my stuff at a vendor(50% of list) or the replicator (40% of list).

if you have an uncommon or better item, you will want to check the exchange to see if it is worth more.

And has been pointed out-Food for Tribble breeders and anomalies for crafting are always in demand just check the exchange to get an Idea of current prices.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
11-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Thank you for your thought's, Captain's.
The 'economy' question was something I had been thinking about. More in the future, as I gain more rank and experience. And to help the group I am in.
So far my main character is very young, LtC 4, and I am following the story missions. I have and continue to research everything, but asking in the forum, I found to be a good thing.
Again, Thanks. Safe flying to all.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 94
Live long and prosper!

First of all, my *real* name is NOT Irini-Serena, as in-game, but Silviu - I am her uncle playing this game for and *with* her -, and secondly... as a 'noow', what should I do with all these alien beverages and foods, like: Aldebaran whiskey, Tulaberry wine, Romulan ale, Klingon blood-pie, Gagh, and so on? I mean, where should I convert them and into what? If that's the case, of course.

Thank you, in advance!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 989
# 17
03-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetraveler82 View Post
Live long and prosper!

First of all, my *real* name is NOT Irini-Serena, as in-game, but Silviu - I am her uncle playing this game for and *with* her -, and secondly... as a 'noow', what should I do with all these alien beverages and foods, like: Aldebaran whiskey, Tulaberry wine, Romulan ale, Klingon blood-pie, Gagh, and so on? I mean, where should I convert them and into what? If that's the case, of course.

Thank you, in advance!
They are consimables which will heal health for ground play. And they are also used as inputs for certain mission types (Duty Officer System which you get introduced to at level 7) and Fleet projects. But they can also used used to breed tribbles. Tribbles in game terms are devices which can give you an hour long buff(s) depending on on type of Tribble.

How do you breed Tribbles? You need to ask this question?!?

If tribble breeding is not your thing, you can sell to at any Energy Credit vendor. Or discard them into your Replicators (a local vendors of food items and other stuff). Hit I for Inventor and Replicator button at the bottom.

Well Food + Tribble == More Tribbles. Like in the shows when tribbles consume feed they will have offspring. The type of tribbles depends on the type of the parent and which food they eat. And there is a method to the madness.

http://www.stowiki.org/Guide:_Tribble_Breeding
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 780
# 18
03-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Oh look, this game has zombies, too!

So since it *is* a thread about new players, and I am a new player (and thus can't create a new thread myself) I'm just gonna ask this really dumb question...

I've seen references in the store to different bridge 'outfits' for purchase. Also seen the interface for changing the current bridge on your ship in the ship customization area.

Where do you actually *see* the bridge?

I mean, I beam up to my 'ship' and I'm hovering behind my ship in space. I don't see any way to interact with the interior of my ship. Am I just that dense, missing something as obvious as the cranial ridge on my face? No, wait, don't answer that.

Anyway, obviously I haven't missed this part of the STO 'experience' so far, but if it is there I'd like to give it a whirl. Thanks in advance for not stoning me.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 772
# 19
03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsovereign View Post
Oh look, this game has zombies, too!

So since it *is* a thread about new players, and I am a new player (and thus can't create a new thread myself) I'm just gonna ask this really dumb question...

I've seen references in the store to different bridge 'outfits' for purchase. Also seen the interface for changing the current bridge on your ship in the ship customization area.

Where do you actually *see* the bridge?

I mean, I beam up to my 'ship' and I'm hovering behind my ship in space. I don't see any way to interact with the interior of my ship. Am I just that dense, missing something as obvious as the cranial ridge on my face? No, wait, don't answer that.

Anyway, obviously I haven't missed this part of the STO 'experience' so far, but if it is there I'd like to give it a whirl. Thanks in advance for not stoning me.
Click the little drop down menu on the bottom right corner of your minimap, and choose "Visit Starship Bridge". Note this option is disabled if you're already on your own bridge, on someone else's bridge, in your fleet starbase, or certain other select locations.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Career Officer
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 139
# 20
03-03-2013, 08:33 PM
In the bottom right of the mini map is a small down arrow. It should present you with a drop down menu, one of the choices being "visit bridge".

Join AIE Today! http://forum.myextralife.com/forum/6...r-trek-online/
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29 AM.